Martinez Legacy

Seems like Guy and I were writing just about the same thing at just about the same time. Kismet!

Kinda. You seem to think Taylor was a poor qb in hindsight, when I think he is the Diamond we needed. You put him under an O-line like we had in the 90's and a D like 09, I honest to god think healthy freshman Taylor wins a NC and even a Heisman. But the kid was never given the opportunity to succeed like Frazier or Crouch or Tagge. I don't think any three of those qb's could have won any more of those games than Martinez did during his tenure here as none of them except Tagge could throw any better. And Martinez is just as electric as Frazier or Crouch with his feet in the read option game.

His run against Wisky in the CCG will be remembered with and compared to the Crouch run against Missery. In the same way our miracle catch this year against NW will be forever compared against Matt D. catch against Missery.

I'll remember his first run - the 1st time he touched the ball. The unreal runs against KSU the 1st time he played them (Have a friend at work who still bemoans it as he, at KSU fan, was at the game), I'll remember being at the Ok State game in Stillwater where all of a sudden he looked like a world beater passer and we won that scoring contest.

Then there are the low lights - injury against Missery where he never seemed to be the same after that, the A&M Bo/yell fest, and holding your breath each time he passed knowing it may be a wild event.

As I noted above, I place him # 6 on our QB list mainly for the records and the comeback wins

Sorry Mitch Sherman but you don't know what you're talking about and can stop with your conjecture about our guy.

"Our guy"? Is that to imply that Sherman is some kind of interloper or something that was never aware of Nebraska football before this article? I realize the OWH (and in this case former OWH) reporters can be annoying, but they probably do have pretty good contacts within the program. I think the guy still lives in Omaha. Its not like Sherman is some swoop-and-poop national reporter from an outside media market with no prior knowledge of Nebraska football.

Seems like Guy and I were writing just about the same thing at just about the same time. Kismet!

Kinda. You seem to think Taylor was a poor qb in hindsight, when I think he is the Diamond we needed. You put him under an O-line like we had in the 90's and a D like 09, I honest to god think healthy freshman Taylor wins a NC and even a Heisman. But the kid was never given the opportunity to succeed like Frazier or Crouch or Tagge. I don't think any three of those qb's could have won any more of those games than Martinez did during his tenure here as none of them except Tagge could throw any better. And Martinez is just as electric as Frazier or Crouch with his feet in the read option game.

I disagree. I think you put a guy like Tommie Frazier on that offense and in that locker room and you see a completely different looking team. People consistently underestimate the value of leadership and desire. Tommie would have made the team tougher, both physically and mentally and provided the crucial leadership that this team has so often lacked in key moments.

Sorry Mitch Sherman but you don't know what you're talking about and can stop with your conjecture about our guy.

"Our guy"? Is that to imply that Sherman is some kind of interloper or something that was never aware of Nebraska football before this article? I realize the OWH (and in this case former OWH) reporters can be annoying, but they probably do have pretty good contacts within the program. I think the guy still lives in Omaha. Its not like Sherman is some swoop-and-poop national reporter from an outside media market with no prior knowledge of Nebraska football.

I honestly forget that Sherman works for the World Herald, because he strikes me as completely unknowledgeable about Nebraska (maybe he's just unknowledgeable period).

I've had a few interactions with him on twitter and he just doesn't seem capable as a journalist. Like when we took the lead against Northwestern last season, and he tweeted about how this is the time that we usually kick the ball out of bounds or something along those lines. Nevermind that that has happened, to my knowledge, literally once in the Bo Pelini era.

I honestly forget that Sherman works for the World Herald, because he strikes me as completely unknowledgeable about Nebraska (maybe he's just unknowledgeable period).

I've had a few interactions with him on twitter and he just doesn't seem capable as a journalist. Like when we took the lead against Northwestern last season, and he tweeted about how this is the time that we usually kick the ball out of bounds or something along those lines. Nevermind that that has happened, to my knowledge, literally once in the Bo Pelini era.

That's hilarious on his part (in a non-intentional way). It would be different if Nebraska had lost something like 4 games in the last couple of years to an out-of-bounds kickoff late in a game (a-la-Texas), but to make that comment off a single event? Yeah that is stupid, but he probably does have people he can contact on the inside. Whether he can interpret those things correctly...? What is about those OWH guys (Barfy, Chatelan, etc.)

I disagree. I think you put a guy like Tommie Frazier on that offense and in that locker room and you see a completely different looking team. People consistently underestimate the value of leadership and desire. Tommie would have made the team tougher, both physically and mentally and provided the crucial leadership that this team has so often lacked in key moments.

Tommie? a leader in the locker room? Say what? Ok, buddy. Sorry I forgot you know personally what kind of a leader a qb (Taylor) with 4+ 4qtr huge comeback wins, including two of the Huskers biggest ever.