Avery Moss situation: one year ban

C N Red

If you violated your probation 15 days before it ended, would you still expect to come in contact with the consequences of violating your probation?

Are we equating UNL rent-a-cop rubberstamped orders with Judge mandated court orders?

UNL police have the same jurisdiction as the State Patrol. How do people not know this? They are real police with real power.

Also, likening penis exposure to flashing boobs is fun to do but they are not remotely in the same ballpark. Breasts are not genitalia. A more fail comparison would be a 46 year old overweight mother of 6 flashing her bushy curtains at you or the public.. And yes, in that instance there is no doubt in my mind that authorities would be notified and arrests would be made.

Also, do not lose sight of the fact that, while you want to defend Avery for being young and making stupid youthful mistakes...The woman he was making them to was also young and much more innocent than most of us on this board. I can remember when I was 19 and watched a comedy bit that discussed noises that get made in the bedroom and I almost walked out due to embarrassment. There are many 19 year olds who have little to no experience with birds and bees and are far from comfortable with it all. That is just the truth, a truth that the University is obligated and expected to understand.

• Fire 1

If you violated your probation 15 days before it ended, would you still expect to come in contact with the consequences of violating your probation?

Are we equating UNL rent-a-cop rubberstamped orders with Judge mandated court orders?

UNL police have the same jurisdiction as the State Patrol. How do people not know this? They are real police with real power.

So you can be pulled over, ticketed and arrested in McCook, Nebraska by a UNL Campus police officer in a UNL campus cruiser - 250 miles from UNL? I'm gonna say.....no.

I still don't think the punishment fits the crime.

After the initial incident, he was banned from the residence halls. 11.5 months after this ban, and only 0.5 months before the end of the ban, there is a miscommunication and he violates this minor ban. He then receives an ALL-CAMPUS ban? Violating the residence hall ban 15 days early after a miscommunication entails a full-campus ban? This basically kicks the kid out of school, kicks him off the team, invalidates his athletic scholarship, and burns a year of eligibility. All this time, he has been going to counseling, presumably getting good grades, and not getting in any other trouble.

Again, I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

But you know when your probation ends because they state so many months, and give you a release date. You also keep in touch with PO's during the time your on it as well. Moss was under the assumption that he was only banned until the end of the academic year. I don't think any of us know what was said, but things could have not been clearly stated. Since he has kept his nose clean and I don't see him doing this to create a f'up, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Was going to the dorms so important he couldn't be bothered to ask someone first to make sure he understood it correctly?

I still don't think the punishment fits the crime.

After the initial incident, he was banned from the residence halls. 11.5 months after this ban, and only 0.5 months before the end of the ban, there is a miscommunication and he violates this minor ban. He then receives an ALL-CAMPUS ban? Violating the residence hall ban 15 days early after a miscommunication entails a full-campus ban? This basically kicks the kid out of school, kicks him off the team, invalidates his athletic scholarship, and burns a year of eligibility. All this time, he has been going to counseling, presumably getting good grades, and not getting in any other trouble.

Again, I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

But you know when your probation ends because they state so many months, and give you a release date. You also keep in touch with PO's during the time your on it as well. Moss was under the assumption that he was only banned until the end of the academic year. I don't think any of us know what was said, but things could have not been clearly stated. Since he has kept his nose clean and I don't see him doing this to create a f'up, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Was going to the dorms so important he couldn't be bothered to ask someone first to make sure he understood it correctly?

The people defending Moss are absolutely hilarious.

Let's just review: he exposes himself--twice to a woman after hours. Considering 15 years ago, incoming students and student athletes in the dorms were told it was a third degree sexual assault if you even set foot in a bathroom that wasn't your gender's, I'd say he was lucky not to get kicked out of NU right then and there. So there's that.

Let's even say he thought his ban was over that night. So, the very instant he can be let back into somewhere where his previous actions led to his troubles, he's back there? Doesn't sound to me like he's learned his lesson.

Oh and he pleaded no contest. Not a lot of innocent, misunderstood people do that.

And here a lot of people are, defending him and calling into question the victims' story, or what really happened. I'm guessing because he was a young Blackshirt that showed promise. How about we all just let him go, file away the "Bo only recruits quality men" yarn, and move on?

• Fire 3

file away the "Bo only recruits quality men" yarn

I know this was an offhand add-on to your post, but good gravy, you bring this stuff up a lot. :D

Because it's garbage. And it's not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing.

Bo Pelini and his staff recruits whomever they possibly can that they feel will directly help the University of Nebraska football team, and therefore, them, succeed.

Just like Bill Callahan.

Just like Tom Osborne.

Just like Bob Devaney.

I just wish people would admit as much.

Where are you seeing this "quality men" conversation happening?

Every time someone here needs an extra arrow in their quiver to defend the progress, "process", and expectation of this program in a positive light towards Bo. (I.e. "Well I'd hate to be an SEC team..WE have standards, Bo looks for quality men and makes better men out of them......etc)

Ok, maybe not every time, but a lot.

• Fire 3

Every time someone here needs an extra arrow in their quiver to defend the progress, "process", and expectation of this program in a positive light towards Bo. (I.e. "Well I'd hate to be an SEC team..WE have standards, Bo looks for quality men and makes better men out of them......etc)

I think the "quality men" arrow you speak of is used to talk about individual players pertinent to certain conversations. I don't ever remember a "quality men" umbrella thrown over Bo's program as a whole. I don't think the level of naivete is that high.

I think the "quality men" arrow you speak of is used to talk about individual players pertinent to certain conversations. I don't ever remember a "quality men" umbrella thrown over Bo's program as a whole. I don't think the level of naivete is that high.

Like I said, when it's needed, it's a reason. When it doesn't apply.....like say, in this thread, it's swept away

So you can be pulled over, ticketed and arrested in McCook, Nebraska by a UNL Campus police officer in a UNL campus cruiser - 250 miles from UNL? I'm gonna say.....no.

He didn't mean jurisdiction, but he is correct. That is a police force, a branch of the State Patrol, that has arrest and charge power. They are as powerful on campus as the LPD is in the rest of the city. I know this for 100% certainty, know a guy who worked there for 6 years. He was paid by the State Patrol, but was an officer for UNL Campus Police. Not security. All of their orders are court ordered mandated by a judge in Lancaster County.

• Fire 3