Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

While I know Dirk isn't a lot of people's favorite sports writer, he addresses the sobering fact that we have accomplished very little since 2001 in comparison to so many other schools. In the back of our minds we know we haven't had a CC since 1999 or a top 5 win since 200 but that doesn't settle in until you see how many other schools have accomplished this.

If this doesn't grieve your Husker heart, then you've settled for average or mediocrity (yes I'm calling 9 win season average when we seem to only beat teams that we are suppose to, get beat by someone(s) we shouldn't, get blown out by one or 2 teams, and don't have any signature wins). The big question is still being asked: Can Bo bring us back to relevancy? I still don't see it happening. Each year we are given kool aid to drink and each year there are the excuses why the kool aid didn't satisfy. This year, young D and injuries. What will it be next year? Even if our D is more experienced next year and the O returns good skilled players, and we have another soft schedule - all hopeful things - however, I can't drink the kool aid anymore. We still have coaching issues - first time DC and OC still learning on the job, poor adjustments, game mgmt, penalties, turnovers, player development, strength and conditioning issues - these are core to winning at the highest level. I've been a Bo fan from the beginning but these last 3 years have been very frustrating.

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/131118612

Summary from the article:

59: That's the number of programs with a Top-5 win since Nebraska last achieved one in 2001

57: That's the number of programs with an 11-win season since Nebraska last did it ('01).

42: That's the number of programs claiming at least a share of a major-conference title since Nebraska last did it in '99

38: That's the number of programs with a BCS bowl appearance since Nebraska last did it ('01).

36: That's the number of programs with a Top-10 finish since Nebraska last did it ('01)

Dirk ends with some hopeful words:

Those numbers, depressing as they are from a Nebraska perspective, aren't irreversible. Take the Top-10s, for instance.

Notre Dame went 11 years (1994-2004) without a Top-10. Oklahoma went 12 (1988-99). Texas went 17 (1984-2000). Each of those programs rebounded and recently made national title runs.

It can happen at Nebraska, too. But it starts with one big win. One signature accomplishment.

• Fire 4

Im starved for a troph too. But we should have known what to expect with a guy learning on the job. Were almost there. Setbacks have happened. Injuries. League change. Staff change. All under a new coaches wattch trying to learn recruiting at a place with a non fertile recruiting ground. I feel like weve finally settled in, Bo has the gears and cogs set where they need to be. I think a troohy will come to Lincoln next year and the following.

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

I agree with the message behind this post.

I ultimately believe that it wasn't Bo's fault although some systematic things bother me. I do put most of the blame on Nebraska going to the Big10.

The only benefit from a fan's point of view is having access to BTN.

Im starved for a troph too. But we should have known what to expect with a guy learning on the job. Were almost there. Setbacks have happened. Injuries. League change. Staff change. All under a new coaches wattch trying to learn recruiting at a place with a non fertile recruiting ground. I feel like weve finally settled in, Bo has the gears and cogs set where they need to be. I think a troohy will come to Lincoln next year and the following.

I hope you are right. I'm ok wt one more year of this experiment of on the job training - but I can't see it going beyond that if we end up wt the same old average finish.

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

I ultimately believe that it wasn't Bo's fault although some systematic things bother me. I do put most of the blame on Nebraska going to the Big10.

How does the B1G have anything to do with Nebraska's lack of overall success? How would being in the Big12 be any different?

Good thread. I'm tired of seeing the team make mental mistakes and commit turnovers at an amazing pace. This happens game after game and season after season. It's not a player or two occasionally failing to execute. It's a long-term systemic problem where we commit far more errors and turn the ball over more frequently than other teams in college football. We shoot ourselves in the a** so frequently we should incorporate bulletproof pants as a part of the standard uniform.

Other teams deal with injuries. Other teams start young players. Other teams change conferences. Despite that, many of them go on to enjoy success that has eluded us. They win games while we lose them and make excuses and complain about how the winners cheat and life is unfair. I'm tired of excuses.

How does the B1G have anything to do with Nebraska's lack of overall success? How would being in the Big12 be any different?

It's just another excuse. We're lucky we're in the Big Ten, which is a pretty mediocre conference. The Big 12 is quite a bit better. If we were still there, our record would be around .500. If we played in the Pac 10 or SEC, it might be worse.

While I know Dirk isn't a lot of people's favorite sports writer, he addresses the sobering fact that we have accomplished very little since 2001 in comparison to so many other schools.

Mr. Dirk is cherrypicking, and the bolded statement is not true. It only seems that way because the focus is exclusively on the negative statistics and not the positive ones.

No mention of how many other schools have accomplished the 9 win consistency we have.

No mention of how many schools haven't won their division and played for their conference title 3 out of the last 4 years.

No mention of the development and NFL success of the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Phillip Dillard, Lavonte David, Jared Crick, Niles Paul, Cody Glenn and others who were nobodies before Bo came around.

I see we picked wins against teams in the top 5 as one of the measuring sticks - why? Top 5 is abritrary, why not Top 6? Probably because we've had a Top 6 win and that doesn't fit the narrative.

These are just a few examples why it's disingenous to not look at the entire picture and body of work in discussing this. It's nothing more than propaganda.

• Fire 4

It's just another excuse. We're lucky we're in the Big Ten, which is a pretty mediocre conference. The Big 12 is quite a bit better. If we were still there, our record would be around .500. If we played in the Pac 10 or SEC, it might be worse.

How did you come to the conclusions the big 12 is quite a bit better?

How did you come to the conclusions the big 12 is quite a bit better?

Because of Baylor being speculated to jump Ohio State if both win out regardless if OSU beats MSU. Thats how.