New Trophy Game vs. Wisconsin

Rivalry brewing with Wisky? Please tell me you jest. We have done nothing to garner a rivalry with Wisconsin. They have absolutely s*** stomped us twice and we had a comeback win on a 4th down fumble. No real other history other than coaching lineage.

NW we have exiciting B1G games. PSU we have B1G games with historic disputes. Iowa is on our border (only claim they really have and that is still more than Wisconsin). Those three have more footings than Wisky. Nebraska hasn't held their end of the deal.

unless it is an instate rivalry or some real historical relevance between the states of the school (ku-mizzou border war), it is hard to create a rivalry. basically, it will take neb. and wiscy going for the division every year, or one team playing spoiler, to develop a rivalry. that is just my imo.

Let it develop organically. As long as the Big Ten doesn't screw around with the divisions anymore (probably wishful thinking), Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin are going to play some very important games down the line. At some point, something will happen that will make sense for a trophy game. (I'm all for a missing piece of turf to commemorate the NU-PSU games of 1982 and 2012 if that became an annual series again).

Another trophy I could get behind is a Quadrangle of Hate trophy for NU-MN-IA-WI.

especially when the best rivalries come about organically?

Tell that to the Monsanto vs Facebook blood feud.

some have to be genetically modified, but that is to make sure there are enough rivalries for everyone.

Let's leave the Wisconsin players out of this conversation.

you can't eat that much cheese made with milk enhanced by hormone treatment and tell me it doesn't change you.

Ah....."What's for Dinner?"

Let's just call a spade a spade and quit bitching. Rivalries = Marketing Opportunity = Hype = Money.

or, in this case...

Marking Opportunity = Manufactured Rivalry = More Hype = More Money.

They've kicked our ass, once in the biggest game of the year by absolutely crushing us, and not just crushing us, but they did it the good old Nebraska way.....they ran it down our throats! Their fans left many Huskers with a bad taste in their mouthed when they left, but yet here most of you are here boo-hoo-hooing how this is some made up rivalry? I think this is the closest thing to a rivaldynwe've began building in the Big Ten. Whe do you people think these rivalries begin? In some magic fairy land? We left the Big 12 people, we don't get to kick the sh#t out of Kansas teams anymore, so maybe you could embrace this a bit instead of whining. There's not a team on this schedule I want or beat more than Wisconsin, Iowa, and Miami.

Do Badger fans care about The Axe? Absolutely!

That behemoth was introduced in 1948, as another poster alluded to, to replace the Old Slab of Bacon trophy that had disappeared a few years before that. The Axe commemorated what was already an extremely heated rivalry that already had 57 meetings. That means that it already had extreme significance to both players and fans.

Today (and since 2003) The Axe is displayed in a massive glass trophy case in the middle of the Wisconsin locker room to serve as year-round motivation to the team. For fans, the significance is visible when thousands stick around after the Minnesota game to watch the goalposts get chopped down, and as the sidelines are packed with people who want to get a chance to touch the trophy as the players take a lap around the stadium with it. The Axe is also brought and displayed across the State during various festivals, The Wisconsin State Fair, county fairs and Badger athletic events.

The trophy with Iowa also took some immediate significance because it also commemorates a preexisting rivalry and history, but it is certainly less important than The Axe.

I've always liked this about the Big Ten. These trophy games go back a long ways. They all started somewhere though.

Rivalry brewing with Wisky? Please tell me you jest. We have done nothing to garner a rivalry with Wisconsin. They have absolutely s*** stomped us twice and we had a comeback win on a 4th down fumble. No real other history other than coaching lineage.

NW we have exiciting B1G games. PSU we have B1G games with historic disputes. Iowa is on our border (only claim they really have and that is still more than Wisconsin). Those three have more footings than Wisky. Nebraska hasn't held their end of the deal.

Ha! They've sh#t stomped us twice.....that was the exact reason I see this rivalry going somewhere. A formidable opponent, one who is built upon a similar foundation,a a loyal fan base, a dedication to the run game. They've smacked us up pretty badly, but I guess for guys who lay down and take it, no big deal. I see it as more of a fight, with something to prove. We owe them.

Ha! They've sh#t stomped us twice.....that was the exact reason I see this rivalry going somewhere. A formidable opponent, one who is built upon a similar foundation,a a loyal fan base, a dedication to the run game. They've smacked us up pretty badly, but I guess for guys who lay down and take it, no big deal. I see it as more of a fight, with something to prove. We owe them.

So you're saying Colorado was a rivalry game. As was Kansas State. As was Missouri. Because we beat the crap out of them and they had something to prove and owed us.

So you're saying Colorado was a rivalry game. As was Kansas State. As was Missouri. Because we beat the crap out of them and they had something to prove and owed us.

Actually, yeah.