Kevin Sumlin considering Terry Joseph

We have had a pretty stellar secondary despite attrition at this coaching position. I just have to think that Bo has a lot to do with the development of the coaches and players, moreso than just picking 3 good guys in a row. This makes me feel better about this loss.

Josh Mitchell@J_Mitch052m

Another year another coach...best of luck to coach Joseph thank you for everything u did in your time with us in Lincoln

This is not the position group that can afford to lose a coach this off-season. damn.

I think we'll be okay. Bo was a safety, after all, and started as a secondary coach and then linebackers coach in the league before coming here - I think he's capable of keeping that position relatively consistent throughout a coaching change.

We only have to replace one person in base and two in nickel. I think people are over reacting (as usual) Safety play is the most important in Bos D and we have both starters coming back with great depth developing behind them. The light is coming on for J Rose so we only need to find a nickel. CJax should take that easily if he stays. Depth is concerning at CB, just can't afford a rash of injuries.

We only have to replace one person in base and two in nickel. I think people are over reacting (as usual) Safety play is the most important in Bos D and we have both starters coming back with great depth developing behind them. The light is coming on for J Rose so we only need to find a nickel. CJax should take that easily if he stays. Depth is concerning at CB, just can't afford a rash of injuries.

And when the starters get tired or injured?

One good thing about the D next year is that the front 7 should be pretty good/great. That should help take some pressure off the secondary next year.

I hope the front 7 is good enough to handle the run with out a safety rolled up. With not much depth at corner we will most likely need to keep the cover 2 shell with two safeties over the top to protect the corners.

Josh Mitchell@J_Mitch052m

Another year another coach...best of luck to coach Joseph thank you for everything u did in your time with us in Lincoln

This is not the position group that can afford to lose a coach this off-season. damn.

I think we'll be okay. Bo was a safety, after all, and started as a secondary coach and then linebackers coach in the league before coming here - I think he's capable of keeping that position relatively consistent throughout a coaching change.

I also think we'll be just fine. It still sucks to have so much turnover with our DB coaching job, which makes it that much more impressive how well that position has performed.

And when the starters get tired or injured?

We don't seem to rotate guys in the secondary very much so tired really not much of an issue. Injuries could be. Hopefully not so much at safety as we have several young guys there (assuming they're serviceable). Corner is pretty thin unless all our juniors (three here now plus Cockrill) all step up.

I wonder if this means there was no raise to give him or that it didn't matter either way.

I'd say we more than likely didn't think his performance warranted a the raise and extension he wanted as we could replace his production (+some, dependent on the hire) for similar cost.