Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think he was after the Phillips deal, but I know from personally talking with him, he felt he was doing the right thing at the time. A lot of kids that play this game, do not have positive father figures, or even a father, single parent raised and some on the streets. I think he bent over backwards to help this type of a kid, but as Saunders said the media took it an ran. I really do not think a coach would survive overlooking some of the things Coach Osborne did.

As sker said, Bo has done nothing on the level of some of those things. Bo is rough around the edges sometimes as a person, a lo are. I am far more upset about not being prepared, getting blown out. But I think the defense is coming around, we have a QB starting that has experience, another one pushing him to be better. If things do not get better, no talking about wins or losses here, then after next year it will be time cut our losses and move forward in a different direction. I think he has done a lot of good, but just to inexperienced for this level of a job. Does not mean he is a bad guy, or anyone should hate him for his effort. Hell I don't even hate Clownahan, I just wish both of them were not so stubborn.

Robsker and I both fit into the blue hair category. I believe Robsker is a professor at a university. I am old retired Marine. We still see winning the right way as important, having a program that is respected in all facets. Robsker has focused totally on Bo and his actions, and given pretty good reasons as to why this is not going to work in the long run.

Being an old Marine, Bo is a beginner for me. Not enough F words to really carry on a conversation. lol. I was the first one on this board to voice my total displeasure with Bo being hired for many reasons. I have endured the pro Bo guys saying every year this is the year for Nebraska and Bo. It does get old, just as some of us and our Bo sucks gets old to the positive Bo guys.

I do differ from Robsker in that I think Bo can correct his problems, that he truly has worked on his temper, his public perception. I have a wife that thinks Bo is a complete idiot, should not have a job at any higher learning position, that he is a total embarrassment to the program by his actions and his win loss ratio. But she has stated that he seems to be working on his attitude.

I see a lot of positives from Bo, but mostly on the player side. His devotion to them, his protection of them and (what I feel) his sincere interest in their development as students, players and young men. Those are truly important parts of his job. His dedication it appears to only recruit quality young men, and run the program as I (personally) think it should be.

I had a Marine Drill Instructor, that was hard as hell, every other word was an F word and I and the platoon were lower than whale poo. But he made me a man, I ending up spending many years around him in the Marine Corps, one of the best, bravest men I have ever known. Rough around the edges, but truly cared about the men under him. So I have lightened up some on Bo, Polo and I used to go round and round about him, Polo supporting him to the enth, and me thinking he was just a step above a maggot.

Bo is not the pretty prince of football, but I think he is honest, hard working and gives us his very best. After this year, if it is not good enough, Bo will need to go, but I just have this funny feeling things are going to be better this year, and just possibly our Frog will turn into that prince we need.

I agree with Robsker about wins not being that important to me. I think that comes with age.

Skersfan:

You characterized me quite well... I too am old school. That said, To be a blue hair requires hair... something that left me long, long ago. I do get the sense that the primary posters that are in the "winning" silences all problems crowd probably are the young posters --- who also seem unconcerned (or, at least, less concerned) with conduct and character than we older posters. So... lets hope that classiness of the program and the notion of good sportsmanship and just decent conduct becomes more and more an emphasis for Bo. That would help a great deal.

Robsker and I both fit into the blue hair category. I believe Robsker is a professor at a university. I am old retired Marine. We still see winning the right way as important, having a program that is respected in all facets. Robsker has focused totally on Bo and his actions, and given pretty good reasons as to why this is not going to work in the long run.

Being an old Marine, Bo is a beginner for me. Not enough F words to really carry on a conversation. lol. I was the first one on this board to voice my total displeasure with Bo being hired for many reasons. I have endured the pro Bo guys saying every year this is the year for Nebraska and Bo. It does get old, just as some of us and our Bo sucks gets old to the positive Bo guys.

I do differ from Robsker in that I think Bo can correct his problems, that he truly has worked on his temper, his public perception. I have a wife that thinks Bo is a complete idiot, should not have a job at any higher learning position, that he is a total embarrassment to the program by his actions and his win loss ratio. But she has stated that he seems to be working on his attitude.

I see a lot of positives from Bo, but mostly on the player side. His devotion to them, his protection of them and (what I feel) his sincere interest in their development as students, players and young men. Those are truly important parts of his job. His dedication it appears to only recruit quality young men, and run the program as I (personally) think it should be.

I had a Marine Drill Instructor, that was hard as hell, every other word was an F word and I and the platoon were lower than whale poo. But he made me a man, I ending up spending many years around him in the Marine Corps, one of the best, bravest men I have ever known. Rough around the edges, but truly cared about the men under him. So I have lightened up some on Bo, Polo and I used to go round and round about him, Polo supporting him to the enth, and me thinking he was just a step above a maggot.

