If you could surgically remove one thing from Nebraska history, what would it be?

knapplc

I would get rid of the brief Sam Keller history. If he never transfered here and they acutaly gave Ganz a fair shake at the starting QB spot, the '07 season could have been so much better. He had so much hype but failed to show, plus he really made the team about SAM KELLER, totaly glory boy.

I literally don't think I could disagree with this post any more.

Agree with you, Landlord. Sam Keller was the least responsible person for the struggles of the '07 team. Now, if Ganz had started the entire season of '07, he might have been an even better QB in '08, so there is that to think about,.

I would get rid of the brief Sam Keller history. If he never transfered here and they acutaly gave Ganz a fair shake at the starting QB spot, the '07 season could have been so much better. He had so much hype but failed to show, plus he really made the team about SAM KELLER, totaly glory boy.

Agree with you, Landlord. Sam Keller was the least responsible person for the struggles of the '07 team. Now, if Ganz had started the entire season of '07, he might have been an even better QB in '08, so there is that to think about,.

The least responsible? Whoa there, reaching quite a bit with that. Not a chance in hell he's the least responsible. The dude wasn't very good. I'd of taken Ganz starting every year he was here over that kid. Who knows how Ganz may have done those other years, but we saw how he did when he was in there. We saw how Keller did when he was in there,so based on the facts given, I'd take Ganz in a heart beat. If you disagree with that, you weren't watching the same football team I was.

The problems with the '07 team were with the defense and overall effort from game 1. In fact, Keller kept us in and had a big hand in winning that Ball St game. Keller was equally responsible as everyone else, cuz it is a team sport. But they all packed it in at halftime of the USC game. Something happend in that lockeroom at that moment. It was never the same after that.

I probably used some hyperbole with my Sam Keller comment. Was he any good? Probably not. Did he deserve blame for the team being so crappy? Yes.

But, I give the most blame to the defense, and the head coach who was totally clueless on what to do. By the end of the year, BC was having Ganz throw the ball 70 times a game (yes, maybe another exaggeration) to pad his stats in garbage time.

You are the only guy I have ever heard that thinks Sam Keller was deserving of the start over Ganz. Account for this Mr., after Keller went down vs. Texas in 07 the team mounted a comeback and almost won the game with Ganz at the helms. The team showed heart after Ganz stepped in, albeit in losses, the offense was pretty anemic with Keller at QB. So much wrong with the '07 team and I think the two gaping holes were QB play and atrocious defesne.

I bought a lot of 5 posters at an auction last year because I had to buy all five to get the one I wanted. I kept the one I wanted, gave three to my brothers and the last one was the 2007 Offense poster. It's still sitting in my basement storage room. It's framed and everything. If anyone wants it they can have it for free.

You are the only guy I have ever heard that thinks Sam Keller was deserving of the start over Ganz. Account for this Mr., after Keller went down vs. Texas in 07 the team mounted a comeback and almost won the game with Ganz at the helms. The team showed heart after Ganz stepped in, albeit in losses, the offense was pretty anemic with Keller at QB. So much wrong with the '07 team and I think the two gaping holes were QB play and atrocious defesne.

I agree that Ganz was the better QB for us than Keller, but take a look at what actually happened in 2007. Our record would not have been any better had he started.

It's rather revisionist to say that Ganz was leading a comeback against Texas. Keller built a 17-3 lead, it was not NU or Ganz staging the comeback; it was Jammal Charles after Texas figured out our defensive scheme (Cosgrove decided to blitz every down that game, for the first time all season, and it took Texas by surprise until they adjusted).

Look at the other losses when Keller played: the D gave up 49, 41, 45, and 36 in blowouts to USC, Mizzou, Okie St, and TAMU. Ganz wouldn't have made the difference in those games. Keller wasn't as good as we were led to believe going into the season. But that was a 5-7 team regardless of the QB.

