Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

Really wish the big ten paired us up w/ Penn State as a conference rival. Other conf. rivals:

UM - OSU (main), MSU (OSU more important)

MSU - ND (main) Michigan (ND more important)

Minnesota - UW (main), Iowa (trophy game)

Iowa - ISU (main) Minnesota and UW (trophy games), NU (trophy game)

OSU - UM (main), PSU (important)

UW - Minnesota (main), Iowa (trophy game)

Purdue, NW, Illinois, Indiana - :tv

PSU - OSU (not as important as UM, trophy game), Minnesota and MSU (1 game played the past 3 years?)

Nebraksa - Iowa (not as important as ISU, trophy game)

Every team is matched up with a main (game played annually) rival (um-osu, iowa-isu, uw-minn, nd-msu) except us and penn state. You could say iowa is our main rival, but Iowa's rivalry with ISU has a lot more meaning. I dont see why we weren't scheduled to play penn state every year as a thanksgiving game. Both programs have legit natl. championships and PSU is the next highest big ten team on the all-time win list (#4 us, #5 OSU, #12 PSU). Would make for a meaningful rivalry.

Good idea.

NU should not have a rivalry with any team that is not a perennial top 15 team. This reminds me of Colorado. Colorado thought we were their rival, but NU did not reciprocate. CU had a few good years, but nothing like the dominate streak of OK. And from 1970 to 2000, NU was 28-3 against CU. Iowa is worse than CU was until post Skippy, and if NU has a true rivalry with Iowa, it substantiates the descendance of the program into mediocrity. Great team do not have rivalries with mediocre teams.

You should probably take an unbiased look at how NU has finished since 2006 and cool it with the arrogance.

• Fire 2
NU should not have a rivalry with any team that is not a perennial top 15 team. This reminds me of Colorado. Colorado thought we were their rival, but NU did not reciprocate. CU had a few good years, but nothing like the dominate streak of OK. And from 1970 to 2000, NU was 28-3 against CU. Iowa is worse than CU was until post Skippy, and if NU has a true rivalry with Iowa, it substantiates the descendance of the program into mediocrity. Great team do not have rivalries with mediocre teams.

You should probably take an unbiased look at how NU has finished since 2006 and cool it with the arrogance.

I am not being arrogant. Every dynasty has a few down periods. Oklahoma, FSU, Alabama all had bad stretches and returned to the top. My point is that by accepting Iowa as a rivalry, we accept Iowa as an equal competitively. I do not want to accept that NU has fallen from elite status and will never return. NU has too many advantages to slip to this level.

I am not being arrogant. Every dynasty has a few down periods. Oklahoma, FSU, Alabama all had bad stretches and returned to the top. My point is that by accepting Iowa as a rivalry, we accept Iowa as an equal competitively. I do not want to accept that NU has fallen from elite status and will never return. NU has too many advantages to slip to this level.

You have a very strange understanding of rivalry games.

If Iowa finds a way to win Saturday, I think this starts turning into more of a true rivalry.

I doubt Husker fans will all of a sudden have a great respect or deep hatred of Iowa if they either win or lose Friday. It's not hard to imagine Nebraska losing a game with their 3rd string QB and the mash unit of 1st through 4th string OL hurt.

Geographically Iowa could fit the bill as a rival, and due to their close proximity there seems to be a fair amount of animosity between the fanbases. But location and hatred alone do not a rivalry make. I believe for a true rivalry there needs to be at least some mutual respect and some give and take (win some lose some, including some upsets or heartbreakers). Iowa, in recent history, has not taken anything from us and we have little reason to respect them on the field of play. So, in many ways, they are just another one-sided rival in the mold of Colorado. Sure we hated them and loved beating them, the worse the better, but for all but a few year stretch they just weren't good enough to earn the rival status from us. Sorry Iowa, you are CU light.

Geographically Iowa could fit the bill as a rival, and due to their close proximity there seems to be a fair amount of animosity between the fanbases. But location and hatred alone do not a rivalry make. I believe for a true rivalry there needs to be at least some mutual respect and some give and take (win some lose some, including some upsets or heartbreakers). Iowa, in recent history, has not taken anything from us and we have little reason to respect them on the field of play. So, in many ways, they are just another one-sided rival in the mold of Colorado. Sure we hated them and loved beating them, the worse the better, but for all but a few year stretch they just weren't good enough to earn the rival status from us. Sorry Iowa, you are CU light.

yoda.gif

For many of our younger fans (me included) who weren't around for the Oklahoma games, Colorado/Missouri were the only rivals we knew. So you guys that got to experience the OU games saying that Colorado was forced upon you after Oklahoma bailed and it was never a true rivalry game, it may feel like that to you, but not everyone.

yoda.gif

For many of our younger fans (me included) who weren't around for the Oklahoma games, Colorado/Missouri were the only rivals we knew. So you guys that got to experience the OU games saying that Colorado was forced upon you after Oklahoma bailed and it was never a true rivalry game, it may feel like that to you, but not everyone.

Just an FYI, not trying to be a smartass or anything, but Oklahoma didn't bail on the rivalry. Texass didn't allow it to continue when the Big 12 started so they could fabricate that thier rivalry was bigger with OU. Before the Big 12 started it was just a nice OOC game that OU usually dominated, but it never meant anything until Texass was allowed to join and take over the conference due to thier $$$$$.

yoda.gif

Just an FYI, not trying to be a smartass or anything, but Oklahoma didn't bail on the rivalry. Texass didn't allow it to continue when the Big 12 started so they could fabricate that thier rivalry was bigger with OU. Before the Big 12 started it was just a nice OOC game that OU usually dominated, but it never meant anything until Texass was allowed to join and take over the conference due to thier $$$$$.

FYI Oklahoma was given a chance to play Nebraska every year as a designated game, but they turned it down. If i remember it right the coach for Oklahoma said it would be unfair to have to play both Texas and Nebraska every year.

Also have to remember that the Big twelve was formed in the 90's and Nebraska was the big dog and Oklahoma was in a down decade.