*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Sean Callahan expecting Cole Conrad and Luke McNitt to get scholarships which would be part of the difference between the 22 recruits Riley has mentioned and the 25 we could sign.

I forget, so pardon the need for education.

I know these two would count towards our 85. But, do they also count towards our 25 for this year?

No

Gratituous re-post to keep it on the last page. But at least I got to add Bradley. :thumbs

15 commits on our way to 22 (so they say). Going to be interesting because it seems like we're looking for more guys than we have spots. I think we're looking for 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 OT, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 CB and 1 S. But that's 10 guys with 7-8 spots available. And that doesn't leave much space for the guys we have to wait until NSD for.

Priority:
DB - Our roster isn't in bad shape but we don't have any commits there yet. Still.
DE - Really need a game-change. Don't see where that will come from.
WR - Seem likely to land Calvin. Will be interesting after that.
OT - We might end up with the two we have unless there's a late in-state offer.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA
RB - 1 - JAYLIN BRADLEY
FB - 1 - BEN MILES
WR - 4-5 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Joseph Lewis, Gavin Holmes, Lynn Bowden
TE - 2 - AUSTIN ALLEN, Kurt Rafdal, Nick Robinson
OT - 2-3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, Foster Sarell, Chuck Filiaga
OG/C - 1 - BROC BANDO

DT - 2-3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, DEIONTAE WATTS, Damion Daniels
DE - 2 - GUY THOMAS
LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, ANDREW WARD, Isaac Slade-Matautia
CB - 2 - TraJon Cotton, Deommodore Lenoir, Greg Johnson
S - 1 - Kamren Curl

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1

So, I saw in another thread where you said we have 63 scholarships on campus. We are giving 2 to walkons. That brings us to 65. I agree that I think we will have 2-3 guys not return next year and that brings us back down to 62-63. So, if those guys don't return, we can still sign 22-23 plus 3 over signs to make it a class of 25-26.

We are at 14. So, that gives us room to take 11-12 more.

Is all my math correct?

So, I saw in another thread where you said we have 63 scholarships on campus. We are giving 2 to walkons. That brings us to 65. I agree that I think we will have 2-3 guys not return next year and that brings us back down to 62-63. So, if those guys don't return, we can still sign 22-23 plus 3 over signs to make it a class of 25-26.

We are at 14. So, that gives us room to take 11-12 more.

Is all my math correct?

It kind of depends on when some of those things happen. If they guys who are leaving don't leave until after the spring semester, they still count for now. But we could also wait until the summer/fall to give the walk-ons the scholarships.

We should know a little more next week - if anyone isn't enrolled when the semester starts. It wouldn't appear that there will be any semester transfers as it would seem like we would have heard about them by now but perhaps not until next week.

The trick is I don't know why Riley keeps throwing out the 22 number. That would be 8 more guys. I would expect us to take 22-24 commits unless we find out there is more room between now and NSD.

My guess is we get:

Felix, Bradley

Calvin, Lewis

Rafdal

Daniels

Johnson, Lenoir or Holmes

That gives us 8 and then we fill in with possible guys not on this list yet.

These 5 seem the "likely" pick-ups based on 247's Crystal Balls. When you add those 5 into 247's class calculator, you get a score of 217. Based on last year's 2016 final rankings, that puts us at #27. Just above Oregon.

Add 3 or 4 late offers to 2* or 3* guys and we would move up to maybe #25? Same as last year. Add Greg Johnson and Foster Sarell and that number jumps to 240 (good for #17)

That's a big swing.

*edit - based on Crystal Balls I shouldn't have included Lewis. With those 4 "likely" that's a score of 202, or #36. Realistically we are looking at #15-#35 with #25 most likely. Kind of a rolling the dice year IMO.

Quick summary. Schaefer believes we have a better shot at Johnson than Lewis. Feels like Lewis is leaning towards USC. Watched the Rose Bowl with Carr and other SC commits. Has no idea about Holmes. Seemed hesitant that we are in it with no official and his parents not coming to Lincoln or meeting Coach Riley. Said that having the papers in at Nebraska does make it interesting because most athletes don't do that unless serious. Thinks Sarell goes to Stanford. Says Stanford is just tough to beat in recruiting and feels like Nebraska did everything they could. Talked about Lenoir possibly going to USC as well opening up the door for Johnson to Nebraska. He likes Johnson more as a prospect because he could play some offense but thinks Lenoir is better on D. Doesn't say much about the OT from Texas other than we won't get him. I think he thinks Calvin is N but just because he commits isn't the end with him.

• Fire 2

Calvin = best bet at AAA game but still will shop around.

Lewis = Didn't catch any comment on him.

Holmes = Things have changed slightly to put us in a better situation. Likes that he has visited multiple times. Picks him to be N. Williams hire is big here.

Greg Johnson = Doesn't expect him to be N.

Would put money on 2 commits

Line recruiting. Already has good linemen in the class.

Filiaga and Sarrell= Did a great job to get a visit from Filiaga. It's also big for other recruits to see N on the table of these two even if we don't get them.

Bradley = Really impressed with the film...."blown away". Offer could happen at any time. Ends up at Nebraska

TE = Rafdal is interesting and a true Big 10 type TE. Robinson isn't quite as athletic as Rafdal but still possibly very good.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***