A look ahead at Nebraska's 2014 schedule

8-23 isnt good by any means. But these are also against some teams that finished the year unranked/ranked higher, as well as victories over teams that were just shy being ranked/finished ranked. Its a nify stat if you want to show Bo in a negative way. And its okay to say we win 9 games a year. Same kind of stat.

Im looking at the gray area, the portion not measured by legit stats and those other "stats. The gray area for 2014 looks pretty good, the gray area from last year also doesnt look too shabby.

Bo's record against teams that finished the year ranked is 8-18. Still poor, but not as much so.

I don't have a point.

Yeah its not much better. I guess I could sit here and make "excuses" for why that number isnt better but really it comes down to 2 things.

1) We cant control our opponents records (except when we play them)

2) When a ranked team comes knocking, we need to knock them out.

Nebraska 2011-2013 4-8, average rank* #13.1 average score 25.2 - 37.5, average rank of victory #19.1, average rank of defeat #10.0, average opp. record 10.4-3.0, average opp. record in victory 9.3-4.3, average opp. record in defeat 11.0 - 2.4, average score in victory 26.5 - 16.8, average score in defeat 24.5 - 47.9, losses of three scores or more 6 (50% of all games), wins of three scores or more 1

Miami 2011-2013 0-9, average rank #13.3, average score 18.6 - 37.8, average rank of victory N/A, average opp.record 11.2-2.2, average opp.record in victory N/A, losses of three scores or more 5 (56% of all games)

* average rank: NR = 26, except for Ohio State, which is counted as another #3

Nebraska with a clear edge in performance (although this conclusion could also have been drawn simply by comparing season records).

I edited to add some more tallies to the cumulative here which spotlights the other side of the argument. While Nebraska did notch four wins vs Top 25 finishers (8-6 Wisconsin, 8-5 Michigan, 10-3 Northwestern, and 11-3 Michigan State), the remaining 8 games came vs. a set of opponents with:

• similar record (11.0-2.4, vs 11.2-2.2 for Miami)
  • slightly higher ranking (10.0 vs 13.3 for Miami)
  • slightly higher margin of defeat (23.4 vs 19.2 for Miami; average score 24.5-47.9 vs 18.6-37.8)
  • 6 of 8 losses of 3+ scores (75%). For Miami, if we remove the two opponents with the lowest rank to achieve a closer opponent average ranking (10.0 vs 10.6), their number would be 4 of 7 (57%).

Nonetheless, I feel our 24-3 victory over a Top-10 Michigan State team in 2011 should be well noted -- as should the interesting fact that we faced four Top-10 finishers that year (though we did get blown out by three of them).

Also, I am pretty sure these numbers for Nebraska in the second three-year period under Bo Pelini are substantially worse than for his first three-year period. That indicates an alarming trend for Nebraska, but also suggests that these first three years might be Miami's...golden years, so to speak, under Al. You never know!

I am expecting a team similar to last year's in player ability. The defense seemed to me to be more dependent upon the coach's defensive game plan than the player's performance. The offense needs to stay on the field longer- score and keep their offense off of the field. I don't know if Tim Beck's play calling will get a lot better but I think everything revolves on the QB play. We really need Armstrong to take over and do some amzaing things to move the chains.

Would you like to get really broad and discuss duplicity and irony then? Because you have them down whether you know it or not.

giphy.gif

Has Bo sucked against superior competition, yes. It comes down to, do you want to give him a chance to better, or go after somebody who could do worse, because I really don't think you're going to get somebody better at this point...

Would you like to get really broad and discuss duplicity and irony then? Because you have them down whether you know it or not.

giphy.gif

Has Bo sucked against superior competition, yes. It comes down to, do you want to give him a chance to better, or go after somebody who could do worse, because I really don't think you're going to get somebody better at this point...

What were the first 6 years?

• Fire 1

We have no clue if they new guy would be better or worse, so we'll remain stagnant instead.

But what if you fire Bo, then realize you have no real candidates to go after? Do you try to rehire Frank? Or the Turner Gill/Scott Frost propaganda starts up again?

It is crappy because unless Bo gets this thing head in the right direction, you're stuck...

giphy.gif

The program underachieving and not taking advantage of opportunities at critical times. But what would you do to fix it?

giphy.gif

The program underachieving and not taking advantage of opportunities at critical times. But what would you do to fix it?

Make a change at the head coaching level.