If you could surgically remove one thing from Nebraska history, what would it be?

knapplc

I wouldnt go that far for the 2005 unit. They did carry the team early in the year, but they had some bad performances as well. I thought by the end of 2006 though, that we had a defense playing at a national championship level. I really dont think that Cosgrove's ability was the issue. There was obviously some sort of massive rift that took place at some point, because what I saw in 2007 was mostly a focus and effort problem. A major psychological disconnect.

I wouldnt go that far for the 2005 unit. They did carry the team early in the year, but they had some bad performances as well. I thought by the end of 2006 though, that we had a defense playing at a national championship level. I really dont think that Cosgrove's ability was the issue. There was obviously some sort of massive rift that took place at some point, because what I saw in 2007 was mostly a focus and effort problem. A major psychological disconnect.

The 2007 unit played like they didn't even want to play football anymore.

The loss to Texas in 1996. We go on to win a 3rd straight National Title, and hence, a 4th, becoming the grandest run not only in College football, but probably all sports.

I know. I'm a greedy pile of crap. Screw Bama.

I remember leaving that game crying that we lost. Granted I was 7. Just a horrible day.

Also, agreed on the Brook topic. Not a good day at all for the program. Always thought that if Michigan can have a legacy number or whatever it is they have that NU could do this and let someone that the players pick that best exemplifies what it means to be a Husker wear #18 for that year.

I have always had the opinion that the way Peddy handled the entire Solich firing and coaching search, he did a horrible job of setting up Callahan to succeed. I'm not saying Callahan would have succeeded under a different boss, but Peddy did him no favors. Also, I always got the feeling that part of Callahan's negative attitude towards anything that came before him in the program came from his boss.

So....as much as I disliked Callahan as our coach, Peddy is still the guy who set the tone during all the changes and was the example of attitude that Callahan took on when he arrived.

Lawrence Phillips from ever joining the roster......

Am I the only one who LOVED LP??? I am not condoning what he did off the field, but he is hands down my favorite RB of all time at NU, based on what he did on the field.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. He was/ is a despicable human being.

Am I the only one who LOVED LP??? I am not condoning what he did off the field, but he is hands down my favorite RB of all time at NU, based on what he did on the field.

I don't really know how to separate the talent from the person, so I disagree. Regardless of how good a player is I can't like them or respect them if they're a deplorable human.

I agree about Brook Berringer but that kind of takes the fun out of the thread. How about we concede that is the winner and continue with our trivial by comparison ideas.

This ↑

Then the trivial idea from me is PEDY. He just destroyed all that we loved and sent us spiraling. We are still feeling the effects and slowly gaining traction again. Just hope the path we are on will remedy PEDY'S blunders.

Read the book Anotomy of an Era. I'm bout 90% through the first volume. Still have yet to see one single negative comment about LP from his teammates and other personnel of the program at that time. In fact, there's a hell of a lot more negative feelings thrown towards Frazier from teammates than Phillips. That's a perfect example of what happens when no one's looking out after someone with HIS best interests at heart (TO) after they've had probably the toughest upbringing possible. Now usually, I'm a hardass type that says at some point you need to take responsibility for yourself at some point and so on, but the more I've learned about Phillips, the more I've moved from that stance and gained a better understanding of youth and what happens to them when they have no proper direction or established home/family life. It's really unfortunate, cuz all the guys really like Lawrence.

• Fire 5

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. He was/ is a despicable human being.

I understand your opinion, and I had a small class with him in college. He seemed like a pretty normal guy. I realize what he did in 1995 and since then are deplorable, but I can separate what he did on the field and what he did off the field.

Just to get the hypotheticals really going, let's remove Frank Solich from the programs memory bank. Does anyone see us losing anything of significance without him? I do this to see where we go after TO retires. Or maybe he coaches a few more years. Or.......

i remember reading somewhere that Tom didn't want to retire when he did. Tom retired when he did so that frank could have the Nebraska job instead of moving elsewhere to be a head coach