Football Outsiders article on MSU D-Line

JTrain

I said in another thread, Beck will have to call the game of his career Sat. I have hoped, and been disappointed year after year, that we were "holding things back" until the big game. You know "vanilla" D, simple O, etc.... I would love to see the diamond. A LOT. Lead AA with a FB, traps and misdirection. Bell and Quince exploit man coverage. Pre snap motion to make them communicate to adjust.

The play calling needs to help the OL not have to give seconds in the pocket. If we ned to pass, pull a Fresno St with Carr and roll the whole pocket to give time.

They are the real deal. Stacked with seniors, a scheme they can excute and they play aggressive and fast. We need to make this hurt them.

The glory of the diamond formation and a lot of the reason it is so effective when we mix it in is because it is not the basis of our offense. Most of the time when we run it, we are doing so out of a hurry-up situation, and it catches the defense off-guard due to the unique look of it.

I still think we should run it more than once or twice a game, but running it too much would make it easier for teams to adjust to it.

The glory of the diamond formation and a lot of the reason it is so effective when we mix it in is because it is not the basis of our offense. Most of the time when we run it, we are doing so out of a hurry-up situation, and it catches the defense off-guard due to the unique look of it.

I still think we should run it more than once or twice a game, but running it too much would make it easier for teams to adjust to it.

Reason I don't like it for this particular game is it's going to allow their LBs to get closer to the LOS because we only have two real immediate vertical threats. We've got to try to get them to defend sideline to sideline and all the way back to the endzone.

• Fire 1

Reason I don't like it for this particular game is it's going to allow their LBs to get closer to the LOS because we only have two real immediate vertical threats. We've got to try to get them to defend sideline to sideline and all the way back to the endzone.

Why can't the diamond formation do that?

Why can't the diamond formation do that?

Because you don't have as many traditional vertical threats that you do if you have more Wideouts. You could run wheel routes with the RBs I suppose, but it would be a very slow developing play.

We've got to force them to get out of their base defense.

What we really need is for MSU's offense to stink up the place, throw a a couple of picks to give us short fields, blow a couple of possessions by letting His Holiness the Dalai Gregory sack the QB for minus ten.

We need to win this game like we won against Michigan. Don't expect to put thirty on the board. Don't even bother trying; if it happens, great. Keep that defense fresh, make damn sure those blitzes get home, and let Ameer be himself. Let's face it: Sparty hasn't played a back like him in awhile. And as for Tommy: take. care. of. the. football.

• Fire 1

I said in another thread, Beck will have to call the game of his career Sat. I have hoped, and been disappointed year after year, that we were "holding things back" until the big game. You know "vanilla" D, simple O, etc.... I would love to see the diamond. A LOT. Lead AA with a FB, traps and misdirection. Bell and Quince exploit man coverage. Pre snap motion to make them communicate to adjust.

The play calling needs to help the OL not have to give seconds in the pocket. If we ned to pass, pull a Fresno St with Carr and roll the whole pocket to give time.

They are the real deal. Stacked with seniors, a scheme they can excute and they play aggressive and fast. We need to make this hurt them.

I agree-Beck needs to call a solid creative game-NOT CUTE. If the run is working STAY WITH IT!! If it's not then change. Don't be afraid to take some risks but please no cute plays.

• Fire 1

I agree EZ. The diamond may be good for a few plays to try and give them a different look, but I wouldn't rely on it either.

It condenses the defense down near the LOS, and I don't have confidence in the OL being able to manhandle their DL enough to open up things like traps or FB dives out of that particular formation.

Defense near LOS = penetration = negative plays.