Bo is not the pretty prince of football, but I think he is honest, hard working and gives us his very best. After this year, if it is not good enough, Bo will need to go, but I just have this funny feeling things are going to be better this year, and just possibly our Frog will turn into that prince we need.

I agree with Robsker about wins not being that important to me. I think that comes with age.

Skersfan:

You characterized me quite well... I too am old school. That said, To be a blue hair requires hair... something that left me long, long ago. I do get the sense that the primary posters that are in the "winning" silences all problems crowd probably are the young posters --- who also seem unconcerned (or, at least, less concerned) with conduct and character than we older posters. So... lets hope that classiness of the program and the notion of good sportsmanship and just decent conduct becomes more and more an emphasis for Bo. That would help a great deal.

I get your dissatisfaction with Bo's anger outbursts, but you act as if he doesn't do anything positive at all for the program. How about his emphasis on education and no nonsense attitude for bad behavior? Raising the cumulative GPA to above 3.0, which is pretty astounding for a team with 100+ players. I feel that the team also stays relatively trouble free, especially compared to other teams. Bo prioritizes graduating well educated quality young men first, and has backed off that for the sake of winning despite the amount of rising pressure on him. What about Team Jack? There is a whole thread on his positive impact. Regarding his on the field actions, I feel like they are getting better over the last 2 years. His outbursts last year were after the tape release, which was a low blow, and during the end of the season after everyone in the press was almost 100% anti-Bo all of the time. I mean there was no let up, it got to me and I am not the subject of the press hate.

Yeah, 74's idea of entitled sounds pretty great, actually. Count me in.

i remember watching PTI long ago, like between 2000-2004 and they were talking about something, i really do not remember. but wilbon listed off a bunch of teams that had won national championships. nebraska was one of the teams he mentioned. he went on to say that it was those teams' birthrights to win championships. i was proud that not only were we mentioned with such great teams, but that we had such an awesome birthright.

i guess i should now be ashamed of that.

As usual, I'm hopping the Dude's bandwagon with his sig.

Something else I find #ironic is that the Bo-leavers claim to worry about how Bo's antics negatively affect the image of the program, state, etc., yet they totally ignore how they, by pining for the firing of said #9/10 win coach, do more damage in the eyes of recruits, potential replacement coaches, and fans of other programs.

Current recruits for Nebraska haven't played a down for NU and sometimes might never play a down for NU. I don't really care about how Bo's antics affect them, or how a coach getting fired affects them. You should commit to a University, not to a coach. Ask any student-athlete that and most would say that.

I would prefer that the football coach at Nebraska not act like a complete horse's ass on the day after Thanksgiving on national tv because:

a) It looks bad

b) the call that caused it wasn't all that egregious

c) it clearly affects the current players and how they play

d) hes supposed to be coaching and evaluating, pretty hard to do that when you're screaming like a madman at an offical who isn't going to reverse the call no matter what you do

e) whether he likes it or not, Bo is a representative of the University, the state and its alumni. Perhaps even one of the most prominent ones. In other words, his job is bigger than him, he is not bigger than Nebraska football. He's taking the reputations of many great people with him when he wears the N and goes on TV. And I'd appreciate it if he'd at least pay that fact at least a small amount of respect instead of acting like the whole goddamn world is out to get him.

I'd dull my edge if I thought he could at least comprehend letter "e", but so far he doesn't seem to have a f#*k to give about that fact. And it's really insulting.

...my

A and B are right. The call didn't wasn't that horrendous, and didn't deserve the eruption that it got. Had it been a Texas A&M style call, I think most of us would agree that the response is justifiable.

C: I have yet to see some good evidence (and by that, I mean more than anecdotal and not affected by the confirmation bias)that links poor performance after a head coach goes ballistic. So no, it does not clearly affect our players and how they play.

D: Those moments take up a very small percentage of the actual game, which itself takes up a very small percentage of the entire coaching and evaluating job. You'd agree that coaching is more than just what happens on the field, despite the fact that the metric determining coaching success is wins and losses, yes? So one moment of hysteria doesn't disqualify Bo from doing his job, as you say coaching and evaluating, for the rest of eternity.

E: You must be missing the latest articles about Bo. Go ahead, read them. But I warn you, they might be too positive for your liking.

NU football has much, much less than a sterling reputation re:sportsmanship nationally. In fact, NU has among the worst reputations in college football... and this stems largely from the perceptions (very negative) of Bo, Incognito, and Suh. You are correct perception is the functional equivalent of reality. Living out of state, I hear nothing but bad things about NU football and it always centers on Boo's conduct (viewed very negatively) and Suh and Incognito... but mostly Bo.

