A Parenting Dilemma

Ulty

My wife is an Ohio native and one of three daughters. She is a Buckeyes fan by nature but really couldn't care less about football. My father-in-law on the other hand, is always trying to persuade my four-year old son to cheer for the Buckeyes. I always tell him if he wanted to have Buckeye fans in his family he should have had boys! I was at the game this past weekend and bought my son a Kenny Bell jersey and he hasn't taken it off since! I'm a little worried that he might switch sides of Ohio State keeps having the run of the league...

Being a kid in the 90's I always thought the Wolverines were cool for the same reasons your kid did. Then when I was playing midget football we had blue and gold uniforms and we thought the Michigan helmets were the coolest one's around (before all this uniform crap going on now they were) so some of our teams would tape their helmets up to look like Michigan's. After 97 though I learned I'm not supposed to like them. I still have a bit of a soft spot, but they are one of the most overrated teams out there.

Both of my boys love the Huskers, they're both 4, so I hardly ever have any problems with them. One of them, the difficult one, said something about the Hawkeyes the other day........................he was surprised at his father's closing speed given such a word being spoken in my home. Needless to say we discussed his staying in this home and how fragile his existence on this earth really is. After the Huskers beat NW on the last second pass, I chased this same child down, tackled him and he was laughing his butt off because he seen how happy I was about the Huskers winning. The kid is obsessed with red too.............I don't get where the Hawkeye comment came from, but I have my suspicions. Our daycare center is run by insanely huge Hawkeye fans. I'll be calling the department of human services at some point to schedule a "surprise" inspection. :lol:

As parents, you will all undoubtedly agree that one of our most important jobs is to educate our children as Husker fans. As babies, my wife and I taught our children basic sign language, such as "hungry," "more," "please," "thank you," "touchdown," and "throw the bones." They know how important it is to wear red on Saturdays, and when we visit my wife's relatives in Missouri, they know that they are supposed to act superior to them.

So I was very pleased this morning when my 4 year old son asked me who the Huskers were playing against this weekend. Yes! He's interested in the game! So I tell him that the Huskers are playing at Michigan, and it's a pretty big game. Then he asks what Michigan's team is called.

My blood suddenly runs cold. Although he is showing a gradual interest in Husker football, his number one passion, as with most 4 year olds, is superheroes. So I gulp, and tell him that Michigan is called the Wolverines. His face lights up with excitement and asks if they wear yellow and blue like Wolverine the superhero. Crap.

At the end of the discussion, in which I tried to persuade him that these Wolverines have nothing to do with the superhero, and that we are Huskers, he said he wanted them to tie. He's too young to understand college football's overtime rules, so I let that one slide. At the end he said he hopes they both win, but even if they lose, he said, "It's okay, I will want them to win next week."

At least he embodies the motto of: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

But seriously, I need to burn all of his superhero toys now and replace them with Husker memorabilia, right?

Remind him that Santa Claus wears Red & White.

He does want to get Christmas presents this year, right?

• Fire 1

This is a very serious situation--you have my deepest sympathies. But at times like these, I find that it helps to look at the bright side of things, so let's consider all the BIG teams your son will never be remotely interested in:

Buckeyes--there is just no way to make a poisonous nut "cool". None. And if/when he catches sight of Brutus Buckeye...game, set, and match--in your favor.

Hawkeyes--nobody is really sure what a Hawkeye is. Some say it has to do with "Last of the Mohicans". Others say it has to do with Chief Black Kettle. Still others say it's the actual eye of a Hawk. But one thing everyone can agree on: no one but NO one cares, least of all little kids looking for a "cool" team name.

Golden Gophers--the Gopher name is bad enough all by itself, but putting "Golden" in front of it officially placed Minnesota's team name just below the "Centenary Gentlemen" on the coolness rankings. No appeal to kids, and nothing for you to worry about.

So that's 3 BIG teams eliminated right there. The other names are pretty run of the mill, so it seems to me that if you get through this Wolverine crisis, you're golden (and not the Minnesota kind, either).

My wife is an Ohio native and one of three daughters. She is a Buckeyes fan by nature but really couldn't care less about football. My father-in-law on the other hand, is always trying to persuade my four-year old son to cheer for the Buckeyes. I always tell him if he wanted to have Buckeye fans in his family he should have had boys! I was at the game this past weekend and bought my son a Kenny Bell jersey and he hasn't taken it off since! I'm a little worried that he might switch sides of Ohio State keeps having the run of the league...

It could always be worse..... When my kids were little, our daycare provider lady (we live in Colorado) knew we were Husker fans, probably because the kids wore Husker stuff at least twice a week. She thought it would be funny to put Buffs gear on them and take some pictures, which she did. I'm not sure if she fully understands to this day how serious I was when I told her that would never happen again. I told her and she laughed (I didn't) then I told her again. I think she got it because that was the last time.

As parents, you will all undoubtedly agree that one of our most important jobs is to educate our children as Husker fans. As babies, my wife and I taught our children basic sign language, such as "hungry," "more," "please," "thank you," "touchdown," and "throw the bones." They know how important it is to wear red on Saturdays, and when we visit my wife's relatives in Missouri, they know that they are supposed to act superior to them.

So I was very pleased this morning when my 4 year old son asked me who the Huskers were playing against this weekend. Yes! He's interested in the game! So I tell him that the Huskers are playing at Michigan, and it's a pretty big game. Then he asks what Michigan's team is called.

My blood suddenly runs cold. Although he is showing a gradual interest in Husker football, his number one passion, as with most 4 year olds, is superheroes. So I gulp, and tell him that Michigan is called the Wolverines. His face lights up with excitement and asks if they wear yellow and blue like Wolverine the superhero. Crap.

At the end of the discussion, in which I tried to persuade him that these Wolverines have nothing to do with the superhero, and that we are Huskers, he said he wanted them to tie. He's too young to understand college football's overtime rules, so I let that one slide. At the end he said he hopes they both win, but even if they lose, he said, "It's okay, I will want them to win next week."

At least he embodies the motto of: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

But seriously, I need to burn all of his superhero toys now and replace them with Husker memorabilia, right?

I was a Missouri Tiger fan from age 4-6. Tigers are cool! Except when I realized I would not actually see a real Tiger, then my interest was lost.