Has our defense improved in the last two games?

Hayseed

I haven't seen this discussed much.

Minnesota ran right at us and pretty much dominated the LOS, but we didn't have huge busts like we have in the recent past.

I expected NW to get big runs around the end like they did in previous seasons. We held that in check for the most part and the D played at least as good if not better than the O. Of course NW's running QB had a bad ankle and couldn't run as good this time.

I didn't expect our D to turn into the Chiefs over night, but I think we have shored up some areas and maybe figured out what we do best.

What do you think?

Using NW as a gauge is a mistake. The hail mary has served as Kool-Aide for some. Let's examine some facts.

1. NW averaged 5.2 yards per carry.
  2. NW is the 74th ranked offense in NCAA (399 YPG). They were held to 326 against the huskers.
  3. Treyvon Green in the #3 TB and he didn't even make it through the entire game.
  4. Averaged 4.8 yards per play

Positive Stats

1. 8-21 passing by NW.
  2. 2-14 on third down.

Northwestern couldn't convert on passing opportunities in this game.

Using NW as a gauge is a mistake. The hail mary has served as Kool-Aide for some. Let's examine some facts.

1. NW averaged 5.2 yards per carry.
  2. NW is the 74th ranked offense in NCAA (399 YPG). They were held to 326 against the huskers.
  3. Treyvon Green in the #3 TB and he didn't even make it through the entire game.
  4. Averaged 4.8 yards per play

Positive Stats

1. 8-21 passing by NW.
  2. 2-14 on third down.

Northwestern couldn't convert on passing opportunities in this game.

Here's a positive stat-

After the first two NW drives for TD's,(both drives went for 75 yards) the D only gave up 161 total yards. They only averaged 11.5 yards per drive during that time span, while during that time span we turned the ball over four times. 10 of NW's points came off turnovers starting at our 38 and our 7. Lastly,(and most important) NW only gained 34 yards in the 4th quarter(23 of which came on one drive). I'd say improvement is there, it's consistency that is key. So, can our defense be more consistent?

Edit- Also, 6 3-and-outs. 7 if you count the interception.

We'll get a steady diet of Thad, rest assured

Interesting you say that as he only really played significant snaps in the fourth quarter. When he is rested, he is serviceable. Not a world beater, but adequate. He was also paired with VV, who commands attention. We also had him playing in the 1 or the 0 tech quite a bit.

Interesting you say that as he only really played significant snaps in the fourth quarter. When he is rested, he is serviceable. Not a world beater, but adequate. He was also paired with VV, who commands attention. We also had him playing in the 1 or the 0 tech quite a bit.

Not true. He played 10 of the 16 possessions (including the first two when we were gashed) vs NW and nearly the entire game against Minny.

He got pushed around pretty badly at times and was a non-factor when he wasn't getting pushed around.

If the best players aren't playing then heads need to roll.

Well...it's pretty obvious this has been happening IMO....why Thad keeps playing (tough guy, praise him for his hard work) boggles my mind!

Any offensive line we've faced has pushed him around quite easily...

And NEB's starting d-ends should be Moss and Gregory.......Ankrah has had a few solid games, no doubt about it, but I don't believe he is better than Moss and not even close to be as good as Gregory.

Not true. He played 10 of the 16 possessions (including the first two when we were gashed) vs NW and nearly the entire game against Minny.

He got pushed around pretty badly at times and was a non-factor when he wasn't getting pushed around.

I apologize, he played when we played sh**ty in the first quarter. Then when he was subbed in favor of VV the level of play went up significantly.

Does it really matter??

We've lost one game and won the other due to a hail mary with no time left on the clock. Two games we should have won, but I think we have to come to a realization that there are many things wrong with the defense, and it's just not one thng...

I think one of the problems with the D, is that our offense is poorly run, and instead of being able to get a breath on the bench while the O puts together a sustained drive, they're winging the ball all over, instead of pounding the rock...

The Minnesota game I hate to say it was basically about the team taking them too lightly. They played 2 really good games before they played the Gophers and thought they were going to walk into that stadium go through the motions and win the game.

This type of performance I put on BP. I say this because I think he takes teams lightly sometimes. Players can pick up on subtle things coaches say that give them an indication that they don't respect the other team. Listening to his taped pregame on the radio, he couldn't even remember the 2 QB names for Minnesota basically saying they looked the same on film. He didn't come right out and say they were bad, but you could tell by his voice inflection he didn't think they were anything special.

My point is that you can think anything you want as a coach but you have to make your players think they are playing a good team. Minnesota is a good team. They aren't great but right now they are playing very confidently and could very well win a couple more games this year.