You never hear any mention of Jack Hoffman or Nick Pasquale? Or opposing fans' reactions after seeing a game in Lincoln?

That's too bad.

I would not say that Bo's individual outbursts and tantrums have an effect on particular games. But I will agree and state that teams do reflect their coach. Bo is an emotional roller coaster of hotheadedness who completely loses his cool at times, and there's not denying that this is how Nebraska has played football for six seasons now.

• Fire 1

I would not say that Bo's individual outbursts and tantrums have an effect on particular games. But I will agree and state that teams do reflect their coach. Bo is an emotional roller coaster of hotheadedness who completely loses his cool at times, and there's not denying that this is how Nebraska has played football for six seasons now.

I wonder if this is just true for Nebraska. I mean, Mr. Saban loses his cool a lot, and that hasn't really hurt Alabama. Mark Dantonio doesn't lose his cool a lot, yet that didn't help Michigan State achieve great things a few years ago.

I wonder if this is just true for Nebraska. I mean, Mr. Saban loses his cool a lot, and that hasn't really hurt Alabama. Mark Dantonio doesn't lose his cool a lot, yet that didn't help Michigan State achieve great things a few years ago.

I venture to wonder the difference of tone and the type of things being said when Bo loses his cool versus when a guy like Saban freaks out. Are things said more motivational and supportive, kind of like a "hey you f'd up and I'm pissed, but here's what you're gonna do next time!". Or is it " you f'd up, how many times have I told you that would happen, get out of my sight and have a seat on the bench!". Just examples, not saying one does one or the other, but ass chewings can do two things........tear you down, or motivate you to be better.

Secondly, I think even when Saban chews some butt, he has assistant coaches who then have the ability to teach what Saban may have wanted done differently. Coach the guys up so the mistakes don't happen again. One could wonder with the inexperience and sometimes lack of communication on Bo's staff if these assistants are comfortable or able to convey exactly what Bo may want to see different?

I can't really say anything for sure, I just agree with the initial statement that the team seems to be a roller coaster of emotions and the results tend to be similar.

NU football has much, much less than a sterling reputation re:sportsmanship nationally. In fact, NU has among the worst reputations in college football... and this stems largely from the perceptions (very negative) of Bo, Incognito, and Suh. You are correct perception is the functional equivalent of reality. Living out of state, I hear nothing but bad things about NU football and it always centers on Boo's conduct (viewed very negatively) and Suh and Incognito... but mostly Bo.

You never hear any mention of Jack Hoffman or Nick Pasquale? Or opposing fans' reactions after seeing a game in Lincoln?

That's too bad.

I agree that that is too bad. Human nature I suppose. People tend to notice the bad more readily than the good. I have not heard others comment positively now for some time. But... that can change...

Caveman99 above posted that there have been good things too from Pelini over time. I agree with that assessment. There have been good things (I have, actually, posted on some of the good things too). It takes time for the memory of the bad things to dissipate (nationally, and in the media)... yet there is hope that the bad stuff from our coach go to zero this year (that is, new bad things) and some good things get highlighted. It would be wonderful were that the case. People can change and they do mature. I hope the many positive things re: NU football are the focal point going forward.

That's too bad.

Of course he did. It doesn't fit his mindset though.

That's too bad.

Interesting Saunders... you know what I have heard from others. Quite a skill you have there.

Actually, no one has mentioned the Team Jack thing in connection with Bo. Which is too bad because that is quite a positive thing. Like I said, outsiders tend to dwell on what they see, and what the media tends to center on (and hence what they see) is the negative stuff. That is the way it generally works.

• Fire 1

That's too bad.

Ahh. I do hear about opposing fans enjoying their time at an NU game. That is indeed common. NU fans have a great reputation. What often I hear (being out of state) are fans of other programs having an historic positive impression (or, at least, neutral impression) of NU in general who basically are wondering why we "put up with what is going on (with pour coach's conduct)." But yes, I (and I surmise others from out of state too) do hear of great things of NU fans. That said, my recent comments in this posting have been perceptions of NU elicited in view of Bo's conduct... not about NU fans in general.

• Fire 1

That's too bad.

Interesting Saunders... you know what I have heard from others. Quite a skill you have there.

Actually, no one has mentioned the Team Jack thing in connection with Bo. Which is too bad because that is quite a positive thing. Like I said, outsiders tend to dwell on what they see, and what the media tends to center on (and hence what they see) is the negative stuff. That is the way it generally works.

See, I was right.