This is why you never, ever, ever let up

knapplc

Not when it is ludicrous. That FAU player was so far off base all we can do is laugh, and you are so far off base for taking him seriously that all I can do is laugh at what you're posting.

i think that fau player truly believes that. and that is ok. athletes are really good at lying to themselves. it is a competitive advantage.

i think no matter what we do, teams are going to come in here and expect to beat us. but i think knapp is right that we have to play every qtr. of every game with a killer instinct because you have to be prepared to be punched in the mouth by fau. you can't just assume we will recover.

I think everyone but Knapp is missing Knapps point. No one is scared of NU anymore. No one cares we are on the their schedule. No doubt in my mind, FAU came in here thinking they could win. Now doing it is something different, but they believed they could.

I'm not missing the point. I'm disagreeing with the point. Who cares if a team is afraid of NU or if they're convinced they can beat NU? It's possible to win in either case. NU just needs to focus on NU. Winning trumps talk, attitude, etc.

And NU's attitude of the past few seasons has cost games.

Knapp, I didn't read through the responses, and maybe someone touched on this. But coming from me, and understanding the seasons I've endured as an assistant coach. Almost every game we've been an underdog, at least in the last 3-4 years. Do we tell our kids that? No. You can't. You go in thinking you are and underdog and are suppose to lose, then you'll never pull the upset AKA App St vs Mich 2007 esque. Also, Is that kid from FAU really gunna say "Yes, we definitely knew we were underdogs.". Are the coaches going to say "Well we're just going to collect our paycheck and get our arse's stomped" No. They gotta sell that they have a good gameplan and that if they execute it, they'll win.

I get the point but, to me, I don't care what the other team thinks. Be yourself, execute and win. Who cares what outside forces think. The perception is what it is right now, and Bo and company are making the changes necessary to change that. Clearly. Unless we haven't been following the off season and or don't believe what we're being told.

Keep winning, and the rest takes care of it self.

I agree with this. I'd also like to add a few points of my own.

The physicality and aggression of the game no longer exists like it once did. This game has been softened and slowly the physicality has been taken away in many aspects. This game is now built for high flying offenses. There's a reason every record is dropping to current players.

Also, the talent level is up at every school acrossed the country. Just look at an NFL roster and where they went to college. It's all across the board. These kids aren't afraid of each other anymore. The smaller programs are catching up. Strength and nutrition is a science known by all now. I think that combination of higher level of talent disbursed throughout the country, and the fact that you can't rip a guys head off and sh#t down his neck have taken some of that intimidation factor out of the game.

I think everyone but Knapp is missing Knapps point. No one is scared of NU anymore. No one cares we are on the their schedule. No doubt in my mind, FAU came in here thinking they could win. Now doing it is something different, but they believed they could.

NU has laid some eggs against foes who we should have kicked the sh!t out of under Bo and didn't. The past performance has hurt us, just like the glory days helped. Many times teams were defeated before they even show dup from the beating they got the year before.

NU has lost that killer edge under Bo. We need to get up on a team and continue that attack until the final whistle. Make kids feel so bad about themselves they quit. We need to beat teams down. Continue to wear them out and send a message. You come into Lincoln, win, lose or draw we are going to kick your a$$. Same thing when we travel. The other team will know they were in a street brawl.

Think Wisky felt that way in 2012? Did they even break a sweat? Our first meeting with Michigan? Hell SDSU? I think no. We need to get that pit bull mentality back.

Break the will of the opposing teams to even come out of the locker room.

As far as the comments about punching us in the mouth. Calling Corey Raymond. I think he commented on us "getting punched in the mouth" after the SC game. How many times has it looked like we laid down? The hail mary against SC, AA fumble in 2012, INT Michigan etc. In the past, kicks to the nuts crippled this team. That was his comment and what even a casual observer let alone one who studies game film would come too. NU quits when punched hard. Will they this year? I hope not.

Were the guys comments off base? No. NU has lost respect and needs to get it back.

Good stuff Knapp

I didn't miss the point...not sure how to multiquote, so am cutting and pasting my earlier post here:

"Carl von Clausewitz total war concept. No mercy, no non-combatants, no quarter. Not domination, rather annihilation. Play in a manner that ISIS would cower. "

Now obviously, with rule changes over the years, this is a bit over the top with respect to what is allowed on the field of play, but the intent is the same. Play every down of every game with as much aggression and violent passion as is allowed. Sooner or later, teams will indeed rue having Nebraska on the schedule. But that still won't keep fools from running at the mouth. And fool might be a bit strong...what player isn't going to say "we're not afraid"? The point is, our Huskers have not played this way for years, so the opposition, right in some cases, wrong in others, have become overly confident. Play according to Clausewitz and that will change.

NU has laid some eggs against foes who we should have kicked the sh!t out of under Bo and didn't. The past performance has hurt us, just like the glory days helped. Many times teams were defeated before they even show dup from the beating they got the year before.

NU has lost that killer edge under Bo. We need to get up on a team and continue that attack until the final whistle. Make kids feel so bad about themselves they quit. We need to beat teams down. Continue to wear them out and send a message. You come into Lincoln, win, lose or draw we are going to kick your a$$. Same thing when we travel. The other team will know they were in a street brawl.

Think Wisky felt that way in 2012? Did they even break a sweat? Our first meeting with Michigan? Hell SDSU? I think no. We need to get that pit bull mentality back.

