Shatel: B1G Needs Attitude Adjustment

Never liked the Big10. Not before, not now. People were shouting $$$$$$ but who cares when you become irrelevant. Not saying we are completely but obviously it's taken a hit and even more so when we're getting beat down by teams in a "weak conference"

Big10 markets it's academia.

SEC sells on its athletics.

What drives society? Athletics do. It's crazy, but true.

Do you honestly think Nebraska would be in a better position if they stayed in the Big 12? In what ways has the B1G hurt Nebraska?

We would probably still be getting screwed in the big 12. I'm glad we are in the big 10.

Never liked the Big10. Not before, not now. People were shouting $$$$$$ but who cares when you become irrelevant. Not saying we are completely but obviously it's taken a hit and even more so when we're getting beat down by teams in a "weak conference"

Do you honestly think Nebraska would be in a better position if they stayed in the Big 12? In what ways has the B1G hurt Nebraska?

Speaking of Big 12 - I'd like to see Nebraska schedule a Big 12 team every year in their non-conf schedule. Beat up on KSU, KS, OSU and play Okla regularly - must wait until 2020 for that. I think we are a better fit in the Big 10 versus the Big 12 wt the Texas schools. I would have liked to see the Big 10 grab Kansas (basketball) and Mo (for the rivralry in spite of their grandstanding trying to get into the big 10 - both of those schools would have been a good fit) instead of those 2 high schools from the east.

I don't have any specific answer. Other than the perception of the Big10 as a whole. I understand that the Big12 wouldn't be a whole lot better. But with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland, I just think it made the Big10 worse. Seriously what happens when Wisconsin and Iowa go back to being mediocre. How many people get excited about that West Division.

Kind of why I'm a proponent of playing only Power 5 teams.

Every once in a while I have to pull out an old post containing interviews from ADs and college presidents discussing how the Big XII was formed and why so many of the rules/policies were unfavorable toward Nebraska. It had everything to do with the fact that we were dominating for the decade prior to the Big XII's formation, Oklahoma had gone bust, and the little guys in the conference were afraid Nebraska would be the sole superpower. So they went out and hired a new bully (Texas) and sat mumchance while vote after vote went 11-1, with Nebraska being the sole objector.

People tend to forget about those days. They tend to wax nostalgic for teams that hated us, stabbed us in the back, and actively conspired against us. Why? I have no idea. There was no charm in the Big XII - it was and always will be about money. The Big 8 was destroyed by the bottom-feeders whom most people want to go back and play with again.

It's baffling. People simply don't know their history.

• Fire 5

Every once in a while I have to pull out an old post containing interviews from ADs and college presidents discussing how the Big XII was formed and why so many of the rules/policies were unfavorable toward Nebraska. It had everything to do with the fact that we were dominating for the decade prior to the Big XII's formation, Oklahoma had gone bust, and the little guys in the conference were afraid Nebraska would be the sole superpower. So they went out and hired a new bully (Texas) and sat mumchance while vote after vote went 11-1, with Nebraska being the sole objector.

People tend to forget about those days. They tend to wax nostalgic for teams that hated us, stabbed us in the back, and actively conspired against us. Why? I have no idea. There was no charm in the Big XII - it was and always will be about money. The Big 8 was destroyed by the bottom-feeders whom most people want to go back and play with again.

tumblr_inline_n0i7e5bqTt1rbumi6.gif

I was 8 years old in the big12's first year. I definitely knew nothing of this

Voting us out of the AAU.

Point taken. I still don't understand why some B1G schools let that happen.

Completely agree!!!!!

The big XII was formed definitely under questionable circumstances.

Voting us out of the AAU.

If you followed the voting for the AAU membership you will remember our old foe. Texas went out of their way to ensure we didn't stay in and that they could still vote for us. This was nearly entirely because of us giving UT the finger.

If I remember correctly there were a few B1G teams that voted us out but it was due to some technicality.

And membership in the B1G comes with their research dollars and gives any graduate of NU the chance to get a graduate degree at another B1G school.

• Fire 1

Athletics go in cycles. The south, specifically the SEC, have had a great run for the last several years. But I remember the 90s when NU, Miami (Big East), Florida State (ACC), Michigan, Penn State, and others were mentioned nearly every year as title favorites. Sure Florida and Tennessee won theirs but it wasn't a given.

Things will change, specifically I expect the 8 conference game season to be the SECs downfall. The B1G is gaining ground in bowl games against the SEC. In the near future I see a time when voters realize that the SEC isn't automatically the best and they have to start looking at resume. It may be that extra game against Maryland that Ohio State played that puts them over LSU who played the Citadel in week 10. Maybe I am wrong but human nature is to get complacent and that leads to failure.

