College football players union

If they become labeled as employees, could just start paying them minimum wage and they would have to pay all their tuition and expenses out of their own pocket.

If universities end up having to pay players, it would kill DII, DIII (no scholys currently) athletic programs. Might as well just cut all sports

If they become labeled as employees, could just start paying them minimum wage and they would have to pay all their tuition and expenses out of their own pocket.

If universities end up having to pay players, it would kill DII, DIII (no scholys currently) athletic programs. Might as well just cut all sports

I completely agree that the DII and DIII programs would be toast, not to mention probably several DI programs. There was a USA Today article last summer that mentioned how only 23 of 228 public institutions across the country generated enough revenue to cover their expenses, with 16 of those receiving some sort of subsidy. Here is the link to that article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

I find it kind of ironic that we are all concerned that the huge revenue generate from these large television networks could drive college football to form 4-6 mega conferences, with 16 teams or so per conference but I think that unionization could do the same thing, if schools are forced to pay their players. I understand that the Northwestern athletes are not asking for pay now, as someone mentioned above, but this is slippery slope we are starting down. I understand that these players are frustrated, seeing how much revenue the programs generate, but at the same time a lot of that revenue goes to help fund the Olympic sports operating at a deficit. Is it fair that coaches, ADs, and others are making more money than the deserve? Probably not, but that is something the athlete knows coming into this. It is ultimately their decision to sign the LOI. You would hope that the coach also outlines how demanding the commitment to college athletics is, I know that several of the coaches I talked to during the recruitment process did (scheduling classes during these hours hours, when practices were, what time study hall was, etc.).

What concerns me, and this is way out there and getting away from the main point, is lets say that one day a decision is made that the athletes' scholarships are earnings and thus taxable income. At what point does someone rise up and say it isn't fair that other students on academic scholarships, should be considered employees and their stipends and scholarships should be taxed? I just have a feeling that there are several ripple affects that could be felt down the road from decisions based on this issue and it has the jeopardy of ruining the university system as a whole. Again, off topic but a thought that sprouted in my head after reading this should be interesting to see how this plays out, although I am assuming it will be many years before we get a final decision on this.

Sigh...the people at the top are greedy, so why can't student athletes be greedy? Because they're already getting a free education that (some) don't even care about?

This whole thing is going to take awhile to implement, as I don't think this ruling applies to public universities (posted above). But won't that create a competitive disadvantage to public universities? As an athlete, why should I go to UNL and get a scholarship when I could go to Northwestern and get the dinero? Also, what are they going to do about past college players, who undoubtedly generated millions of dollars for their respective schools? If these players are entitled to the moo-lah than shouldn't past players get that same entitlement? And how does all of this fit in with Title IX? Women's sports don't generate as much money as men's sports, that's a known fact. If universities have to start paying athletes, some universities aren't going to have enough money to fund other athletics. But they can't just cut women sports.

I see the title of this thread says college football players, so can only college football players unionize? If that's the case, what's stopping volleyball or basketball or soccer or hockey or baseball or golf or equestrian or gymnastic athletes from doing the same thing?

This whole thing has opened up a huge can of worms...

Well this could end the 5 to 8 million dollars coach, someone will have to pay for the extras. The union will start out asking for health coverage after their playing days are over, guarantee scholarships so this will end class signings of 25 and higher and SEC scholarship try outs program. Like in the real world the Non- union schools will match the union contracts so they can recruit the top players. This will take years to put in place.

Sigh...the people at the top are greedy, so why can't student athletes be greedy? Because they're already getting a free education that (some) don't even care about?

This whole thing is going to take awhile to implement, as I don't think this ruling applies to public universities (posted above). But won't that create a competitive disadvantage to public universities? As an athlete, why should I go to UNL and get a scholarship when I could go to Northwestern and get the dinero? Also, what are they going to do about past college players, who undoubtedly generated millions of dollars for their respective schools? If these players are entitled to the moo-lah than shouldn't past players get that same entitlement? And how does all of this fit in with Title IX? Women's sports don't generate as much money as men's sports, that's a known fact. If universities have to start paying athletes, some universities aren't going to have enough money to fund other athletics. But they can't just cut women sports.

I see the title of this thread says college football players, so can only college football players unionize? If that's the case, what's stopping volleyball or basketball or soccer or hockey or baseball or golf or equestrian or gymnastic athletes from doing the same thing?

This whole thing has opened up a huge can of worms...

The nrlb was only able to declare them as employees because they were making money for NW. A gymnast would have to show the U turns a profit on her cartwheels.

The way I see it is what does it do to the notion of student-athletes. Even with all the money made and so on. If they are considered employees, at what point does the university take away scholarships and just implement a salary based contracts. Then what? Free agency? Salary caps? It just becomes another pro league. And what about all the other sports? There's simply not enough to go around. And I understand Colter and his buddies' modest and humble goals for this, but we all now that when it gets rolling, those things are gonna be the least of their worries. Hell already on ESPN radio this morning, one of em was quoted as saying something about commercial sponsorship. So already, after just one day, it's evolved in that area. Pandora's box has been opened. College sports may be done.