Break the will of the opposing teams to even come out of the locker room.

As far as the comments about punching us in the mouth. Calling Corey Raymond. I think he commented on us "getting punched in the mouth" after the SC game. How many times has it looked like we laid down? The hail mary against SC, AA fumble in 2012, INT Michigan etc. In the past, kicks to the nuts crippled this team. That was his comment and what even a casual observer let alone one who studies game film would come too. NU quits when punched hard. Will they this year? I hope not.

Were the guys comments off base? No. NU has lost respect and needs to get it back.

Good stuff Knapp

I didn't miss the point...not sure how to multiquote, so am cutting and pasting my earlier post here:

"Carl von Clausewitz total war concept. No mercy, no non-combatants, no quarter. Not domination, rather annihilation. Play in a manner that ISIS would cower. "

Now obviously, with rule changes over the years, this is a bit over the top with respect to what is allowed on the field of play, but the intent is the same. Play every down of every game with as much aggression and violent passion as is allowed. Sooner or later, teams will indeed rue having Nebraska on the schedule. But that still won't keep fools from running at the mouth. And fool might be a bit strong...what player isn't going to say "we're not afraid"? The point is, our Huskers have not played this way for years, so the opposition, right in some cases, wrong in others, have become overly confident. Play according to Clausewitz and that will change.

That's what I a talking about. I don't think Knapp was talking to folks talking trash, that's part of the game, but the fact NU isn't feared anymore. We are no longer known as a team that imposes its will and beats a team up. A team that goes to the whistle and a half step more every snap, every down, every game. Comments from former players alluded to this. TA's comments about guys letting things snowball alluded to this. You out physical and win those 1-1 battles (AA's quote after FAU about losing some) and teams, regardless of their crap talking will not look forward to playing NU. Right now, IMO, teams do not look at NU as a physical, head knocking team. They see us as "beatable".

Hell in a Helmet. This years OL theme shows me they recognize the need to make teams fear us. Forget the player on our OL who said they want to go a step or two past the whistle and let teams know they are in for an a$$ kicking at our house or their's. Folks are kidding themselves to think a head hunting safety (regardless of rules) doesn't incite a negative reaction from the O that helps the D. See Larry Assante, Richard Sherman. or our own Suh. His rep sealed McKoys fate before a snap was even taken in that game. People were and are flat scared of SUH. Intimidation works.

• Fire 1

I'm not missing the point. I'm disagreeing with the point. Who cares if a team is afraid of NU or if they're convinced they can beat NU? It's possible to win in either case. NU just needs to focus on NU. Winning trumps talk, attitude, etc.

And NU's attitude of the past few seasons has cost games.

I'm talking about the attitude of the other team. Like I said, NU just needs to focus on NU. Influencing the attitude of the other team is beyond NU's ability to control.

• Fire 1

Best FBS/BCS team McNeese ever played was the first one we played when we played the U. of Miami back in 2000 with all of those studs that ended up being NFL first rounders. Santana Moss killed us that day. They drubbed us pretty good but we got our licks in and banged them up pretty well. LB Dan Morgan had to sit out the next game because of a concussion. They ended up going to the U. of Wash. the next week and lost there and that loss probably cost them a National Championship shot that year.

Since then we have been drubbed by FBS teams, scared the crap out of a few FBS teams, and beat a few, but we haven't been scared of any of them. We may get drubbed Saturday but I know the McNeese players aren't coming into the game scared.

Doc

Lo Country is the only one who is getting what I'm saying here. It has less to do with the other team and far more to do with the mindset of Nebraska. With the 85 scholarship limit everyone knows there's talent everywhere. Nobody is truly "scared" of anyone.

"Never Letting Up" is somewhat different from not being intimidating in the first place. Possibly outside of Wyoming last year, I don't recall many situations where a clearly superior Nebraska had an opponent down but failed to put their foot on the neck. I think the mindset of Nebraska is definetely where the problem lies, but I don't see much debate that we've lacked enthusiasm on the sideline, much less a killer instinct. Worse, I think some teams look at Nebraska as a wounded warrior; easier to beat but it still means something because we're still Nebraska.

You earn it on the field. But then, you always earn it on the field. Every game. Every year.

I'm usually a zero malice guy re recently destroyed opponents. Actually usually the opposite. But since D'Joun has irritated me sufficiently with his idiotic bravado, I have bet against his team (as I did last week chuckleshuffle ) ) at +40 v Bama. I feel pretty good about that (near lock), given his incorrect attitude and ALSO considering Nick is not happy with last week's performance. Bama doesnt usually roast inferiors like say Oregon does but this week, I like my chances.

Lo Country is the only one who is getting what I'm saying here. It has less to do with the other team and far more to do with the mindset of Nebraska. With the 85 scholarship limit everyone knows there's talent everywhere. Nobody is truly "scared" of anyone.

"Never Letting Up" is somewhat different from not being intimidating in the first place. Possibly outside of Wyoming last year, I don't recall many situations where a clearly superior Nebraska had an opponent down but failed to put their foot on the neck. I think the mindset of Nebraska is definetely where the problem lies, but I don't see much debate that we've lacked enthusiasm on the sideline, much less a killer instinct. Worse, I think some teams look at Nebraska as a wounded warrior; easier to beat but it still means something because we're still Nebraska.

You earn it on the field. But then, you always earn it on the field. Every game. Every year.

UCLA last year, if you think we were superior.

Minnesota last year? Up 10-0.