Ball State.........what an omen that game was

Ball State ended up being a 7-6 MAC team Nebraska lucked out against. If history revisionists want to proclaim Sam Keller as an offensive threat they must be delusional, go check the records. Highest offensive outputs with Keller: a hapless Nevada scoring 51 points; Ball State 41 points; Iowa State 35 points. The last three games Nebraska scored 163 points. Don't even include those trash stats from the USC game.

I agree that Ganz was the better QB for us than Keller, but take a look at what actually happened in 2007. Our record would not have been any better had he started.

It's rather revisionist to say that Ganz was leading a comeback against Texas. Keller built a 17-3 lead, it was not NU or Ganz staging the comeback; it was Jammal Charles after Texas figured out our defensive scheme (Cosgrove decided to blitz every down that game, for the first time all season, and it took Texas by surprise until they adjusted).

Look at the other losses when Keller played: the D gave up 49, 41, 45, and 36 in blowouts to USC, Mizzou, Okie St, and TAMU. Ganz wouldn't have made the difference in those games. Keller wasn't as good as we were led to believe going into the season. But that was a 5-7 team regardless of the QB.

I would suggest that after Texas made some adjustments.........it was Clueless Coz who failed to adjust. IIRC, he STOPPED blitzing in that 4th quarter and Charles looked like the Back he is today with the Chiefs.

Ball State ended up being a 7-6 MAC team Nebraska lucked out against. If history revisionists want to proclaim Sam Keller as an offensive threat they must be delusional, go check the records. Highest offensive outputs with Keller: a hapless Nevada scoring 51 points; Ball State 41 points; Iowa State 35 points. The last three games Nebraska scored 163 points. Don't even include those trash stats from the USC game.

HavIng To rally to beat Ball State was/shouldve been the sign that the worst was yet to come.

The USC game should be stricken from the record books since Bill agreed to lose to Pete beforehand. Its true, google it.

Unpopular Opinion Alert--Was Brook Berringer all that great of a QB for NU?

Don't get me wrong, he was a great person, citizen, and it was a tragedy that he died so young. I also agree that we probably don't win the national championship in 1994 without him, but let's not make him out to be this amazing QB in Husker history. Go back and check out the games he started in 1994. Other than the CU game, he didn't have a huge impact on those games. He was more of a caretaker/game manager for the last half of the season, and the team rode the defense and LP the last half of the year, until Frazier came back in the OB.

He embodied what it meant to be a Husker! The respect he is deservedly getting is more than for playing time or being the best that ever was!

+1

Brook was one of the most generous, classy, & humble athletes to set foot on any field...in any sport...period. Nebraska does not win the 1994 National Championship without Brook Berringer.

Hahaha...Sam Keller passed for 300 yards and got us out to a 17-3 lead. To say they mounted a comeback only means that we were losing because our defense let Jamal Charles run for 200 yards in one quarter.

• Fire 1

Youre tellin me.

I remember thinking about the USC game thinking "well, USC is USC and theyre just that damn good right now."

But I was at that Ball St game about half way through. Just remember telling my brother "there are some severe issues right now. If we get out of this thing, it may be our last win of the year".

To add to that. Another funny instance. I'm sitting in the stadium mid 3rd quarter of the Ohio St 2011 game and things are falling apart. And it was a week after that 1st Wiscy blowout, and I text my brother "2007-like meltdown here. Probably done for the year. Gonna get ugly".

Literally 2 plays later, LaVonte strips Miller and well, rest is history.

Youre tellin me.

I remember thinking about the USC game thinking "well, USC is USC and theyre just that damn good right now."

But I was at that Ball St game about half way through. Just remember telling my brother "there are some severe issues right now. If we get out of this thing, it may be our last win of the year".

^^^^ all of that. I remember after the USC game, literally everybody on this board had the mindset of, "We're not a bad team, USC is just THAT good."

Then Ball State. Which I was at as well.

Nate Davis was an absolute baller though, regardless of how bad we were.