A Parenting Dilemma

Ulty

As parents, you will all undoubtedly agree that one of our most important jobs is to educate our children as Husker fans. As babies, my wife and I taught our children basic sign language, such as "hungry," "more," "please," "thank you," "touchdown," and "throw the bones." They know how important it is to wear red on Saturdays, and when we visit my wife's relatives in Missouri, they know that they are supposed to act superior to them.

So I was very pleased this morning when my 4 year old son asked me who the Huskers were playing against this weekend. Yes! He's interested in the game! So I tell him that the Huskers are playing at Michigan, and it's a pretty big game. Then he asks what Michigan's team is called.

My blood suddenly runs cold. Although he is showing a gradual interest in Husker football, his number one passion, as with most 4 year olds, is superheroes. So I gulp, and tell him that Michigan is called the Wolverines. His face lights up with excitement and asks if they wear yellow and blue like Wolverine the superhero. Crap.

At the end of the discussion, in which I tried to persuade him that these Wolverines have nothing to do with the superhero, and that we are Huskers, he said he wanted them to tie. He's too young to understand college football's overtime rules, so I let that one slide. At the end he said he hopes they both win, but even if they lose, he said, "It's okay, I will want them to win next week."

At least he embodies the motto of: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

But seriously, I need to burn all of his superhero toys now and replace them with Husker memorabilia, right?

• Fire 9

yep--my boy loves the "trains" (Purdue). At least they are not very threatening. When we play football on our own (more like wrestling with a football) we rotate through names. about half the time he says he wants to be the Huskers but at least 10% of the time he picks the Tigers. I don't ask which ones, because...well there is just some information a dad can't handle.

• Fire 2

Ha.

My 5 year old son has had a thing for trains since the two year old days. Yes, my house is littered with the Thomas pieces of all shapes and sizes. He grew an early admiration for Purdue. Why?.................

Purdue+Boilermakers.gif

Yes. They are the train team. It's the one and only team in all of sports that stand above the Huskers. It was a rough day a few weeks ago as Ameer ran wild on the Boilermakers, and Randy Gregory had his way. I just hope to hell he fully grows out of it. When it's not Purdue though, he's all red.

Help me Lord. Help me.