New DB Coach Search

I posted this earlier but I'm not sure how you get a "splash" hire as a position coach. You're probably hiring someone from a small school or a lateral move from a bigger school but neither of those is likely to be a "name". Anyone who fits that description who is actually really well known is getting a bigger promotion - to a coordinator or a small-school HC job. Getting a smaller-school coordinator to be a position coach for us is literally about as good as we (or most anyone) could hope for.

The only reason Sanders was widely known was because he's been here before. If he'd had the same career but at Georgia instead, almost no one would know about him (on this board).

Shawn Watson to QB coach at Texas says hello.

Obviously that's a little different because he's going with his current boss. But that still pretty much fits what I said. He's going from a coordinator at a smaller school to a position coach at a big program. Although I think the word is he'll end up being co-OC anyway.

Explain what's different about the recruiting. And why he doesnt have to do it. I seriously dont understand.

Lots man, lots. These kids are brought in not just for the schooling..but for the military as well. You get the military involved and everything changes.

ASVAB testing, which is required for entrance into any of the Armed Forces and military academies needs to take place...not all schools provide this testing like schools in Nebraska do (I took mine in High School). Of course, this requires an extra layer of personnel manager to let the coach know who they are required to recruit. ASVAB scores are huge for the military...if you score almost a perfect score on ACT but suck it on the ASVAB, you're not making it in.

Another difference is that a kid who goes into the AF Academy will be assigned a local recruiter to interact with somewhere inside or around their local town and be required to go through MEPS medical (Military Entrance Processing Station) before they are allowed to sign on with the Academy...the military will turn away just about anyone for anything...the doctors are told to be as exclusive as possible. My buddy had to get a waiver for a slight curvature of his spine (not scoliosis, just a natural curvature).

All the academic layers need to line up AND tests from the local recruiter, medical testing, process through MEPS and not to mention that if a guy who wants to go to the academy wants to do a certain job for a certain degree he's getting and it's not available...he'll have to pick another career when he gets out...when you sign your name on the line for the military, you have to have your specialty already picked out...same is true for these gentlemen in the academy.

After all of those things are combined, a panel of senior officers get together and combine everything into a weighted objective composite score and decide if a person gets in. These officers don't see names on these lists...they see a score.

So, as you can see...application and qualification is completely different than that for a standard college...and thus recruiting is completely different as well because it has to be.

You have a few incorrect statements in your post, but it is mostly accurate. You have also just outlined the standard process, you still have to get the young man to want to go through this and take on the service aspect as well. A couple of my closest friends that graduated with me from USMA played for Army and they will tell you that to recruit players to an academy is hard work. Imagine trying to get a kid to decide to take that all on. I imagine Warren is a better salesman than you think.

The service academies and others (VMI, The Citadel) are unique in that sports is secondary to the "military" and academics. It is nearly impossible to recruit a kid to got there who is being looked at by other schools. Cutting class, an unclean room, improper uniform etc all result in punishments that include demerits, confinements, tours or loss of liberty. Dismissal for academics, violation of the Honor Code etc..... Throw in the rigors of plebe year, going back to the corp when the season is over, the parades, inspections etc...... and there is not a lot to sell a young person on.

Recruiting, per say, is a different beast than getting some one to a "regular" school. I am unsure sure if his "recruiting prowess" will translate over to success at NU. HOWEVER, IMO, the biggest recruiting tool is being relational and able to connect with the kids. he is a former player at the AF Academy (smart guy), AF Officer (leadership skills) young (relational) former military (organized) etc..... If one were to look at a "skill set" for a recruiter, I would say he is good to go. He also got the kids at Air Force to be able to play against the big boys of the FBS and win some games. The kids he coached, IMO, are far less talented, smaller, less support (admn and facilities) yet they showed up every Sat and fought. They played sound mistake free football and were disciplined. That mindset of team, fight, win, duty, etc....will only help this team IMO. Time will tell.

Like Knapp said about Fish above. Golf pro to best position coach we have IMO.

Well said, great post. I think Warren will be a solid hire.

You have a few incorrect statements in your post, but it is mostly accurate. You have also just outlined the standard process, you still have to get the young man to want to go through this and take on the service aspect as well. A couple of my closest friends that graduated with me from USMA played for Army and they will tell you that to recruit players to an academy is hard work. Imagine trying to get a kid to decide to take that all on. I imagine Warren is a better salesman than you think.

I doubt Warren has to sell much. I'd say most kids have already decided they want to take the military route. When you're talking the academies, those kids have been working towards that for a couple of years. He's not turning an Oklahoma commit late in the process because he sold them on playing football for Air Force.

