Why didn't we see more of Cross?

Dagerow

After seeing Newby's ability Saturday, and I know, we havent seen Taylor yet, I'm thinking Newby will be a lot more of a spotlight back like Ameer and Taylor more of a situational type of guy like Cross currently is. Newby just seems to fit what we do like a glove. And his improvement and ability to run like you need to run in the college game has been impressive.

I agree 100% what you are saying. The only thing that might cause the coaches to go with a "We-backs" approach is the absence of Ameer. Ameer does everything well, so it is tough to get him out of the line-up. If Newby/Cross/Taylor all have some limitations in their game, then we could see a lot of split carries/playing time, depending on the opponent and game plan.

Not that I would agree with it, but it could look like Callahan's use of Lucky, Brandon Jackson, and Cody Glenn in 2006. Nobody knew who was going to be the feature back from game to game.

IIRC, the only reason Brandon Jackson eventually took control of the top spot was due to him being the best consistent pass blocker. We don't know much about Newby's ability to pass block. Cross has done a good job both pass blocking and lead blocking qb draws. This could have just as much impact as running ability.

I thought this also, but then you always go with who has the hot hand right?

Obviously Ameer had two hot hands, but needless to keep him out there.

Newby just had the hot hand, plain and simple. No reason to speculate beyond what we know. Newby was just the hot hand, and he never asked to come out. Why would he? I'd want playing time too, especially if I am making plays.

As far as some of his "skillsets" one of the things I saw was his lack of pass pro. It's not terrible, but you can definitely tell that Abdullah works on his pass pro. More of a compliment to Abdullah than anything.

I like both Newby and Cross. I always thought Cross would be an excellent back if he were a primary back. As I am excited about post-Abdullah years with Newby. I am unsure why we're using this to knock any one of these RB's. They will both contribute to our offense this year, Cross has already contributed to our offense and has almost already proven himself. Excited to have both those guys.

I like the work ethic of Cross. He is a team player, and in my opinion, an important piece of our running back corps. I am sick of highly touted RBs leaving our program, and I surely hope that we keep Cross busy enough to prevent another defection. I hope Cross gets between 5-10 carries a game and continues to be our short yardage guy.

Yes we remember that for a boneheaded play calling by Tim Beck. You shouldn't call that type of play backed up to the goal line...the defensive line got penetration and that's because we tried to spread it out. DUMB play call...not a dumb run by Cross...the deck was stacked against him by Beck.

You'll never convince anyone that Imani (notice I spelled his name right) is anything less than a complete back. Given the chance, I think he'd easily be a 1,000 yard rusher on a season and I think he'd be more than capable of taking outside runs.

You must think Nebraska coaches are complete morons if you think he's a 'run forward with no lateral cuts' back.

Really?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9773486

Looks like to me he was one missed block away from it going for a big gain. But he should have known where he was at on the field and just cut upfield for a minimal gain. He instead tried to bounce it outside and got hit into the endzone.

Congrats, you plucked a single play from 60-90 snaps a game X 13 games. I could do the same for Ameer or any other back in the nation. You prove nothing with this.

That single play was the play you guys were talking about. You said it was a terrible call, yet if Cethan makes that block it goes for a nice gain, and if Cross didn't try bouncing it outside, it wouldn't have been a safety.

Watching the Miami game, they continued to talk about the Louisville RB, Dominique Brown, and how his 240 lbs was wearing out Miami (Cross listed 230). Obviously, none of us have seen Cross in a full game. I do not know how he would do with 20-25 touches per game, but I do know he is a big fella who could help physically punish the D in the later parts of the game. I wonder if he will get more carries as the season progresses to help "lean" on the D and wear them down.

IIRC, we used 11 guys on the OL Sat. Possibly our deepest yet. Cross and his size might become very valuable down the stretch to help the fresh OL continue to pound the D without wearing out/down AA.

Watching the Miami game, they continued to talk about the Louisville RB, Dominique Brown, and how his 240 lbs was wearing out Miami (Cross listed 230). Obviously, none of us have seen Cross in a full game. I do not know how he would do with 20-25 touches per game, but I do know he is a big fella who could help physically punish the D in the later parts of the game. I wonder if he will get more carries as the season progresses to help "lean" on the D and wear them down.

IIRC, we used 11 guys on the OL Sat. Possibly our deepest yet. Cross and his size might become very valuable down the stretch to help the fresh OL continue to pound the D without wearing out/down AA.

Nothing to add...nothing to add at all...

Yes we remember that for a boneheaded play calling by Tim Beck. You shouldn't call that type of play backed up to the goal line...the defensive line got penetration and that's because we tried to spread it out. DUMB play call...not a dumb run by Cross...the deck was stacked against him by Beck.

You'll never convince anyone that Imani (notice I spelled his name right) is anything less than a complete back. Given the chance, I think he'd easily be a 1,000 yard rusher on a season and I think he'd be more than capable of taking outside runs.

You must think Nebraska coaches are complete morons if you think he's a 'run forward with no lateral cuts' back.

Really?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9773486

Looks like to me he was one missed block away from it going for a big gain. But he should have known where he was at on the field and just cut upfield for a minimal gain. He instead tried to bounce it outside and got hit into the endzone.

Congrats, you plucked a single play from 60-90 snaps a game X 13 games. I could do the same for Ameer or any other back in the nation. You prove nothing with this.

That single play was the play you guys were talking about. You said it was a terrible call, yet if Cethan makes that block it goes for a nice gain, and if Cross didn't try bouncing it outside, it wouldn't have been a safety.

So I see...since someone missed their block it means Imani can't run outside. Good to know.

This isn't about if he can or can't run outside. You said it was a terrible call, and I was just stating one person missing their block prevented it from being a positive play. Cross just made it worse by doing too much. But whatever, I'm done with this. Sorry to get you all riled up, Imani.

I think the lack of evidence is fairly decent evidence in and of itself. He's into his third year of playing. If they haven't used him in certain situations, the most likely explanation is they'd rather use other backs in those situations.

I really like Cross as a player. I'm glad he's on our team. But he can't do everything the other backs can. He can also do some things they can't. I have no problem with different players having different roles. I don't think this should be so controversial.

Totally...I mean, we can tell by what the coaches do EXACTLY what they're thinking.

Yep. That's exactly what I said. Good work.

He's played in every game since he's been here. He now has 143 carries. Why do you think he hasn't run to the outside yet?

He doesn't need to.... Cross SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't about if he can or can't run outside. You said it was a terrible call, and I was just stating one person missing their block prevented it from being a positive play. Cross just made it worse by doing too much. But whatever, I'm done with this. Sorry to get you all riled up, Imani.

It was a terrible call. When your back is against the goal line...you pound it forward to get some operating room or you quickslant/pop pass. You have to create space to work with.

It's a horrible call. What you posted doesn't change that.

Hmm.... sounds familiar.

EdCunninghamESPN.jpg

• Fire 1