Any Chance TM can play/start the bowl game?

I've never been a TM fan. The guy had guts, but almost always under performed in big games. However, I'll admit that TM gives us a chance to score more points than does TA. If he's fit, let's use him. However, let's bring TA in for a few series, too.

2010 Washington, 2010 Kansas State, 2010 Missouri, 2010 Oklahoma State, 2011 Ohio State, 2011 Michigan State, 2011 Penn State, 2012 Wisconsin, 2012 Northwestern, 2012 Michigan and 2012 Michigan State disagree with your assessment that he almost always under performed.

Please, if you go back and actually look at the box scores Martinez did jack in a lot of those games. If I recall, 2010 missouri was Helu's 300 yard rushing performance and a lot of these games you mention coincide with a huge performance from one of our backs or timely play by our defense. People seem to be real quick to forget games where he single handily threw us out of games by throwing horrible picks without a nebraska receiver within 5-10 yards of the ball.

Not sure how confident I'd feel having him in there when he hasn't been able to suit up, much less run normally since September.

I've never been a TM fan. The guy had guts, but almost always under performed in big games. However, I'll admit that TM gives us a chance to score more points than does TA. If he's fit, let's use him. However, let's bring TA in for a few series, too.

2010 Washington, 2010 Kansas State, 2010 Missouri, 2010 Oklahoma State, 2011 Ohio State, 2011 Michigan State, 2011 Penn State, 2012 Wisconsin, 2012 Northwestern, 2012 Michigan and 2012 Michigan State disagree with your assessment that he almost always under performed.

Please, if you go back and actually look at the box scores Martinez did jack in a lot of those games. If I recall, 2010 missouri was Helu's 300 yard rushing performance and a lot of these games you mention coincide with a huge performance from one of our backs or timely play by our defense. People seem to be real quick to forget games where he single handily threw us out of games by throwing horrible picks without a nebraska receiver within 5-10 yards of the ball.

Not sure how confident I'd feel having him in there when he hasn't been able to suit up, much less run normally since September.

By all means, debunk Landlord's list with stats to back up your claims.

And please provide a list of games, with stats supporting your claim, that Taylor "single-handedly threw us out of games." You could cite 2011 Wisconsin and 2011 Michigan, but you'd also have to throw in (to meet your standard of how Taylor didn't help us win those games because another player's big performance coincided with the win) the defense's utter meltdowns in those games as well.

he played in what, 45 games during his career here...and you managed to list 11. Yup, that's about right...

And please provide a list of games, with stats supporting your claim, that Taylor "single-handedly threw us out of games." You could cite 2011 Wisconsin and 2011 Michigan, but you'd also have to throw in (to meet your standard of how Taylor didn't help us win those games because another player's big performance coincided with the win) the defense's utter meltdowns in those games as well.

Gladly, here's a link that breaks down his statistical performance against every team he played, scroll to the bottom, also provides info for home/road, conference records etc.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taylor-martinez-1/splits/

Very apparent he racked up the bulk of his stats against inferior competition (as do all players) but then dipped dramatically when facing opponents that did not consistently give up 80 yard runs right up the middle to him

None of those are big games. They were all conference games in which he had decent to good showing in each. The only big games TM participated in were 2 CCGs and 3 bowl games and he wasn't spectacular in none of them. 0-5

Gladly, here's a link that breaks down his statistical performance against every team he played, scroll to the bottom, also provides info for home/road, conference records etc.

http://www.sports-re...tinez-1/splits/

Very apparent he racked up the bulk of his stats against inferior competition (as do all players) but then dipped dramatically when facing opponents that did not consistently give up 80 yard runs right up the middle to him

Interesting link but it really did nothing to back up your argument. In fact, it basically just disproves your argument. Look at his qb rating, the only teams it drops below 100 is against: Chatanooga, Michigan St., Oklahoma and Texas. It's not the end all gauge of qb performance but it gives a pretty quick picture that he must be AT LEAST decent when it's over 100 majority of the time.

To the OP, like others have said, I would love for Martinez to get the start but that is only if he is 100% healthy.

Also, how bout 2012 ohio state. Prime time national TV and martinez chucks 3 Ints as both our offense and defense get embarrassed on national TV

http://www.sports-re...tinez-1/splits/

You post his Career stats that shows no individual game performaces

Show me in those stats where it provides basis for your points

he played in what, 45 games during his career here...and you managed to list 11. Yup, that's about right...

The distinguishing characteristic given was 'big games', not all games. Not exactly a scientific metric for determining what is or isn't big, but I looked mostly at games in hostile environments, primetime national matchups and against ranked teams.

I'm going to echo Knapp and say, yes, please, come back at me with statistics to prove your point.

But even if you do, you're having it both ways. You can't simultaneously discredit him for single-handedly losing us games while also discrediting him for not single-handedly winning us games.

Actually you know nevermind, I'll do the statistics myself thanks:

2010 Washington (First ever game against BCS competition in the loudest stadium in the country)

150 yards passing, 1 TD, 0 picks - 137 yards rushing, 3 TD

2010 Kansas State (Thursday night conference opener on national primetime television)

128 yards passing, 1 TD, 0 picks - 241 yards rushing, 4 TD

2010 Oklahoma State (Away game against #14 ranked team)

323 yards passing, 5 TD, 0 INT - 112 yards rushing

2010 Missouri (Against #6 ranked team)

115 yards passing, 1 TD, 0 INT - 16 yards rushing (was injured in the 3rd quarter)

2011 Ohio State (Primetime national game against a bad OSU team that still had elite talent)

191 yards passing, 2 TD, 1 INT - 102 yards rushing, 1 TD

2011 Michigan State (Against #9 ranked team)

80 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT - 23 yards rushing

2011 Penn State (Away game against #12 ranked team)

143 yarsd passing, 0 TD, 0 INT - 56 yards rushing

2012 Wisconsin (Primetime national game)

181 yards passing, 2 TD, 0 INT - 107 yards rushing, 1 TD

2012 Northwestern (Away game against the team that finished the season #16)

342 yards passing, 3 TD, 0 INT - 65 yards rushing, 1 TD

2012 Michigan (Against #20 ranked team)

166 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT - 58 yards rushing

2012 Michigan State (Away game, quasi night/primetime game. Debatable on 'big game' metrics I suppose)

160 yards passing, 2 TD, 3 INT - 205 yards rushing, 2 TD

• Fire 4

Going further, and defining it differently here's the results of every game Taylor has played against ranked teams:

#14 Oklahoma State - W

#6 Missouri - W

#19 Texas A&M - L

#9 Oklahoma - L

#7 Wisconsin - L

#9 Michigan State - W

#12 Penn State - W

#18 Michigan - L

#9 South Carolina - L

#12 Ohio State - L

#22 Michigan - W

#7 Georgia - L

#16 UCLA - L

Total record 5-8

Even if you don't talk about his ankle injury in 2010, even if you don't recall the 16-2 penalty disparity against A&M, even if you don't talk about the historically bad defensive performances giving up 48, 48, 63, 45 points, even, if you don't remember how we were taking it to SC until the hail mary and ameer fumbling at the 1 inch line, he still won 40% of his games against ranked teams, losing 60%.

The original statement said he almost always underperformed. I would say always is 100%, right? 60 doesn't seem to be almost 100 to me.

I'm going to cede my mic time to Landlord, who seems more than capable of handling this one. I've had this conversation dozens of times.

Either you think Martinez was a good addition to the team or you don't. No amount of stats or interpretation is going to change that at this stage of his career.