Eichorst: Moving Student Seats Needs to Be Considered

Mavric

Of course those student seats up at the top will appear empty as students cram in with friends down in better seats. Or else just skip games because they don't want to sit in the nosebleed section. It's not rocket science.

Entitled is a word often used for players, it may fit the students to.

Flat Water, the students need to be part of the game no question. But they do not control the game. Our family has been involved with the University of Nebraska since the late 1800's, buying tickets to game, family members graduating from Nebraska, land donations for the ag department and some have actually played on the team. Many season tickets packages have been bought and the seats have changed over time, but pretty much the same place the last 25 years or so as I remember. Is it fair to say that we have a young person that may become a donor, we need your seats and move us to a less favorable site. Which most it would be.. I want the kids involved, but under no circumstance in the big picture are they that important. Currently they are more of an embarrassment, due to lack of filling their allotted seats. I do not buy the games are not good enough. Although I think that is going to change with the playoff. I can understand the moving down side though. Possibly assigned seats as a Freshman, moved down as a Sophomore, Junior and Seniors and Graduates nearest the field. Make attending important, and being there at the right time.

I would love to see them right behind the opposing team's bench. Making noise there, messing with the other team's concentration would be a good thing. But to say it has to happen, has affect on many, many people that have attended as many games as days some will attend the university.

The error was building the sky boxes and not making the student section a priority. Planning then as it is now was about making money, and that is the way it will remain. They put the students in the seats that cost them the least money. Maybe not fair, but business practice is sound.

It may fit the season ticket holders too. If you don't like how the university is treating you, then stop going to the games. That's exactly what the current students are doing.

I wonder how many season ticket holders were formerly student ticket holders. If there are a lot of former student ticket holders, then the student section should get more of a priority. If not, then the current system shouldn't hurt the AD too much in the future.

Flat Water, the students need to be part of the game no question. But they do not control the game. Our family has been involved with the University of Nebraska since the late 1800's, buying tickets to game, family members graduating from Nebraska, land donations for the ag department and some have actually played on the team. Many season tickets packages have been bought and the seats have changed over time, but pretty much the same place the last 25 years or so as I remember. Is it fair to say that we have a young person that may become a donor, we need your seats and move us to a less favorable site. Which most it would be.. I want the kids involved, but under no circumstance in the big picture are they that important. Currently they are more of an embarrassment, due to lack of filling their allotted seats. I do not buy the games are not good enough. Although I think that is going to change with the playoff. I can understand the moving down side though. Possibly assigned seats as a Freshman, moved down as a Sophomore, Junior and Seniors and Graduates nearest the field. Make attending important, and being there at the right time.

I would love to see them right behind the opposing team's bench. Making noise there, messing with the other team's concentration would be a good thing. But to say it has to happen, has affect on many, many people that have attended as many games as days some will attend the university.

The error was building the sky boxes and not making the student section a priority. Planning then as it is now was about making money, and that is the way it will remain. They put the students in the seats that cost them the least money. Maybe not fair, but business practice is sound.

There's kind of a give and take going on regarding students filling up their seats. First of all, anyone has to admit that the seats way up in the South end zone are garbage and not many people would willingly want to sit there. Unless you have a marquee game such as UCLA:

nebraskaballoons.gif

Or we have a team that is actually doing well and is actually in the hunt to win something. I'm not sure, but I think our student section was filled up when Michigan State came to town. We still had a chance at turning the season around and making the conference championship game and were coming off consecutive wins against Northwestern and Michigan.

Right now, students aren't showing up because there isn't a good game (Miami maybe) on the home schedule and Nebraska might not be in any title race.

I also think it's more difficult to sell a student ticket than it is to sell a regular ticket. I'm not sure if regular tickets require a validation fee, but student tickets do. So, as a student you can sell a ticket for $30 but a person is still going to have to pay $65 or so to get it validated. To that end, why not just buy a regular ticket from someone selling one for $50?

Assigned seating could work. Freshman should be the most willing to take the higher up seats because to some that's their first Husker game day experience. But assigning seats is a logistical nightmare.

I think they should be placed in the front couple of rows right behind the visiting team.

i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.

Add some extra rows right behind their sideline, and perhaps in the end zones, and let them spread out and go crazy.

Lord knows the Blue Hairs sure as hell won't.

I am sure there are plenty of students that don't show up for the 11 AM kickoffs and may be too drunk or interested in partying to go into the stadium for the night games. I honestly can't blame them too much for that.

But, I also think the students get a bad rap when they show a number of rows at the top of the stadium that are completely empty. I can guarantee you that the student section is jam packed in the lower rows. When the lower rows have more students than allotted seats, it's going to create "empty rows" at the top of the stadium. That was one issue when TO moved the students behind the normal seating. The seats were so high up, that the students were forced to pack in super tight in the lower rows.

To be fair, no one is forcing them to pack super tight, but given the circumstances, I would do the same thing if I hadn't waited in line to get great seats.

But yeah, the empty rows at the top aren't totally their fault, it's just an unfortunate situation for them.

• Fire 1