Kevin Sumlin considering Terry Joseph

Like it or not, assistant salaries are where the 'arms race' is right now, and if we want to play with the big boys, we need to pay like the big boys. And anyone who thinks NU can't afford it, is simply delusional.

They have the 19th most assistant salary pool in the country and 4th most in the B1G at $2.1M

Bama is 1 the assistant coaches pool is about $3.9M

tOSU is 4 and theirs is about $3.2M

19th out of 65 is ok, but its not elite. I use 65 as that will be the 'Power 5' plus Notre Dame. Anyone not in that pool of schools is not remotely on the same financial level.

Like it or not, assistant salaries are where the 'arms race' is right now, and if we want to play with the big boys, we need to pay like the big boys. And anyone who thinks NU can't afford it, is simply delusional.

They have the 19th most assistant salary pool in the country and 4th most in the B1G at $2.1M

19th out of 65 is ok, but its not elite. I use 65 as that will be the 'Power 5' plus Notre Dame. Anyone not in that pool of schools is not remotely on the same financial level.

I think Nebraska needs to commit more to ACs but our current staff isn't really deserving of being highly paid. If we want to bring in some major league coaches and recruiters, we need to pay major league money, no doubt. Right now, we've got a bunch of guys with weak resumes on staff save a few.

I think Nebraska needs to commit more to ACs but our current staff isn't really deserving of being highly paid. If we want to bring in some major league coaches and recruiters, we need to pay major league money, no doubt. Right now, we've got a bunch of guys with weak resumes on staff save a few.

I honestly think it is in part to our previous AD who was not a big believer in the arms race of assistant salaries. Leads to poor hires, as conversations stop when the money is known to be low

It is pretty sad he has to do this in order to get more money.

As someone who is in the industry of getting people jobs... You never accept a counter offer.

Just curious, but how come?

I honestly think it is in part to our previous AD who was not a big believer in the arms race of assistant salaries. Leads to poor hires, as conversations stop when the money is known to be low

Is that really substantiated? I thought Nebraska has paid its assistants commensurate to their worth, up to this point. Some of them didn't make a whole lot, but that's because you don't make a whole lot when you're just coming out of a GA (for example), or when you're a first-time OC. Beck is pretty well paid, by now.

It is pretty sad he has to do this in order to get more money.

As someone who is in the industry of getting people jobs... You never accept a counter offer.

Just curious, but how come?

Is that really substantiated? I thought Nebraska has paid its assistants commensurate to their worth, up to this point. Some of them didn't make a whole lot, but that's because you don't make a whole lot when you're just coming out of a GA (for example), or when you're a first-time OC. Beck is pretty well paid, by now.

Guys who were held over from Callahan didnt make going rates for where we want to consider ourselves. Watson for example had plenty of experience.

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth after reading his comments about it all being about him getting his contract extended and getting paid?

Don't want to make too much of it, but if that is the sole reason you're in it, don't let the door hit ya.

• Fire 1