ESPN's "experts" pick conference winners, the final four and the national champion

Mostly safe picks. Why wouldn't you? You'd sound crazy -- or biased -- to pick anyone else.

But you know an even safer bet?

A team that's not on anyone's list will crash the party. Because it happens every year.

Maybe even two teams. Or three.

And a team left out of these inagural playoffs will have everyone screaming conspiracy.

Bank on it.

When the SEC only gets in 1 and not 2 or even 3 in, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions among all national media, and ESPN will be in total damage control and spin mode.

Yeah, I know this is the politically correct conspiracy theory, but it doesn't really play out that way. The national sports media -- including ESPN -- loves a good story. Underdogs make the best story. The SEC isn't the underdog. Non alums watch Alabama games hoping Alabama gets taken down. The cameras love watching Nick Saban boil. ESPN wins either way. No damage control needed.

The SEC has had a pretty good run. That's a legitimate story. But the same national media -- including ESPN -- has offered plenty of commentaries on the possibility of the SEC being over-rated, and the undesirability of recent SEC bowl rematches.

If you actually follow the national media, the popular theory right now has the Pac 12 as the toughest conference in the nation.

Baylor as National Champs? That would be a sure sign that the end is nigh.

It is pretty incredible. For years and years they got blasted almost every Saturday, similar to the teams during the Dan Hawkins era at Colorado. It's nice to see them get a little payback on their conference rivals. I think it would be an interesting fit for this inaugural playoff campaign. Win out the regular season, escape the big 12 championship with a win, get through a matchup against Oregon or Pac12 team, and face FSU.

Plus it would be great if some of those real good Texas HS recruits passed over UT, OU, and A&M for the Bears. Even better if meant the Longhorn Network showcased UT for the next five years with the success rate of Arkansas.

I'm going to drink the Green and Gold Koolaid this year - breaking in their new stadium as the returning champs, and wishing them luck.

Baylor as National Champs? That would be a sure sign that the end is nigh.

It is pretty incredible. For years and years they got blasted almost every Saturday, similar to the teams during the Dan Hawkins era at Colorado. It's nice to see them get a little payback on their conference rivals. I think it would be an interesting fit for this inaugural playoff campaign. Win out the regular season, escape the big 12 championship with a win, get through a matchup against Oregon or Pac12 team, and face FSU.

Plus it would be great if some of those real good Texas HS recruits passed over UT, OU, and A&M for the Bears. Even better if meant the Longhorn Network showcased UT for the next five years with the success rate of Arkansas.

I'm going to drink the Green and Gold Koolaid this year - breaking in their new stadium as the returning champs, and wishing them luck.

I'm pretty sure there is no Big 12 championship game...fyi

• Fire 1

Mostly safe picks. Why wouldn't you? You'd sound crazy -- or biased -- to pick anyone else.

A team that's not on anyone's list will crash the party. Because it happens every year.

And a team left out of these inagural playoffs will have everyone screaming conspiracy.

Bank on it.

When the SEC only gets in 1 and not 2 or even 3 in, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions among all national media, and ESPN will be in total damage control and spin mode.

Yeah, I know this is the politically correct conspiracy theory, but it doesn't really play out that way. The national sports media -- including ESPN -- loves a good story. Underdogs make the best story. The SEC isn't the underdog. Non alums watch Alabama games hoping Alabama gets taken down. The cameras love watching Nick Saban boil. ESPN wins either way. No damage control needed.

The SEC has had a pretty good run. That's a legitimate story. But the same national media -- including ESPN -- has offered plenty of commentaries on the possibility of the SEC being over-rated, and the undesirability of recent SEC bowl rematches.

If you actually follow the national media, the popular theory right now has the Pac 12 as the toughest conference in the nation.

On today's ESPN CFB podcast, they were debating that, and pretty much squashed it. They spent about 25% of the Big Ten preview podcast actually taking about the Big Ten. Around 50% was on the SEC (which was also covered in entirety the next day), and the remaining 25% on national stuff.

Most everyone outside SEC country thinks they get more love. When you have guys say things like "2nd string SEC teams could run through the B1G unscathed" and they don't get browbeat for being stupid... yeah. And it's even worse if you live in that footprint. It's an extension of the Civil War and even some hints of Uncle Tom.

I don't think Ed Cunningham understands how a playoff system works.

You over qualified what Ed doesn't understand. There is so much more that he doesn't understand.

If I could get 3 things in cfb....

1. Bo chilling and being more Tom like (smart, committed, somewhat more under control)

2. NCAA hammering over 50 percent of the cheaters (Miami Ole Miss Auburn NoCar etc)

3. Ed C idiot he is, NEVER again EVER calling an NU game

I'd be good (enough) with the CFB world ( I ignored the cheating Texass ref's since they'll have none or near no influence over us again ever).

Bank on it.

Odds are better that the SEC gets zero teams in than two. There is a very strong possibility that they have a 2 or 3 loss champ. If the other four power conferences have undefeated or 1 loss teams, too bad, for the SEC.