Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

You nailed it, Polo, and it astonishes me that many of our fans seem okay with days like today (and all the other meltdowns and near-meltdowns).

Really? Where are you seeing that?

Everywhere on this board. "We'll be okay!" "It's only the second game of the season!" and all that bullsh#t.

I don't see that as people being OK with what happened today, or any of the other replicas of today in the past six seasons. I see that as people just wanting to be fans and positive about the team.

No Nebraska fan should not be furious after today.

As a fan, being furious isn't going to accomplish anything.

• Fire 2

You nailed it, Polo, and it astonishes me that many of our fans seem okay with days like today (and all the other meltdowns and near-meltdowns).

Everywhere on this board. "We'll be okay!" "It's only the second game of the season!" and all that bullsh#t.

I don't see that as people being OK with what happened today, or any of the other replicas of today in the past six seasons. I see that as people just wanting to be fans and positive about the team.

Thank you. The "We're fine and everything is hunky dorey" strawman needs to die in a fire.

I don't think *anyone* is okay with today. The most optimistic fans--myself included--are hoping today was a brain fart. Surely we won't suck this bad again.

See, I think the decision to replace Bo is partly tied to who you could get to replace him. My guess, is he (and certain boosters) didn't want to take the gamble.

I dunno...

honestly, i agree. i think that is a good point. i even said that it would be hard to get rid of bo after last year given the cost/reward. but i was hoping to see some changes. now, as then, i just think it is worth the risk as there is enough evidence to take the risk (even though i get why they did not then). 9 wins is not terribly hard to get given our schedule. and it is harder to argue against having seen bo's ceiling.

Sorry, but there's a hell of a lot more to life than a game played by teenagers.

Am I unhappy with how the team played? Absolutely.

Don't let that dictate your mood.

• Fire 4

Agreed. But we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'm beyond frustrated with these games, year in and year out. I cannot adequately express the level of unhappiness I have with the state of the program. I've posted several rambling, semi-coherent threads about this recently.

But at the same time, I love me some Ameer Abdullah, and I'll celebrate that he's on this team. Same for Tommy Armstrong, and I'll celebrate that he's on this team (although he needs to get that passing game in order). Same with Westerkamp, Gregory, and about two dozen other guys.

The fact that I'll speak positively about some things does not mean I'm happy about everything. I just have a naturally bubbly and happy personality. :D

• Fire 2

Beck needs to go. That's been clear for a while, and is more clear than ever now. I personally don't give a sh#t if it's tomorrow or at the end of the season, but he needs to pack his sh#t and head on out. Any offensive coordinator whose claim to fame is losing his mind and going full retard when the original offensive plan doesn't work is outright worthless in his position.

this seems obvious. but we had these same problems with watson. how many oc's will we go through before we address the one constant?

I agree, but I'm fine with Bo if he can start making those hard changes that need to be made. Like canning one or both of the coordinators and bringing in outside, experienced guys. At the very least, I'd like to see what would happen if we started moving in that direction. Unfortunately, I've been saying that for a while and Pelini isn't showing any sign of taking those steps.

I actually think we'll play better for the rest of the season. I still think it'll be a decent one. But I think some steps need to be taken to move the program forward, starting with Beck leaving. If Bo is unwilling to do that, then it might be time to start shopping for someone to replace him.

its a proven fact, 9-4 will keep him here and he can repeat as often as he likes, with the same staff of flunkies!

The fact is, shawn screwed the pooch on Black Friday last year. I know the reaction by some is "fire bo" but I don't even know who I would want as a replacement.

There is one and only one I would want. However, traditionalists would commit suicide because of the change that would take place.

Chip Kelly. (I know, it's never happening.)

Edit: Also I'm not in the "fire bo" camp yet anyway.

The fact is, shawn screwed the pooch on Black Friday last year. I know the reaction by some is "fire bo" but I don't even know who I would want as a replacement.

There is one and only one I would want. However, traditionalists would commit suicide because of the change that would take place.

Chip Kelly. (I know, it's never happening.)

His little weird ears aren't human.

• Fire 2

See, I think the decision to replace Bo is partly tied to who you could get to replace him. My guess, is he (and certain boosters) didn't want to take the gamble.

I dunno...

My guess is that there are a couple of big guns in the university who were quite adamantly in Bo's corner. At least that's the way it sounded when it went down last year.

And our course of action seems OK, barring some fresh ridiculous off-field embarrassment. While I supported a coaching change last year, the fact was the fan base as a whole was quite split. Welcoming a new coach when half the fans are sour over firing an 8/9-win guy, that's not a good environment. And we do have all the resources and team makeup to do pretty well in the next couple of years.

So I'm on board with what we're doing. The AD has made it very, very, very clear that we're giving the football program all it could possibly need in the way of support, backing, recruiting resources. Bo will do 1) win games, 2) recruit well, and 3) represent the university well, and I believe those are the explicit standards laid out by Eichorst before the start of the season. Now if he fails on any of those counts, there will be far fewer excuses and far less tumult.

But, don't count Bo out. He's a capable coach with a strong team and an easy schedule. He's got it all laid out for him and if he does go and win us 11 games this season, all the better for everyone.

• Fire 2

Agreed. But we can walk and chew gum at the same time.I'm beyond frustrated with these games, year in and year out. I cannot adequately express the level of unhappiness I have with the state of the program. I've posted several rambling, semi-coherent threads about this recently.But at the same time, I love me some Ameer Abdullah, and I'll celebrate that he's on this team. Same for Tommy Armstrong, and I'll celebrate that he's on this team (although he needs to get that passing game in order). Same with Westerkamp, Gregory, and about two dozen other guys.The fact that I'll speak positively about some things does not mean I'm happy about everything. I just have a naturally bubbly and happy personality. :D

It's a wholly normal, healthy even, thing to discuss the problems with the team as well as the positives.

Ameer is great, he likely will remain great. Not much debate there.

Our coaching prospects however, are not great, and there is much the debate about it. Because we learned with Callahan that great players can't be winners on their own.