Look through their commits.

Edwards - 1 offer to AF

George - 1 offer to AF

Guida - Offers to AF, Army, N. Ariz, SDST

Hansen - 1 offer to AF

Hawkins - Offers to AF, Cal Poly, Navy, SJST

Hughes - 1 offer to AF

Kofskey - 1 offer to AF

Lawler - Offers to AF, San Diego St.

Matts - 1 offer to AF

Oliver - Offers to AF, Army, Charleston South.

Owen - 1 offer to AF

Smith - 1 offer to AF

D. Smith - Offers to AF, holy cross, lafayette, lehigh

Soto - bunch of offers

You don't "recruit" to AF, you evaluate the candidates. These kids have already made the decision, which is likely why they aren't getting any other offers. They are going the military route, it's just whether or not they are going to play football too.

Look through their commits.

Edwards - 1 offer to AF

George - 1 offer to AF

Guida - Offers to AF, Army, N. Ariz, SDST

Hansen - 1 offer to AF

Hawkins - Offers to AF, Cal Poly, Navy, SJST

Hughes - 1 offer to AF

Kofskey - 1 offer to AF

Lawler - Offers to AF, San Diego St.

Matts - 1 offer to AF

Oliver - Offers to AF, Army, Charleston South.

Owen - 1 offer to AF

Smith - 1 offer to AF

D. Smith - Offers to AF, holy cross, lafayette, lehigh

Soto - bunch of offers

You don't "recruit" to AF, you evaluate the candidates. These kids have already made the decision, which is likely why they aren't getting any other offers. They are going the military route, it's just whether or not they are going to play football too.

Remember that those sights only list the offers as they are told. Most of these kids aren't exactly on Rivals priority list to make contact with and get the info.

Your assumption about these kids only wanting to go to an academy is an incorrect blanket assumption. Many do in fact have many other offers, D1 or below. It isn't true that they just select their team from the approved candidate list. Coaches have to convince kids to apply and then if they get in, to take on the service commitment. Many of classmates across all sports had a hard choice to make.

I'm completely underwhelmed if it is Warren. I mean completely...and I don't see how people are just kicking back and thinking "oh hey, this is great".

He's got a heckuva lot more to prove than he has proven imho. That's a larger possible downside than a possible upside if I look at it on paper.

I think this response was ready to go for most possible hires. Who was on your short list?

Apparently Warren is thought highly of in coaching circles:

With the departure of secondary coach Terry Joseph, Nebraska appears set to hire Air Force defensive coordinator Charlton Warren. Warren, an academy graduate and Atlanta native who has coached at the school for nine years, is the top choice of coach Bo Pelini, according to multiple reports.

He looks like a strong candidate, with ties to the talent-laden Southeast and a history of solid secondary play under his leadership.

I was told of the mutual interest on Monday at the AFCA convention in Indianapolis by a veteran Southeastern Conference assistant coach. The coach spoke highly of Warren and his ability to connect with players in addition to prospects in an important recruiting area for the Huskers.

LINK

I'm completely underwhelmed if it is Warren. I mean completely...and I don't see how people are just kicking back and thinking "oh hey, this is great".

He's got a heckuva lot more to prove than he has proven imho. That's a larger possible downside than a possible upside if I look at it on paper.

I think this response was ready to go for most possible hires. Who was on your short list?

I kinda liked Nick Monroe from BG...but I knew he was a longshot. JTrain brought him up and from what I've read about him he's an up and coming coach who's young and gets recruits.

Honestly, I wanted Sanders for the #1.

So what on paper put Monroe above Warren?

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014, that it would be hard to bring in top coaching talent to Nebraska. Not that its not a desirable place to coach but the uncertainty has to be considered by potential coaching candidates. These guys have to look out for number one and their families, can't really say I would blame a highly sought after coach.

If it were up to most people on this board it is like signing a one year contract only, as most are calling for Bo's head each and every year.

So a coach that has been at the same place for 9 seasons is leaving the stability he has created for himself there to jump into a sinking ship program where the coach is fighting for his job? I'd say that Warren's hiring says the complete opposite here wouldn't you agree?

I said the same thing a couple of posts ago. Maybe after a 2-10 season AF might be looking for another HC and this guy jumped to calmer waters.

Not sure if it has already been brought up today, but after listening to Sharp and Benning this morning I have to agree with some of the things they talked about. One of the things that they brought up was that with some of the instability and unknown of Bo's status after 2014, that it would be hard to bring in top coaching talent to Nebraska. Not that its not a desirable place to coach but the uncertainty has to be considered by potential coaching candidates. These guys have to look out for number one and their families, can't really say I would blame a highly sought after coach.

