Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

....eighteen mil over 5 years is probably more than NU would have shelled out.

I'd say NU would have been well within that range. We're at almost 16 mil over 5 years with Bo, and we aren't even a full B1G member yet. This next contract would have come during one of the most financially prosperous periods of Nebraska Athletics, with full membership and a renegotiation of TV rights happening in the first years of the contract. I'd even say we could/would have been beyond that 18 mil mark.

Maybe, I was just surprised when Washington came across with that much cash over that long of a period of time. I don't think TO would have shelled out the much but SE may have. Anyway it is a moot point. BP is still here for at least 2014. My point is that the hot coaches that many are so eager to hire have not done it over the long haul, so hiring any new HC be it whoever is a crap shoot. Outside of Sabin and maybe Meyer no one IMO is a sure thing.

i don't know, Bo is getting over 3 mil per year now....thru 2019....i mean, what the hell??

Which is 10th or 11th in the SEC.

which is damn sure enough until he can at least win his division!

He's won his division 3 times.

EDIT: If I had read one post further someone mentioned that already.

Edited by MO_Husker_Fan

i don't know, Bo is getting over 3 mil per year now....thru 2019....i mean, what the hell??

Put another way, his salary is middle of the pack in the SEC. Two coaches make over $5M, and the next seven average $3.32M while ranging from $3.0 to $3.85M. Bo's salary is now $3.075M, which if these numbers are still accurate, makes him 7th in the SEC, but even if not, everyone apart from the top couple of guys and the bottom couple of guys are in the exact same salary bracket.

I'd be willing to entertain the argument that Bo needs to paid like the top of the second tier of SEC coaches if their names weren't Gus Malzahn and Les Miles. Maybe if Bo had taken us to the national championship in one of his six years here I'd be more up in arms about why he's earning 700k less than the SEC coach who won one.

I absolutely disagree about players committing to the University, not that coach. Why? When your being recruited, your being recruited for the coaches system. When said coach leaves, the system changes. Now all of a sudden your left in a situation where everything is an unknown. If your a young QB coming in, what type of offense is now going to be ran? If your a dual threat, and fit REALLY well in a zone-read, and now you get someone like Nussmeier as your OC under the new HC, a pro-style type of assistant. Either that assistant is going to work around your style of play, or he is going to find someone who is better under what he does best.

The only time I see kids committing to a University and not a coach, is if they are a hometown kid or have a lot of ties. Out of state kids commit to coaches, not Universities.

I just asked my better half who was recruited as a softball player. She said when she committed, she committed because of the coach, not the university.

Put another way, his salary is middle of the pack in the SEC. Two coaches make over $5M, and the next seven average $3.32M while ranging from $3.0 to $3.85M. Bo's salary is now $3.075M, which if these numbers are still accurate, makes him 7th in the SEC, but even if not, everyone apart from the top couple of guys and the bottom couple of guys are in the exact same salary bracket.

I'd be willing to entertain the argument that Bo needs to paid like the top of the second tier of SEC coaches if their names weren't Gus Malzahn and Les Miles. Maybe if Bo had taken us to the national championship in one of his six years here I'd be more up in arms about why he's earning 700k less than the SEC coach who won one.

Those numbers are not updated. I'll have to find the complete list but I know for a fact that Pinkel got a rather large bump from $2.75 million. I'm also not arguing Bo is underpaid. I'm merely pointing out that it's not that much in the big boy leagues.

Texas got Charlie Strong. Penn State got Bill O'Brien, then James Franklin. Washington got Chris Peterson.

Neither you nor I nor anybody here is an expert on the entire college football landscape's coaching talent sitch, so of course we don't know very much more than a handful of names and details.

But don't tell me Nebraska couldn't get somebody damned good if they tried to. This is a great place that has a lot to offer.

WAIT, WHAT??!?!?!??!??!?

I thought Bo was going to coach the Huskies????

One must confess that the Husker nation --- at least if this poll is reflective and representative at all --- is wildly optimistic and stays hopeful year after year. This is a little like Cub fans still holding out hope that this will be the year. I guess this as a good thing... people staying positive.

Bo came in to repair a toxic situation but if or when he leaves, he's likely bequeathing a not-so-dissimilar task for the next guy.

That's an interesting thought. IMO, Bo's successor will probably have similar or slightly less talent on the team when he walks through the door. The team probably won't have completely given up like Callahan's last team. Arguably, the most toxic aspect will be repairing the relationships with people outside of the program and assuming that our next coach has attended at least a single PR class that shouldn't be too difficult. Fans want to like their coach. Fans want to hope. Fans want to believe. It won't take long to reignite those feelings.

Bo came in to repair a toxic situation but if or when he leaves, he's likely bequeathing a not-so-dissimilar task for the next guy.

That's an interesting thought. IMO, Bo's successor will probably have similar or slightly less talent on the team when he walks through the door. The team probably won't have completely given up like Callahan's last team. Arguably, the most toxic aspect will be repairing the relationships with people outside of the program and assuming that our next coach has attended at least a single PR class that shouldn't be too difficult. Fans want to like their coach. Fans want to hope. Fans want to believe. It won't take long to reignite those feelings.

No doubt the biggest challenge for the next coach will be to repair NU's wildly tarnished national reputation (in terms of being a class organization, good sportsmanship, etc.) .