• Fire 1

Last years O-Line was amazing...too bad the best of them didn't get to play all year.

Are you being sarcastic? Long was amazing. The rest of the OL...well that included a still-learning Cotton, an under performing ARod, and Pensick/Pelini switching out. QVale/Sirles were solid, but neither amazing.

I'd say our OL last year was pretty much average. Slightly above average with Long. Definitively not amazing.

So having two returning all conference limeman from the previous year, another that stays healthy during the year makes all conference, and having 8 quality guys to rotate in and out to start the year is just above average? 60% all conference caliber talent among the starting 5. Yeah, amazing.

Then, injuries happened and they still made holes for our RB's to be just better than average against winning teams. Seems good to me.

Last years O-Line was amazing...too bad the best of them didn't get to play all year.

Are you being sarcastic? Long was amazing. The rest of the OL...well that included a still-learning Cotton, an under performing ARod, and Pensick/Pelini switching out. QVale/Sirles were solid, but neither amazing.

I'd say our OL last year was pretty much average. Slightly above average with Long. Definitively not amazing.

So having two returning all conference limeman from the previous year, another that stays healthy during the year makes all conference, and having 8 quality guys to rotate in and out to start the year is just above average? 60% all conference caliber talent among the starting 5. Yeah, amazing.

Then, injuries happened and they still made holes for our RB's to be just better than average against winning teams. Seems good to me.

Oh, you were serious. The NFL disagrees with you. Amazing line? Check A&M last couple of years, of even Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.

Oh, you were serious. The NFL disagrees with you. Amazing line? Check A&M last couple of years, of even Michigan, Notre Dame, etc.

How many of our Stellar OL from the 90's were 1st round draft picks in the NFL?

• Fire 1

My letter to the Tulsa World after the World's sports editor, David Sittler and former Omaha writer, said NU was a baby for leaving:

To: 'letters@tulsaworld.com'

Cc: 'dave.sittler@tulsaworld.com'

Subject: Sittler's 8/14/11 "Big 12 may be doomed by bullies and babies"

Importance: High

Dear Editor,

I appreciate it if you would publish the below as a refutation of Dave Sittler’s article referenced above.

For over a year now, Dave Sittler has groundlessly accuse Nebraska of being cowards, babies, etc because Nebraska has had the good foresight to leave the Big 12 conference for the Big 10 Conference. But Sunday’s article was beyond

my tolerance for not responding. Sittler’s article is both childish and without support (as most of his articles are concerning Nebraska football.) As a member of the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club, I could not allow this poorly written article to go without a response. Sittler, as he has done all year, blamed the potential breakup of the Big 12 on Nebraska. He has often claimed that NU was leaving because we couldn’t beat Texas or because we lost 2 conf championship games in a row or in this case, we think of Texas as a bully. Nothing could be further from the truth and a good reporter would know better and not show his blatant biases so openly. It is obvious that Sittler has not done his homework by interviewing NU officials – he is probably reading only what Conf Chairman Bebe tells him. I noticed that last year, Sittler showed so much bitterness towards NU that he always predicted that NU would lose to their conference opponents in his weekly predictions. And I understand he is from Nebraska (or worked in Omaha) and even attended the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club a few times – years ago.

The conference had the seeds of its own breakup when it was formed – as warned by Tom Osborne. The Big 8 allowed a camel (Texas) into its tent and before long the camel would occupy the whole tent.

NU did not start the process of conference breakup. Before UN made a move to change conferences, 6 other Big 12 schools, including Tx and OU were threatening to move to the Pac 10. Missouri already voiced interest in the Big 10. Other schools were willing to jump (Texas flirted wt Big 10, Pac 10 and SEC) prior to NU making a move. Then Colorado did jump to the Pac 10 to start the ball rolling.

Fortunately for NU, the Big 10 saw NU as a very favorable addition to their conference. NU also saw that they would be in a conference of equals. A conference that gave them advantages academically as well as financially. NU saw the hand writing on the wall and was the only conference member that had the foresight to not tie their future to that of Texas. The move to the Big 10 was a great business decision and great academic decision by Nebraska. Nebraska fans are thrilled to be a part of the conference. We feel sorry for our Big 8 brothers who tied their future to Texas. Texas just cares for Texas. A&M has seen the light. I am thankful to Osborne and Chancellor Perlman for having the foresight to cut the cord from a conference dominated by Texas – the same Texas that broke up the old SW Conf (see Aug 1, 1990 below.)

I see the only baby in this situation, are those schools unwilling to let go of the sow’s (Texas) nipple and sports writers who cannot separate bias and fantasy from facts – see the list of historical facts below.

• Fire 3