If you could surgically remove one thing from Nebraska history, what would it be?

knapplc

Callahan, hands down. And not just because it made 2004-2007 blow chunks, but also because it made half our fan base so insecure and lowered standards so much that we're content with 6 wins over terrible teams, 3 lucky wins over decent teams, 2 blow out losses, and a couple more close loses to teams we should have beat. Ad infinitum.

Texas - remove them and we play and most likely play in & win the 1996 NCG. Remove Texas - we don't fumble against them in the 1999 game and we play for the National championship as an undefeated team with a good chance of winning it. - 2 more championships - one for Tom one for Frank. Might have been harder to fire Frank after a 10-3 season just a few seasons removed from a NC. & No 1 second issue Remove Texas just because I can't stand them.

2nd runner up: Tip Extra Point 1983. I think if Tom wins the NC then, the rest of the 1980s may have been set up for a 94-97 type run - while 1984-89 were still good outside of OU and bowl games, we might have been at another level.

62-36...

Pretty good one here. I remember I had just moved to colorado that summer and I was working at this bar w tons of older CU fans (I was 24, most were in their 40s) and they still considered themselves a rival/equal of ours.

There was a girl who was a husker fan who went to the game and came back in the next week, we just could barely talk. I was just like, "what the hell happened, I've never ever seen that before." She said it was bizzaro world, and we were just speechless.

Needless to say until the day I left that job I never ever lived that fateful night down.

I think, looking back, it was the first time I ever thought "are we not indomitable?" "maybe we will not always go 12-2 and be in the top 5-6 teams."

That night was truly the beginning chink in the armor and eventual slow progression that we really haven't been the same sense.

Also, if LP withheld his idiotic behavior until he was well into his NFL career, that would save a lot of grief.

I haven't seen this specifically mentioned yet: whatever the hell it was that was distracting Craig Bohl. Maybe if he coached our defense like he coached North Dakota, Pedey never would have gone on his adventure in the first place? Who knows.

That was a players wife...and we lost a potential NFL HOF DL because of it.

Callahan, hands down. And not just because it made 2004-2007 blow chunks, but also because it made half our fan base so insecure and lowered standards so much that we're content with 6 wins over terrible teams, 3 lucky wins over decent teams, 2 blow out losses, and a couple more close loses to teams we should have beat. Ad infinitum.

I think you are still blaming Bill for Frank's shortcomings. The majority of those players were recruited by Frank that Bill had to work with.