New DB Coach Search

I'm sorta curious what happened with Sanders. It was a serious possibility that was flirting with certainty for a couple days there, then it just seemed to get washed away. I'm just curious what went down there, if anyone knows.

What are you basing this "serious possibility" on?

I should say it sounded like a serious possibility. And it was from more than just EZ. He was in town, and it was in regards to the job from what I was told. But maybe it was more hope than actuality. I'm just curious if anyone knows for sure if it ever was, and if so, what happened to wipe it away.

Sipple article on it. Sanders runs a huge program in Redondo Beach...blocks form the ocean. Move to Lincoln? um.........

I really like the hire. D-Coord experience, recruiting coord experience, asst head coach.......good stuff.

I thought he'd already resigned from the HS position?

Agree on Warren. Like the academy background. He's been working with 100 or so very disciplined players for a long time. Those kids balance/juggle a lot more than your average student athlete. Any team could benefit from someone with that background.

I don't know how to feel about this.

One the one hand, it's not the same as it has been, being one of Bo's buddies, or just another Youngstown guy. And he has experience - and success.

On the other hand, it kind of feels like... I don't know, picking the tallest midget? I realize position coaches aren't huge known-name people in the college football world (unless they're elite), but when's the last time Nebraska has hired a coach that people have actually heard of before?

On one hand, we're getting a Coordinator to be a position coach. Not to mention, Bo as a secondary guru, has and always will have a big hand in the development and teaching of our DBs. So I don't think that the actuall teaching or technical stuff was as critical as this guy's recruiting ability. Like was said earlier, this guy has had some success in recruiting to something a hell of a lot more than just football. Giving up so much more, for something so much more significant. I dont know where to stand on it either, but like everything else, will be taking some more "wait and see" approach.

I am not sure how I feel about the hire either. But I will say that it is very premature to form any strong opinions yet. You have to give the guy a year and see what he can do.

We seem to praise Pelini & Co on their abilities to find players that turn out to be great pick. I think we can give him the same benefit of the doubt about a coaching hire.

If the "issues" people had with Rich Fisher don't teach us to wait and see on these hires, nothing will.

WR has arguably been our most-improved unit over the past few years, but when Fisher was hired it was all "Bo's buddies" and "golf pro" and bap bap bap.

Everyone just needs to give it time.

• Fire 3

On the other hand, it kind of feels like... I don't know, picking the tallest midget? I realize position coaches aren't huge known-name people in the college football world (unless they're elite), but when's the last time Nebraska has hired a coach that people have actually heard of before?

This, save for the midget part. I think they prefer 'vertically challenged' or 'little people' now. :)

Regardless, I thought we could and should do better than this hire. Oh well, here's hoping he doesn't ***k things up, and let's see what he can do.

If the "issues" people had with Rich Fisher don't teach us to wait and see on these hires, nothing will.

WR has arguably been our most-improved unit over the past few years, but when Fisher was hired it was all "Bo's buddies" and "golf pro" and bap bap bap.

Everyone just needs to give it time.

Good point. Always have to remind myself that I really don't know anything, and that Bo Pelini is a lot smarter than we give him credit for. Time will tell.

On one hand, we're getting a Coordinator to be a position coach. Not to mention, Bo as a secondary guru, has and always will have a big hand in the development and teaching of our DBs. So I don't think that the actuall teaching or technical stuff was as critical as this guy's recruiting ability. Like was said earlier, this guy has had some success in recruiting to something a hell of a lot more than just football. Giving up so much more, for something so much more significant. I dont know where to stand on it either, but like everything else, will be taking some more "wait and see" approach.

Recruiting? You're kidding me right? He's at the Air Force Academy...they don't recruit the same way any other university does. This guy hasn't had to recruit...I mean really recruit ever in his entire coaching career.

As for his defense...people have been touting his pass defense ranking while ignoring the run defense he coached...the reason the pass defense was so high was because opposing teams didn't have to throw it much at all....they just ran it all over and then threw in some playaction.

Like I said, I'm completely underwhelmed and think this hire could go either way....with more of a chance of it going in a downward spiral due to inflated/deflated statistics from Warren and misconceptions of how a football coach at a military academy recruits.

Explain what's different about the recruiting. And why he doesnt have to do it. I seriously dont understand.

This, save for the midget part. I think they prefer 'vertically challenged' or 'little people' now. :)

Regardless, I thought we could and should do better than this hire. Oh well, here's hoping he doesn't ***k things up, and let's see what he can do.

I posted this earlier but I'm not sure how you get a "splash" hire as a position coach. You're probably hiring someone from a small school or a lateral move from a bigger school but neither of those is likely to be a "name". Anyone who fits that description who is actually really well known is getting a bigger promotion - to a coordinator or a small-school HC job. Getting a smaller-school coordinator to be a position coach for us is literally about as good as we (or most anyone) could hope for.

The only reason Sanders was widely known was because he's been here before. If he'd had the same career but at Georgia instead, almost no one would know about him (on this board).