2014 Alternate Unis?

Redux

Just so we are clear. Mowing a lawn for someone who can't do it themselves because they are fighting a disease is very noble of you. However unless people know that is why you are doing it, it doesn't bring awareness or funding to the cause.

Now, if you wore a pink shirt while mowing the lawn and maybe put out a sign saying what you are doing, then you are bringing awareness.

With out some sort of notoriety, you are not bringing any awareness to anything. You are quite literally just a nice guy mowing a lawn.

The wearing of pink is not "Slacktivism". It's awareness. these 2 things are very different from each other

This is certainly tangent and I apologize, but find me someone that isn't "aware" of breast cancer and I'll be shocked. It's the most marketed "disease" on the planet and has made boatloads of millionaires in the US. The travesty is that deaths as a result of breast cancer are just a fraction of the deaths of heart disease, diabetes, and others. MANY directly related to obesity - yet the funding gets pumped into pink like half the nation was fighting it while things like nutrition in school lunches is hardly a blip on the radar.

This is coming from someone who's lost two immediate family members to breast cancer so don't crucify me. I'm not saying "less" attention needs paid towards it - but there is not an infinite amount of money - so if funds need to be directed somewhere I'd like to see it directed somewhere that could have an even larger impact. I just think bringing awareness to breast cancer is doing little these days to cure breast cancer. And wearing a shirt or putting out a sign is only bringing awareness to the individual who's performing the task.

• Fire 4

You know the guys that make sure to butt in when you're talking with a buddy about a good tv show, to make sure you know they don't have a tv because it's below them.

Do you watch any particular TV shows to support a cause?

I'm not sure if you are being serious and don't understand metaphors, or if this was supposed to be funny.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm outraged because you dare to call anyone a slacktivist, because they support an organization that helps fund awareness for a horrible disease and is looking to cure it. I'm not feigning sh#t here. Keep mowing lawns though. I'm sure it feels great to do nothing while 40k women die a year.

And I'm claiming the high road? This coming from someone that is judging everyone that supports a charitable organization. You're like those a$$hole$ that point out they don't own a TV in every f'ing conversation.

Here's the problem: You don't speak for everybody involved with breast cancer. Here is a woman who had breast cancer, and this is what she told us:

This takes the prize for the most audacious way to profit from a person's breast cancer experience......Columbus Telegram is selling ads to honor your loved one in the breast cancer awareness section!! Really???? Come On.....I'm telling you all (in a loving way) that my name, picture, etc. BETTER NOT appear in that paper! I was sick of hearing about breast cancer awareness month on Oct. 1st. I am acutely aware of breast cancer, as are many other people. I despise pink ribbons. This is not a rah rah thing to celebrate. It has been a devastating life experience. I'm sick of the "get your mammogram or else" spiel. If we would spend as much time educating people to modify their risk factors, get up and exercise, and quit eating chemical laden foods that would be different, but no....just mammograms and pink ribbons! Lol Arghhh!! Well, now that I got that off my chest, I'm sorry if my feelings have offended anyone.

So don't get your panties in a bind, and don't tell me / her / anyone else how to think, act, react, dress, or post based on how you think. Get over yourself.

• Fire 1

I'm outraged because you dare to call anyone a slacktivist, because they support an organization that helps fund awareness for a horrible disease and is looking to cure it. I'm not feigning sh#t here. Keep mowing lawns though. I'm sure it feels great to do nothing while 40k women die a year.

And I'm claiming the high road? This coming from someone that is judging everyone that supports a charitable organization. You're like those a$$hole$ that point out they don't own a TV in every f'ing conversation.

Here's the problem: You don't speak for everybody involved with breast cancer.

Jesus Christ what is your deal? Did I ever claim to speak for anyone other than myself? I have family that suffered through breast cancer, and they embraced the pink. So I embraced the pink, like millions of other people have done. To support my aunt, who almost died because her own body turned against her.

So don't get your panties in a bind, and don't tell me / her / anyone else how to think, act, react, dress, or post based on how you think. Get over yourself.

This has to be a joke. Right? You can't be this big of an idiot. Right? The only person telling anyone how to think, act, or dress is you. Exhibit A:

Wearing pink to support breast cancer = slacktivism.

You want to help? go mow a lawn for someone with cancer, take an afternoon off to run someone to a doctor's appointment, watch the kids, buy a tank of gas, whatever.

Wearing a ribbon or "Liking" something on Facebook doesn't really help anybody, and "raising awareness" isn't doing anything concrete, it's just an attempt to pass the buck on to someone who will actually do something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacktivism

Go away troll.

Sorry for the multiple posts, phone is f'ing up

BzR1BseIcAAfq6v.jpg

I like those a lot. That gold trim looks sharp and pops nicely off the black...unlike the silver/gray (whatever color that was supposed to be) numbers on our red alts this year.

Black & gold are the original colors before purple. The gothic lettering is on the main sign on the campus. The #51 is Pat Fitzgerald's number, also another linebacker by the name of Dick Butkus. The defense needs to play like Fitzgerald and Butkus to have a chance against a very tough Nebraska team with an all-american running back.

• Fire 1