Coach Pelini Extension

Right now, Pelini kind of seems like John Cooper, a good coach with a good win percentage but can't quite get to where we want to go. At times, Pelini has acted like Woody Hayes, with the Iowa game being dangerously close...

I don't see the situations as analagous at all. Cooper put together 6 straight top 15 seasons, including 1996 #2 w/ Rose Bowl win and 1998 #2 w/ Sugar Bowl win, five of which were double digit win seasons (one 9 win season). During five seasons, his teams were serious MNC contenders until the final weeks of the regular season. He produced NFL guys like Orlando Pace, Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway, David Boston, Shawn Springs, Mike Vrabel, Atoine Winfield, Nate Clements, N Diggs, most of the 2002 OSU MNC team, etc. Then he started getting old and lost control of the team (a creeping culture of entitlment helped, too). Bo's situation is entirely different, imo. Young and still building.

Right now, Pelini kind of seems like John Cooper, a good coach with a good win percentage but can't quite get to where we want to go. At times, Pelini has acted like Woody Hayes, with the Iowa game being dangerously close...

I don't see the situations as analagous at all. Cooper put together 6 straight top 15 seasons, including 1996 #2 w/ Rose Bowl win and 1998 #2 w/ Sugar Bowl win, five of which were double digit win seasons (one 9 win season). During five seasons, his teams were serious MNC contenders until the final weeks of the regular season. He produced NFL guys like Orlando Pace, Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway, David Boston, Shawn Springs, Mike Vrabel, Atoine Winfield, Nate Clements, N Diggs, most of the 2002 OSU MNC team, etc. Then he started getting old and lost control of the team (a creeping culture of entitlment helped, too). Bo's situation is entirely different, imo. Young and still building.

I as thinking this the other day as well. It's still similar in overall perception thought. Pretty decent, but not good enough.

Cooper had blown his wad. Maintaining a juggernaut program for 5+ years is really, really hard. When he failed to win in 98, with one of the most dominant teams of the decade, and had already hit 60 (i think), the air started leaving the balloon pretty quickly. I don't think Bo has crested at all, unless his explosions get the better of him and make things untenable. He's a good but erratic, youngish coach. His kids play hard for him and have pulled out some ridiculous victories thanks to sheer force of will (maybe a bit of luck). Of course, there have been some embarrassing losses. But I doubt that Nebraska could make a net positive move right now, unless things are really toxic behind the scenes. From the outside, I think positive momentum is building at UNL, between support for Bo, sound football recruiting for 2015, and Miles and the b-ball team. But you guys definitely know more details.

Two of Stewart Mandel's nine answered letters were about Bo Pelini's contract extension in the latest Mailbag.

Stewart, with everything you've written about Bo Pelini and Nebraska recently, you've got to be surprised by the news of Pelini's contract extension, right?

-- Steve, Strongsville, Ohio

No, not really. He got a one-year extension, the bare minimum show of confidence an athletic director can offer. It was probably necessary to reassure recruits. But good for Pelini. He could use a little love right now, as Tim Miles' Nebrasketball is the hottest show in town.

The Bo Pelini contract extension. Five words. Go.

-- James, Asheville, N.C.

Five more years of @FauxPelini!

Two of Stewart Mandel's nine answered letters were about Bo Pelini's contract extension in the latest Mailbag.

Stewart, with everything you've written about Bo Pelini and Nebraska recently, you've got to be surprised by the news of Pelini's contract extension, right?

No, not really. He got a one-year extension, the bare minimum show of confidence an athletic director can offer. It was probably necessary to reassure recruits. But good for Pelini. He could use a little love right now, as Tim Miles' Nebrasketball is the hottest show in town.

Neither from Nebraska. Confirms what I have experienced here in California: no one outside Nebraska fans can believe he's still coaching here.

Neither from Nebraska. Confirms what I have experienced here in California: no one outside Nebraska fans can believe he's still coaching here.

Bingo

Bingo

Doesn't really matter, cuz presumably he's our coach through at least 2014. I'm hoping that they can fill some holes in the secondary and that depth at DE holds up. If that happens i think that the D can be pretty good. If the OL can get some less experienced guys to step up, with the RBs we have, we can probably ride them to a decent year, since i think that QB play will be the Achilles heel of the team.

I know, I know, we deserve better than a pretty good year. It's a dead horse that quite frankly most people are tired of beating.

• Fire 3

Anecdotal evidence is all I need to make an uninformed opinion.

• Fire 4

Anecdotal evidence is all I need to make an uninformed opinion.

how much does it take before it's not longer anecdotal? if 80% of the 10 people I speak to about the subject in a given month express similar opinions, is it anecdotal? -- and I'm in Minneapolis this week...so I've gotten a B1G perspective of the situation finally...and it matches my experience in KC exactly.