New DB Coach Search

I posted this earlier but I'm not sure how you get a "splash" hire as a position coach. You're probably hiring someone from a small school or a lateral move from a bigger school but neither of those is likely to be a "name". Anyone who fits that description who is actually really well known is getting a bigger promotion - to a coordinator or a small-school HC job. Getting a smaller-school coordinator to be a position coach for us is literally about as good as we (or most anyone) could hope for.

The only reason Sanders was widely known was because he's been here before. If he'd had the same career but at Georgia instead, almost no one would know about him (on this board).

Shawn Watson to QB coach at Texas says hello.

Explain what's different about the recruiting. And why he doesnt have to do it. I seriously dont understand.

Lots man, lots. These kids are brought in not just for the schooling..but for the military as well. You get the military involved and everything changes.

ASVAB testing, which is required for entrance into any of the Armed Forces and military academies needs to take place...not all schools provide this testing like schools in Nebraska do (I took mine in High School). Of course, this requires an extra layer of personnel manager to let the coach know who they are required to recruit. ASVAB scores are huge for the military...if you score almost a perfect score on ACT but suck it on the ASVAB, you're not making it in.

Another difference is that a kid who goes into the AF Academy will be assigned a local recruiter to interact with somewhere inside or around their local town and be required to go through MEPS medical (Military Entrance Processing Station) before they are allowed to sign on with the Academy...the military will turn away just about anyone for anything...the doctors are told to be as exclusive as possible. My buddy had to get a waiver for a slight curvature of his spine (not scoliosis, just a natural curvature).

All the academic layers need to line up AND tests from the local recruiter, medical testing, process through MEPS and not to mention that if a guy who wants to go to the academy wants to do a certain job for a certain degree he's getting and it's not available...he'll have to pick another career when he gets out...when you sign your name on the line for the military, you have to have your specialty already picked out...same is true for these gentlemen in the academy.

After all of those things are combined, a panel of senior officers get together and combine everything into a weighted objective composite score and decide if a person gets in. These officers don't see names on these lists...they see a score.

So, as you can see...application and qualification is completely different than that for a standard college...and thus recruiting is completely different as well because it has to be.

I got it. But I guess my question is in regards to Warren's role. Does he not have much role at all in such recruiting, and if so, it just appears to me it'd be more difficult to lure the guys to that program, hence, making it easier for him to recruit to Nebraska. This is where my opinion came from that he could be a solid recruiter at a public type of university with less to convince of.

2009 - #5 Pass Defense

2010 - #2 Pass Defense

2011 - #6 Pass Defense

2012 - #35 Pass Defense

2013 - #78 Pass Defense, 114th nationally in total defense, 2-10 record

2009 - #47 Rush Defense

2010 - #101 Rush Defense

2011 - #109 Rush Defense

2012 - #101 Rush Defense

2013 - #121 Rush Defense

:confucius

This shows me that they didn't have the ball thrown on them that much at all.

2011: People threw the ball on 36.0% of their offensive plays against Air Force

2010: People threw the ball on 36.9% of their offensive plays against Air Force

2009: People threw the ball on 41.3% of their offensive plays against Air Force

That means they were running the ball right down their throat and that the pass defense everyone is all excited about is because they didn't have many teams throw versus them. Less attempts = better stats.

Show me the efficiency statistics please. We've already gone through the false argument that bad run defense = good pass defense.

2009 - #5 Pass Defense

2010 - #2 Pass Defense

2011 - #6 Pass Defense

2012 - #35 Pass Defense

2013 - #78 Pass Defense, 114th nationally in total defense, 2-10 record

2009 - #47 Rush Defense

2010 - #101 Rush Defense

2011 - #109 Rush Defense

2012 - #101 Rush Defense

2013 - #121 Rush Defense

:confucius

This shows me that they didn't have the ball thrown on them that much at all.

2011: People threw the ball on 36.0% of their offensive plays against Air Force

2010: People threw the ball on 36.9% of their offensive plays against Air Force

2009: People threw the ball on 41.3% of their offensive plays against Air Force

That means they were running the ball right down their throat and that the pass defense everyone is all excited about is because they didn't have many teams throw versus them. Less attempts = better stats.

This is what I was gonna mention. We know that they play 2 teams in Army and Nave that run the ball on an almost exlusive basis. Again, a pass yards per attempt would be a more telling stat, like how Bo's defenses are always high on the pass efficiency ratings, because it literally has nothing to do with the strength of your run defense.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014, that it would be hard to bring in top coaching talent to Nebraska. Not that its not a desirable place to coach but the uncertainty has to be considered by potential coaching candidates. These guys have to look out for number one and their families, can't really say I would blame a highly sought after coach.

If it were up to most people on this board it is like signing a one year contract only, as most are calling for Bo's head each and every year.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014

Whose fault is that, though?

Kinda how the ball rolls. A coach with a lot of momentum should attract a lot of candidates. A coach in 4-loss stasis has to work harder to convince guys of the opportunity.

Rumblings that Charlton Warren, the D Coordinator for Air force will be announced as our DB coach soon. May be true, may be untrue.

-- Charlton Warren, Air Force associate head coach, defensive coordinator and secondary coach. He just completed his ninth season overall and second as associate head coach and defensive coordinator at Air Force. He was co-defensive coordinator and secondary coach for four seasons and recruiting coordinator for six seasons prior to 2012. In 2011, the Falcons ranked third nationally in pass defense. This past season, they slid to 114th nationally in total defense while finishing 2-10. http://journalstar.c...19bb2963f4.html

Also was Air Force's recruiting coordinator before become defensive coordinator so that sounds good to me.

If you're a football recruiting coordinator at AF you dont really do much. These kids are being recruited to be in the AF and football is a perk. Much more important things than football for an AF student. They are not just committing for 4 years.

Now saying that, i'd rather have a good DB coach than a good recruiter and im glad to see Bo go "outside the family." And with new recruiting dept it shouldnt be as big of a deal, if we ever get it up and running! So far behind on that it isnt funny.

I also like the fact he will be bringing his military background and can hopefully help with ingraining the importance of discipline, work ethic, and teamwork.

I think you'd be surprised at how hard job being and RC at a place like that could be. You're looking at kids that will fit your style as much as anything. And while you may be looking at kids who want a military education there are several perhaps even the majority that you bring in after selling them on the idea that the military is a good option after football. That falls right into our line of thinking. We are students/life skills first, athletes after that.

As far as dropping d stats this year its more to do about the Dline than the DBs.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014

Whose fault is that, though?

Kinda how the ball rolls. A coach with a lot of momentum should attract a lot of candidates. A coach in 4-loss stasis has to work harder to convince guys of the opportunity.

Yeah. I see Florida who lost 7 games had a horrible time getting an new OC./sarcasm. Perhaps when their AD came out in public support an reassured everyone that they were keeping their coach and he had a tough go of it because they lost a starting QB, 2 Oline and their #1 WR it was as much about that as anything. He also publicly stated he thought he'd be here for a long period of time that killed the media sharks that were starting to circle. Their coach put them in the exact same situation (or worse) and yet they reacted completely different. Why is that? Will has the same rep of being a hot head and similar relationships with the media. So what's different?

• Fire 4