All this Tim Beck talk....

I want to see him stick with what's working! Don't get cute, don't throw the ball all over the field if the run is working. Stick with it until they stop it, then move on to the next set of plays. All to often in the past he bailed on something that was working and then we couldn't move the ball and it was maddening! You have a stable of running backs, use them and dare the opponent to try and stop them. Four quarters of offense would be swell too, not just two quarters.

This ^^^.

Heck even only 3 quarters would be a 50% improvement and that's likely all it would take to put 2 or 3 more in the win column with our schedule.

The blueprint during the Taylor Martinez years went like this for the opposing D:

Stop the run, dare them to pass, continue until they do something to make you respect the pass.

Isn't that a common blueprint for defense?

Yes, and my point you would think a competent coaching staff would have a counter. Often times, that doesn't happen, and we get no shortage of coach speak and excuses in return.

The blueprint during the Taylor Martinez years went like this for the opposing D:

Stop the run, dare them to pass, continue until they do something to make you respect the pass.

Yes, and my point you would think a competent coaching staff would have a counter. Often times, that doesn't happen, and we get no shortage of coach speak and excuses in return.

This. Play actions, draws, traps, bubble screen (look how other schools employee this with success). Very rarely did Beck have a true counter to this.

I expect this year to be no different. TA to Bell on fly routes will pull them out, but TA has to be nails every time. Two back sets will make them slower to pin their ears and send everything. RB delay and then to the flats ala Marlon Lucky etc.... Seems like every team we play stacks the box and did so the past 3 years. Other teams can counter this. We seem to be hard pressed to do this. Beck continually says "take what the D gives us", well 8 in the box should leave some easy 1-1 match ups for the likes of a slow slant by Carter (see UGA), Bell, West and Turner etc..... should be able to beat 1-1 coverage IMO. Just war to see Beck do this. Until they (D) stop it..........

It's like they just lucked their way into scoring touchdowns.

I'd like to see him avoid taking one of our biggest receiving threats, and move them into the "slot" position that catches 3 passes a season. McNeil, Reed, etc. The fullback is gone, boo hoo. But the marginalization of our TE's the last 3 seasons is puzzling to me. Especially with a hot/cold QB under center for that entire time. No wonder we can't recruit one. Let's just admit it and add another lineman, or go diamond as our base. No point in a TE being there to just take up space.

• Fire 1

I'd like to see him avoid taking one of our biggest receiving threats, and move them into the "slot" position that catches 3 passes a season. McNeil, Reed, etc. The fullback is gone, boo hoo. But the marginalization of our TE's the last 3 seasons is puzzling to me. Especially with a hot/cold QB under center for that entire time. No wonder we can't recruit one. Let's just admit it and add another lineman, or go diamond as our base. No point in a TE being there to just take up space.

Beck wasn't OC with McNeil, but I do agree. IIRC, Reed was hurt all through 2011, and we haven't really had a receiving threat at TE until Carter. He was targeted quite a few times, but didn't make the catch, or was missed on the throw.

My biggest criticism of Beck is his play calling. Sometimes he acts like a kid playing play station. Just forgets his script and goes pass happy for 2 3 & out drives. Or other times he goes to the well a few too many times..

Lol, this is the epitome of a Husker fan. I remember TO being criticized for running too much, and now that we have an OC who prefers more of a 50~50 run pass spilt, we throw too much.

If a play is working keep going back to it, Husker fans say. Until you do it 8 times in a row, get stuffed couple of times and then they'll say he's too predictable. On 3rd and goal from the 2 Husker fans say don't be cute and throw the ball, just jam it down their throats, until that gets stuffed and he should have thrown the ball in that instance.

Being Husker OC has to be about the worst job ever.

• Fire 2

I don't know that this necessarily falls on Beck's shoulders, but our offense as a group drastically needs to improve on fewer turnovers and fewer penalties. Too often we end up with 2nd and long or 3rd and long because of a penalty. Too often we place a heavy burden on our defense by giving up the rock on the short side of the field. Our defense a couple of years ago wasn't very good, but our offense made them look a lot worse than they really were.

The UCLA game seems to get brought up a lot to critique Beck. We ran and threw the ball pretty effectively in the first half, having 26 rushes and 16 pass attempts. Abdullah had about 63 yards and was averaging 3.7 YPC.

To start the 3rd quarter, mind you when we still had a lead, we came out passing. Only two of eight plays were runs to a running back, only one to Abdullah, in the opening drive. That drive ended in a punt. By the end of the 3rd, we had attempted 12 passes and run the ball 10 times, surrendering an 11 point lead in the process and eventually being down 38-21 by the end of the quarter.

Using this one game as an example, it shows that when we went away from the running game our drives suffered. We threw three TD passes in the first half, yes, but that was with a heavy dose of AA to supplement it all. When he wasn't getting the ball, we weren't scoring points. Plain and simple.

So, what this all says to me is give AA the damn ball.

Not to mention enhance, we failed to use the running game as a calming influence for a young team that had lost the lead. This is something else about our current offense that i dont like. Our selection of tempo situationally doesnt seem to mesh well with our prsonel. Its like we hit the panic button too fast or somethin. The whole gimmicky scheme just seems to infuse such an influx of panic and tentativeness. So its not so much what we're doing but rather when were doing certain things. It takes a feel for the game and your players.

• Fire 1

Not to mention enhance, we failed to use the running game as a calming influence for a young team that had lost the lead. This is something else about our current offense that i dont like. Our selection of tempo situationally doesnt seem to mesh well with our prsonel. Its like we hit the panic button too fast or somethin. The whole gimmicky scheme just seems to infuse such an influx of panic and tentativeness. So its not so much what we're doing but rather when were doing certain things. It takes a feel for the game and your players.

This sums it up very well. Just never seem to get in and stay in the groove.

Some other telling things from that third quarter. As I mentioned, the first 3rd quarter drive featured two runs and six passes. The second drive - one run, one pass and a sack. The third drive - three straight incomplete passes. UCLA had only a three point lead at this point. Following the third drive, they scored another touchdown to make it 31-21.

The fourth drive was actually promising to begin. AA got the ball twice for a net gain of 10 yards and a first. But, the next play TM lost four, then threw a three yard pass, then TM ran for 8 and we finally failed on a fake punt.

That aligns well with what you're saying that we hit the panic button too fast sometimes. We just lost all rhythm.