If it were up to most people on this board it is like signing a one year contract only, as most are calling for Bo's head each and every year.

Most????

Most????

depends on the week. I'd say not long ago most (he said on this board) were calling for heads, the vast majority Bo's.

Explain what's different about the recruiting. And why he doesnt have to do it. I seriously dont understand.

Lots man, lots. These kids are brought in not just for the schooling..but for the military as well. You get the military involved and everything changes.

ASVAB testing, which is required for entrance into any of the Armed Forces and military academies needs to take place...not all schools provide this testing like schools in Nebraska do (I took mine in High School). Of course, this requires an extra layer of personnel manager to let the coach know who they are required to recruit. ASVAB scores are huge for the military...if you score almost a perfect score on ACT but suck it on the ASVAB, you're not making it in.

Another difference is that a kid who goes into the AF Academy will be assigned a local recruiter to interact with somewhere inside or around their local town and be required to go through MEPS medical (Military Entrance Processing Station) before they are allowed to sign on with the Academy...the military will turn away just about anyone for anything...the doctors are told to be as exclusive as possible. My buddy had to get a waiver for a slight curvature of his spine (not scoliosis, just a natural curvature).

All the academic layers need to line up AND tests from the local recruiter, medical testing, process through MEPS and not to mention that if a guy who wants to go to the academy wants to do a certain job for a certain degree he's getting and it's not available...he'll have to pick another career when he gets out...when you sign your name on the line for the military, you have to have your specialty already picked out...same is true for these gentlemen in the academy.

After all of those things are combined, a panel of senior officers get together and combine everything into a weighted objective composite score and decide if a person gets in. These officers don't see names on these lists...they see a score.

So, as you can see...application and qualification is completely different than that for a standard college...and thus recruiting is completely different as well because it has to be.

Yeah, recruiting is different.

It's EASIER here. You aren't trying to convince athletes "just" to play football, but to protect and serve their country as well. Now he can say, hey come play football for us. Not hey, play football then go to Afghanistan.

• Fire 2

I kinda liked Nick Monroe from BG...but I knew he was a longshot. JTrain brought him up and from what I've read about him he's an up and coming coach who's young and gets recruits.

Honestly, I wanted Sanders for the #1.

So what on paper put Monroe above Warren?

Nothing really...they both have good experience and rank at the top of their conference as secondary coaches. Both were recruiting coordinators at one time. I just hadn't heard of Warren and he doesn't get thrown on near as much as Monroe's secondary does.

2012 BGSU stats

Pass Defense: 13th nationally, 1st in the MAC

Pass Eff. Defense: 18th nationally, 2nd in the MAC

2013 BGSU stats

Pass Defense: 6th nationally, 2nd in the MAC

Pass Eff. Defense: 9th nationally, 1st in the MAC

Yeah, I'd have been OK with Monroe too but I do think other posters on the board would've said the same things you said about Warren. They seem pretty similar to me.

I think Marvin would've made us all feel warm inside but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do.

People that complain about Bo's temper, handling of the media, and his sideline behavior (and I'm not syaing you're one of them) as not being the "Nebraska way" can't really look the other way to what Marvin 'allegedly' did. It just doesn't make sense. Integrity is integrity with the cameras on or off.

If it's incorrect then it's just been updated since I went to school in the mid 1990's...which is completely probable...and you're absolutely right, the young men have to WANT to go through with all of this PLUS regular college stuff.

I see this making a recruiter who wants someone to play football either BETTER or WORSE depending on unknown factors....for example, it could make Warren much better. He could be amazing at recruiting guys to do all of this and have the chops to become all conference for their respected positions and rank in the tops of defense. But if he's not the one getting names and only has to seal the deal (with the govt and military, they give you lists of things to work from...you normally don't do recon yourself) then it could make him lazy.

Time will tell. He looks good on paper and I hope he turns out to be a good coach.

I was at USMA around the same time, enrolled in '95. The ASVAB test is required but not that big of a deal for junior officers as long as you pass, and frankly they aren't recruiting kids who can't pass it. I found it easier than the ACT. It is really geared towards enlisted soldiers and what MOS's they can get into. The other thing was your comment about knowing what job you wanted to do when you signed up. Maybe I am mis-understanding you, or maybe USAF is different than USMA, but we didn't select branches until Firstie year.

Regardless, the Coaches don't get their lists from the admin office. They bring candidates to the admin office to evaluate. They are finding players of talent to fit needs just like everyone else. Academy coaches still have to recruit to win, they just have the toughest entry hurdles to get their players past.