And I get that they probably deserve a little more. Without time (or even the right most times) to get a job, maybe they should be paid some more. But how do you give a mouse a cookie.............?

My hard-ass, and I guess non-progressive as some might see it, way of thinking is look, it's college athletics. Sure there's tv dollars and millions upon hundreds of millions being changed hands based on your performance, but it's still an extra curricular activity. Yes, for most, you are receiving a college education in exchange for your services. I see a major social issue here as well in which that little piece of extreme importance is just being tossed aside like "meh, who gives a damn about education. i just want that money". If youre good enough, you'll get to the NFL. If not, you know it, and you'll take advantage of the skills you do have and use them to complete that free education so that you will be fine. There's no one forcing any of these guys to play college sports. it's somethign they want to do. So I just still have a hard time defending any sort of supposed shortcomings that college players claim to have. Especially at a place like Nebraska, where even if a player doesnt "pan out", or leaves the team later in his career, they still retain the benefits of that scholarship.

The way I see it is what does it do to the notion of student-athletes. Even with all the money made and so on. If they are considered employees, at what point does the university take away scholarships and just implement a salary based contracts. Then what? Free agency? Salary caps? It just becomes another pro league. And what about all the other sports? There's simply not enough to go around. And I understand Colter and his buddies' modest and humble goals for this, but we all now that when it gets rolling, those things are gonna be the least of their worries. Hell already on ESPN radio this morning, one of em was quoted as saying something about commercial sponsorship. So already, after just one day, it's evolved in that area. Pandora's box has been opened. College sports may be done.

And I get that they probably deserve a little more. Without time (or even the right most times) to get a job, maybe they should be paid some more. But how do you give a mouse a cookie.............?

My hard-ass, and I guess non-progressive as some might see it, way of thinking is look, it's college athletics. Sure there's tv dollars and millions upon hundreds of millions being changed hands based on your performance, but it's still an extra curricular activity. Yes, for most, you are receiving a college education in exchange for your services. I see a major social issue here as well in which that little piece of extreme importance is just being tossed aside like "meh, who gives a damn about education. i just want that money". If youre good enough, you'll get to the NFL. If not, you know it, and you'll take advantage of the skills you do have and use them to complete that free education so that you will be fine. There's no one forcing any of these guys to play college sports. it's somethign they want to do. So I just still have a hard time defending any sort of supposed shortcomings that college players claim to have. Especially at a place like Nebraska, where even if a player doesnt "pan out", or leaves the team later in his career, they still retain the benefits of that scholarship.

I agree.

Taking it a step farther, I am going to express my (admittedly) selfish feelings. One of the major reasons I like college sports over pro sports is I get so sick and tired of the constant battle between players and owners over contracts, hold outs, strikes, multi million dollar deals, trades...bla bla bla.....

I get friggen tired of over paid adults whining about how much they get paid to play what should be a kids game. I see this bringing that whole mess into college sports.

As someone mentioned above about listening to Mike and Mike this morning, you can tell these kids are gunning after the money. The front is that they want to be protected from injury, but it ultimately comes down to greed and those players wanting a slice of the pie. I know this isn't the most adult thing to say, especially because I find the Northwestern-Nebraksa games entertaining, but I'd love it if the university just said, thanks but no thanks were shutting the program down...how many other players from other schools would second guess their decision to try and strong arm their university? Btw, Northwestern athletics as a whole come out about even when you look at their balance sheet.

You know...this might get really interesting at the NCAA level. Now, I despise the NCAA so don't take this as meaning I support them.

However, I don't think this necessarily means the NCAA needs to change the amateur status of their sports. If schools like Northwestern athletes want to unionize and ultimately be paid, simple.....you can get paid but then you can't compete in NCAA sports.

THEN, the pressure will be if enough schools start paying their athletes, do they then break off and form their own league?

You know...this might get really interesting at the NCAA level. Now, I despise the NCAA so don't take this as meaning I support them.

However, I don't think this necessarily means the NCAA needs to change the amateur status of their sports. If schools like Northwestern athletes want to unionize and ultimately be paid, simple.....you can get paid but then you can't compete in NCAA sports.

THEN, the pressure will be if enough schools start paying their athletes, do they then break off and form their own league?

the ncaa should have given in a little before it got to this. scholarships should have been protected in the event of injuries, health insurance should have been provided, and the athletes should have been able to make money from merchandising and such. but it was all or nothing, so the athletes are going for it all.

i post this because the can of worms or pandora's box has been opened for awhile, the game changed long ago and the athletes got left behind. it should have been remedied another way, but here we are.

Chuck the BCS: college football is better off with this sham in its rearview mirror

and people are upset that athletes are trying to get paid?