"I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and how stop the run."

The defense was incredible on Saturday against the Wolverines. It reminded me quite a bit of 2009 (coincidentally the last time I really believed the quote in the topic). We finally locked in on first down and stopped the big yardage. We had pressure. We had sacks. We weren't shy about blitzing.

Is this a result of our young guys starting to "get it" (and the right young guys being provided game opportunities)? Or did our coaches suddenly become flexible with some of the scheme and tailor it to the talent they have on the field?

One good game on defense against a short-handed and downtrodden team doesn't make us world-beaters, but it gives me a glimmer of hope that Pelini and Co. really haven't forgotten to coach defense and how to stop the run.

Yes, it is true.

What's true?

The defense is getting much better and they are being allowed to pin their ears back and not think so much. As athletes they are reacting much better than thinking and then reacting. Sure mistakes will be made and we might get burned from time to time, but I'd much rather go get the ball carrier than wait for him to come to us.

This defense is much more similar to 2003 Bofense than 2009. In 2009 we just turned Suh loose on our 4-man rush. This year we are blitzing every down, and I love it!

We blitz a fair amount in 09 it just seemed like we didn't because with that secondary and our front 4 you could get a coverage sack on almost any down.

One good game on defense against a short-handed and downtrodden team doesn't make us world-beaters.

Who were they missing on offense? I know they had Gardner, Lewan, Touissant, Gallon, and Funchess.

They were averaging 35.1 points per game. We held them to 13 in the Big House.

We only gave up 7 more yards than MSU, #1 defense in the land, who played them in East Lansing.

We are getting better. I hope we continue to stay healthy on D, lord knows the O is dinged up.

• Fire 1
This defense is much more similar to 2003 Bofense than 2009. In 2009 we just turned Suh loose on our 4-man rush. This year we are blitzing every down, and I love it!

We blitz a fair amount in 09 it just seemed like we didn't because with that secondary and our front 4 you could get a coverage sack on almost any down.

Basically what I was saying. The past 2 games we have sent a blitz literally 90% of the time, and I love it. In 09, we got pressure with a 4-man rush because Suh was a man-child.

I think the take away from the Northwestern game was that the defense stepped up and made plays when we really knew what was coming. Cain isn't really all that good of a thrower and Trevor wasn't much of a threat either, really. We knew what was coming and we executed to stop it. That's big. The week before against Minn, we knew what was coming and could not stop it.

This week at Michigan was a step up in difficulty level since their RB figured to be better than what the Wildcats had. And the Wolverines figured to be a bit better in the pass game since they had a couple of pretty darn good receiving targets. Plus it was a road game.

This week, I believe, will be similar. The defense will need to limit Mich State throughout the game, but I don't think Sparty is more talented than the Wolverines. So provided consistency, this is do able.

Hopefully our offense doesn't give it to MSU in great field position on multiple times.

That would be the thing that trips us.

The D seemed to take a big step forward in this game. A top ten team Mich isn't but our D tackled much better, the blitz package worked very well and for once it appears we had DTs that played aggressively - not just taking up space. This D performance plus the maturing of TA gives me more hope going into the final 3 games - the possibility to win out. The 2 previous weeks performances were less hopeful. I think now, if the D plays like this again, the KEY is in Beck's hand (or head). I'm taking the pressure off of our DC and placing it on the OC - Beck needs to call a game that TA can work with. Stop being cute, utilize TA's ability to run the option - which I think he does a good job at. Don't do 3 passes in a row down field etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pelini in large part build his reputation on bringing the blitz at the right time? I seem to remember a lot of good blitzing in 2003 (or maybe it was just Demorrio shedding blocks). During LSU's NC run in 2007, I remember the TV announcers continually referring to "Pelini dialing up another blitz," and we heard a lot of that in 2008 as well when Pelini came on board (particularly the well-timed blitzes from DBs to clinch the Gator Bowl).

Even though blitzing turned out to be unnecessary in 2009, and the speed/talent didn't seem to be there the past couple years, now that this D is starting to put it together a little bit, we are seeing a lot more blitzing, which Pelini has always been a master of when the personnel is trustworthy. It's been a hell of a lot of fun to watch the past couple weeks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pelini in large part build his reputation on bringing the blitz at the right time? I seem to remember a lot of good blitzing in 2003 (or maybe it was just Demorrio shedding blocks). During LSU's NC run in 2007, I remember the TV announcers continually referring to "Pelini dialing up another blitz," and we heard a lot of that in 2008 as well when Pelini came on board (particularly the well-timed blitzes from DBs to clinch the Gator Bowl).

Even though blitzing turned out to be unnecessary in 2009, and the speed/talent didn't seem to be there the past couple years, now that this D is starting to put it together a little bit, we are seeing a lot more blitzing, which Pelini has always been a master of when the personnel is trustworthy. It's been a hell of a lot of fun to watch the past couple weeks.

yes, very true. 2003 the blitz package worked very well for a couple of reasons - DW unbelievable speed and talent to rush the QB from the corners and we had great DBs who could cover man on man. I think you need this combination - if we blitz all of the time but have poor skills in the DB/Corner then we end up wt tired bilitzers and quick strikes to open receivers. With Suh, we had a one man wrecking crew up front but we also had very good DBs and linebackers who could cover. The QB ends up taking time to find receivers who aren't open and Suh arrives and it is sack time.