New DB Coach Search

Love the hire cause Bo made it. It's that simple for me. Who the hell was Terry Joseph to Husker fans before he came here and posted on twitter? If this guy has recruiting ties in the south then all the better. He played the game, played the position, has a military background, young black coach. What's not to like? Judging by his career path so far, he's positioning himself nicely to run his own program someday. Welcome to Nebraska!

I think you'd be surprised at how hard job being and RC at a place like that could be. You're looking at kids that will fit your style as much as anything. And while you may be looking at kids who want a military education there are several perhaps even the majority that you bring in after selling them on the idea that the military is a good option after football. That falls right into our line of thinking. We are students/life skills first, athletes after that.

As far as dropping d stats this year its more to do about the Dline than the DBs.

I was going to make a similar comment on how I think it would be hard to be a RC at a military academy. You not only have to be able to recruit solid football players, but you have to find young men who are interested in a military education and are able to be accepted by the academy. To me, that is a tougher sales job than being at Alabama and saying "hey, come play for the best program in the country".

The service academies and others (VMI, The Citadel) are unique in that sports is secondary to the "military" and academics. It is nearly impossible to recruit a kid to got there who is being looked at by other schools. Cutting class, an unclean room, improper uniform etc all result in punishments that include demerits, confinements, tours or loss of liberty. Dismissal for academics, violation of the Honor Code etc..... Throw in the rigors of plebe year, going back to the corp when the season is over, the parades, inspections etc...... and there is not a lot to sell a young person on.

Recruiting, per say, is a different beast than getting some one to a "regular" school. I am unsure sure if his "recruiting prowess" will translate over to success at NU. HOWEVER, IMO, the biggest recruiting tool is being relational and able to connect with the kids. he is a former player at the AF Academy (smart guy), AF Officer (leadership skills) young (relational) former military (organized) etc..... If one were to look at a "skill set" for a recruiter, I would say he is good to go. He also got the kids at Air Force to be able to play against the big boys of the FBS and win some games. The kids he coached, IMO, are far less talented, smaller, less support (admn and facilities) yet they showed up every Sat and fought. They played sound mistake free football and were disciplined. That mindset of team, fight, win, duty, etc....will only help this team IMO. Time will tell.

Like Knapp said about Fish above. Golf pro to best position coach we have IMO.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014

Whose fault is that, though?

Kinda how the ball rolls. A coach with a lot of momentum should attract a lot of candidates. A coach in 4-loss stasis has to work harder to convince guys of the opportunity.

Yeah. I see Florida who lost 7 games had a horrible time getting an new OC./sarcasm. Perhaps when their AD came out in public support an reassured everyone that they were keeping their coach and he had a tough go of it because they lost a starting QB, 2 Oline and their #1 WR it was as much about that as anything. He also publicly stated he thought he'd be here for a long period of time that killed the media sharks that were starting to circle. Their coach put them in the exact same situation (or worse) and yet they reacted completely different. Why is that? Will has the same rep of being a hot head and similar relationships with the media. So what's different?

Maybe the opposite is true. Maybe he is leaving AF because Bo's job is MORE secure than Troy Calhouns. Coming off a 2-10 season isn't easy.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014

Whose fault is that, though?

Kinda how the ball rolls. A coach with a lot of momentum should attract a lot of candidates. A coach in 4-loss stasis has to work harder to convince guys of the opportunity.

Yeah. I see Florida who lost 7 games had a horrible time getting an new OC./sarcasm. Perhaps when their AD came out in public support an reassured everyone that they were keeping their coach and he had a tough go of it because they lost a starting QB, 2 Oline and their #1 WR it was as much about that as anything. He also publicly stated he thought he'd be here for a long period of time that killed the media sharks that were starting to circle. Their coach put them in the exact same situation (or worse) and yet they reacted completely different. Why is that? Will has the same rep of being a hot head and similar relationships with the media. So what's different?

Ya, Eichorst has really not impressed me. Florida had an utter abomination of a season but they had less drama because their AD killed it.

As far as this hire goes I'd prefer Marvin or getting out the checkbook to make a run at Akina, but we'll see. It's tough to coach D at the service academies. Their D's are mainly 1AA-level talent and it's harder to prep when you don't have offensive scout-team players that give you a good look at what you'll be up against(except when you play another service academy). While he's obviously not a hot name he's not a buddy hire either. I'd imagine he must have some respect/rep in coaching circles.

Warren looks good on paper. But, I don't know much about coaches out there so I will rely on Bo's judgement. I have seen Craig Bohl fail as as the Husker DC and go on to be one of the best head coaches at NDSU. Shawn Watson didn't do well as our OC but did well at Louisville- at Texas??? Marvin got great results on the field as the DB coach but failed in other areas- apparently a lazy recruiter from a recent post.

I hope Warren is a good recruiter- we really need it. I also hope he will coach his DBs to play aggressive. I wish him success. I am concerned that he had a bigger role at USAFA but will be only a DB coach for us. Will he be looking for another job as a DC right away?

Warren looks good on paper. But, I don't know much about coaches out there so I will rely on Bo's judgement. I have seen Craig Bohl fail as as the Husker DC and go on to be one of the best head coaches at NDSU. Shawn Watson didn't do well as our OC but did well at Louisville- at Texas??? Marvin got great results on the field as the DB coach but failed in other areas- apparently a lazy recruiter from a recent post.

I hope Warren is a good recruiter- we really need it. I also hope he will coach his DBs to play aggressive. I wish him success. I am concerned that he had a bigger role at USAFA but will be only a DB coach for us. Will he be looking for another job as a DC right away?

Going from DC at a service academy to Nebraska is probably a promotion for most football coaches. As mentioned before, the service academies are almost like FCS schools, so Warren going from AFA as DC to DB coach at NU is a solid promotion. It definitely pays more than what he was getting at the AFA.

"Ya, Eichorst has really not impressed me. Florida had an utter abomination of a season but they had less drama because their AD killed it."

I agree that Eichorst did not handle the situation well. I attribute to his being a relative rookie and young. He thought he was taking the high road but did not see the unintended consequences. Hopefully, he is smart enought ot learn and can build a good relationship with Bo.

• Fire 1

Going from DC at a service academy to Nebraska is probably a promotion for most football coaches. As mentioned before, the service academies are almost like FCS schools, so Warren going from AFA as DC to DB coach at NU is a solid promotion. It definitely pays more than what he was getting at the AFA.

He is from the state of Georgia and primarily recruits from his home state, after doing some research on him, I found out he likes to play an aggressive attacking style of play so I hope that translates to our secondary making tackles up at the line of scrimmage and coming up with picks. I think he is a great hire because he is a minority coach, young, and he shows he has discipline because he graduated from AFA, which can pay off on his in-home visits.