BIG10 Media Days Bo Pelini

I wonder what the thinking was behind not bringing the potential top five draft pick to Chicago........

Potential distractions with questions about things other than the upcoming season

Like questions about cats?

That may be slightly different than a player being asked repeatedly what his plans are a year from now.

One of my biggest gripes with the coaching staff is how they start vanilla. To me, you establish your identity and do what you want to do from the get go. Don't withhold things for a possible element of surprise later. To me the more reps and practice you get doing your scheme, the better you will be. To me it costs us valuable time to get some subs in late in non con games too.

I used to think the same thing, but now I think starting vanilla is more about getting the players up to speed than for a tactical advantage. Certainly last year the defense needed the early simplicity.

I wonder what the thinking was behind not bringing the potential top five draft pick to Chicago........

Potential distractions with questions about things other than the upcoming season

Bo prefers to bring seniors to media days

Perhaps a little nod to Cooper being from the Chicago area as well.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/b-g-media-days-bo-pelini-on-veronica-alternate-uniforms/article_744466ca-1732-11e4-8f5f-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

>> Nebraska's offense has been a topic of conversation for two days in Chicago, and Pelini seems committed to going after more of a 50/50 balance. But offensive coordinator Tim Beck intends to do that, Pelini said, by focusing on fewer plays and packages, specifically the ones the Huskers do well. Nebraska's coaches went back over the last 12-18 months of plays, determined what worked and what didn't, and focused on what worked. Beck unveiled the plan to the offense at the beginning of spring ball. Wide receiver Kenny Bell said it's the first time in his career the coaches have shared their research with players.

Well that sounds better than just the 50/50 quote but I'm still skeptical.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/b-g-media-days-bo-pelini-on-veronica-alternate-uniforms/article_744466ca-1732-11e4-8f5f-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

>> Nebraska's offense has been a topic of conversation for two days in Chicago, and Pelini seems committed to going after more of a 50/50 balance. But offensive coordinator Tim Beck intends to do that, Pelini said, by focusing on fewer plays and packages, specifically the ones the Huskers do well. Nebraska's coaches went back over the last 12-18 months of plays, determined what worked and what didn't, and focused on what worked. Beck unveiled the plan to the offense at the beginning of spring ball. Wide receiver Kenny Bell said it's the first time in his career the coaches have shared their research with players.

Well that sounds better than just the 50/50 quote but I'm still skeptical.

Glad they are looking at what works. Look at what we have done well i.e. runs, blocks, passes, catches etc.... Things the guys can execute successfully in their sleep. Can the rest.

93.7s Mike welch and tom shatel talked to Shawn Eichorst as he was walking to an elevator. One noticeable thing was Eichorst said Nebraska and Wisconsin are working on a trophy game

Wouldn't be upset if this became the annual day after thanksgiving game

after thanksgiving day against WIS would be a step towards a phenominal rivalry..

Well Bo said the right things at media day.

*Two of the main focuses are fixing the turnover margin and special teams.

*Cutting the fat out of the offensive playbook so they can get great at certain things, rather than mediocre at everything.

Making practice time more efficient and cutting the amount of time doing it is an interesting idea. Just piecing together quotes from the players and Bo, they sound like they are going to practice like Oregon does. Rep, rep, rep, rep...don't waste time doing walkthroughs and other things that slow down practices. Pull a player aside for instruction while more reps are being taken rather than stopping practice to do it. Also waiting to correct players after the coaches watch the practice film.

Some good ideas. Let's see how it works for them.