DE Blake McClain [South Carolina - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Why commit literally what 4 days ago just to decommit? Kids these days, don't make a decision this important without looking at all aspects. If the kid can't become a man and learn to leave the nest, then he shouldn't be going to college at all.

Sorry, but this recruiting season is getting to me and this is the tipping point.

Guys, I think we need a little perspective. McClain was solid to FSU, only a couple hours from home, until they tried to get him to gray shirt. This is a week before NSD, which forces him to decommit and start his recruiting over again. Nebraska and SC both jump at the opportunity and tried to show him what they offer. He gets to visit Nebraska and loves it. Tells his parents that is where he wants to be, and he commits. Now, for him he is probably nervous but excited about the opportunity. For his parents, who excepted him to stay in-state for college, they are trying to decide if a school half-way across the country, where they probably don't know too many people or how the area or college environment is for college students, is good for their son.

I think if there was more time for the parents to have come up to the school or get more time with the coaches it would settle them down a little. He took an unofficial to SC, which makes me think at least one of his parents probably drove him up their, so they also got to see the campus and facilities and meet the staff. That first hand experience goes a long way when making decisions.

Really, I think we should keep our heads here, as some of the comments are getting a little rough. Let this family choose what is best. All we can do is hope it works in favor of our team. GBR.

• Fire 3

Guys, I think we need a little perspective. McClain was solid to FSU, only a couple hours from home, until they tried to get him to gray shirt. This is a week before NSD, which forces him to decommit and start his recruiting over again. Nebraska and SC both jump at the opportunity and tried to show him what they offer. He gets to visit Nebraska and loves it. Tells his parents that is where he wants to be, and he commits. Now, for him he is probably nervous but excited about the opportunity. For his parents, who excepted him to stay in-state for college, they trying to decide if a school half-way across the country, where they probably don't know too many people or how the area or college environment is for college students, is good for their son.

I think if there was more time for the parents to have come up to the school or get more time with the coaches it would settle them down a little. He took an unofficial to SC, which makes me think at least one of his parents probably drove him up their, so they also got to see the campus and facilities and meet the staff. That first had experience goes a long way when making decisions.

Really, I think we should keep our heads here, as some of the comments are getting a little rough. Let this family choose what is best. All' see can do is hope it works in favor of our team. GBR.

This is where his HS coach as well as his committing teammate plays a bigger role.

Well this has been interesting at least.

You have a SDE with a solid offer list, but the National Championship program who offered him asked him to gray shirt, so that's odd.

Then in under 2 weeks he has an opportunity to make 1 visit, but he lists 2 schools as his finalists. NU got in before SC got the visit locked up, then Spurrier Jr tries to get him to hold off on committing before he visits SC. To my knowledge he's never visited SC. Next he commits to NU, so I think USC is out. Now they day before NSD info comes out that it'ss 50-50 and info later in the evening said USC pulled ahead.

This is too weird of a situation for me to think he's coming to USC. Would he really commit to USC w/o taking a visit here? If he really wasn't sure, why did he commit to NU. He said he couldn't change his last OV from NU to USC b/c he already gave his word to the NU Coaches that he would visit that weekend, so doesn't the same principle apply with his commitment?

I would like to see him end up at SC, don't get me wrong, but there isn't enough substantial proof outside of what people feel on message boards or pay site analysts saying, "sources say it's this way or that."

To answer/respond to some of the questions/comments I just say on pg 5 of this thread:

"$EC won't give you the education you need, young man, and I don't just mean in the classroom."

:confucius Are you sure, Dylan, what's his desired major? NU is ranked #47 on USNEWs, USC is ranked #55, are we just splitting hairs here, both schools are in the middle of the pack? What really matters in this type of situation is what does he want to study, then the rankings matter.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public/page+2

"People on RSS are reporting that he will probably be signing with SC, but that might actually be a good thing for us."

This is one of the silliest things in recruiting. I wish it would stop, but it never will. Just b/c a guy chooses another school, the slighted fans come up with, "he's a bad egg, his grades weren't up to our standards, I heard he had a bad work ethic (not when we were recruiting him, but at the moment he chose another school."

"I don't get why SC wants him so bad when it is rather evident that he would rather be in Nebraska. You want players that WANT to play for you. Not players who parents want to play for you. Idiotic."

How is it evident? Based on info the paysites are putting out, he's 50-50 on what he wants to do, but his parents want him at SC (again, according to the paysites.) Now "why" SC wants him is easy. We just lost 2 All American DL and both of our starting DE's. We have 4 DE's on scholarship right now, 3 of the 4 you would classify as WDE's. We have one SDE 1st Team JUCO All American committed, and we have one WDE HS Army All American Committed. We had 247sports #1 JUCO WDE committed, but he can't transfer to USC from his JUCO b/c the University of Illinois played him and gave him an extra year of eligibility when he was technically academically ineligible. The SEC Admissions/Transfer office found that out in reviewing Darrius Caldwell's transcripts. (Y'all are Big1G folk now, has that story been publicized up here or would anyone even care...Illinois letting academically ineligible players play/practice and stay on scholarship.) So really, we need a SDE this class. We're trying to flip another one of FSU's SDE/DT's, Dexter Wideman, and we feel okay about that. We're probably going after both Wideman and Blake b/c neither told us yet that he's coming to USC and so we're playing the field.

Well according to his Facebook, he's going to South Carolina. What a joke, if true.

https://www.facebook...e.mcclain/about

His # is posted on there.... man does this kid have a lot to learn

But bummer to see him go, but his parents obviously wanted him closer to home, and maybe he just felt like NE was too far. It is a bummer, but the kid has to do what he feels is right for him and his family.