Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

If Bo is canned, who's gonna come here? Urban rejeced us in 2004. Jim Grobe in 2008, though i've heard he never got offered the job. Do you have a realistic list of coaches that want to come here and can be successful?

)

No, but I heard that Saban has a soft spot in his heart for TO.

Realistically, we got the best that would have and still would consider the job.

If Bo is canned, who's gonna come here? Urban rejeced us in 2004. Jim Grobe in 2008, though i've heard he never got offered the job. Do you have a realistic list of coaches that want to come here and can be successful?

)

Realistically, we got the best that would have and still would consider the job.

Napoleon, like there's any way you can know that.

)

Napoleon, like there's any way you can know that.

Kip?

• Fire 1

Well, we have at least 10 more games. If we are as sh**ty as you guys all think. We will end up 5-7 and can Bo Pelini.

On the other hand, today could have been a bad day where we didn't know what to expect from a team who hadn't played and turn out a good season.

Either way, let's wait until the end of the year to make these assessments. Fresno State is another chance to rectify the wrong.

)

I see parts of our fan base is still suffering from what amounts to battered wife syndrome. "Who would want to come here? We have the best we can ever have" The only thing we don't have is a big recruiting base locally. Bu everything else any coach would want is here. People need to change the mindset from pouting that this is as good as it gets, to getting back to we deserve and expect the best. Any anyone thinking this is the best is going to fail a drug test.
  • Fire 1

we have pretty good resources and a pretty weak schedule.

There are many universities other than Nebraska who the same holds true for......and they haven't even won 9 games consistently.....which is how we got on a list with Oregon and 'Bama.

I think that it's safe to say that Nebraska won't be mentioned in the same breath as Oregon and Alabama except by a small group of Nebraska fans who desperately want to believe that we're still relevant.

Hey, I'm with ya man, no judgement on my part. We are all just along for the ride. We hate on anyone who takes a definitive stance on one side or the other. Our stance means sh#t. Literally. A square turd in a round bowl.

Bo will do what he does. Nebraska will be what they are. It's established at this point.

Did we ever think we'd have a coaching staff so willing to throw its own players under the bus though? This has been a running theme for some time now. At least three years that I'm aware of? I have a hard time with that.

Yea man.....that's starting to drive me nuts. I just like drinking beer and cheering / screaming at the TV (or team if I'm there) and don't have the ability for extra stress outside my day to day to worry about coaching changes.....but good grief, take some responsibility. Bo, of all coaches (and as much as he says he's a players coach), I thought would never be one to toss the players under the buss. He, Paup and Beck have done this a lot the last several years when under duress. It's maddening. I, like lots of folks, am responsible for a very large number of people in a very large organization and when someone makes an honest mistake, I take the fall 100% of the time I see no reason our coaches shouldn't be doing the same. To add some context: A missed opportunity to make a play is an example of an honest mistake. Stealing bikes is not.

• Fire 1

By which I meant the arguments between fans, not the original post.

i thought the original post was going to be another one of polo's famous diatribe against runza.

I was threatened with a ban when I took down Valentino's, Runza and Amigos for the tripe that they are.

Never been a fan of any of those establishments, hate Runzas the most.

Blasphemy!!!! I'll take down a crispy meat (or bean or chicken) burrito every time I see an Amigos!!! Good thing I don't live close to one. (and I'm old BTW).

Contrary to popular belief, I actually like and respect polo, sd and Carlfense. I'd like to crush brews with y'all.

But there is some suckage in the original post.

This game raises some serious concerns, but I think that we can't throw in the towels just yet.

I agree with ya here, little early to bring out the pitchforks again. I think we were looking forward to games, bit over confident in the previous week's performance and some senseless play calling. But the fact of the matter is we still won the game and yeah maybe we slide out of the top 25, but what does that matter if we are still winning games? I think we should just let it play out, I think this team still has the ability to be special and maybe a close call to McNeese is what we needed to stay focused on the task at hand.

While I agree with largely everything you stated in the original post, I think it's too early to have this discussion. After last week I was tempering expectations from all the kool-aid drinkers around me that is was one game. I'm going to advocate that same position here; however with one caveat, this falls in the same pattern we've seen under Bo Pelini: extreme highs followed by flat play/epic lows.

We are two games into a season, so this could be the writing on the wall game or the scare we need to take the weaker Big 10 by storm. There is enough talent on the roster to compete with anyone on the schedule. Conversely, there's enough historical inconsistencies that it's easy to feel like we are looking down the barrel of a painful season. So before we go full retard on the defend Bo or Fire Bo soap boxes, I'd advocate the wait and see approach. I mean, as painful/upset I was the majority of yesterday. Ameer's TD at the end gave me reason to scream in excitement and jump out of my seat like a crazy person. That's far more enjoyable than speculating the potential demise of the season and a list of potential replacements.

• Fire 2

i think the point is not necessarily to charge an indictment against this season. because we probably will get 9-10 wins. we probably go and blow out fresno st. we probably beat miami. but then the other shoe will drop. we lose to msu, hopefully it is close. we hold out hope to win our division. maybe we do, but we probably lose to wiscy and drop another on the way.

but, i think the concern is that this team has serious problems that are endemic. and that we keep seeing this problems makes hard to believe if we will ever be anything more than a 9-10 win team. and the real fear is that we become a 7-5 team before we become an 11-1 team.

i still hope this season is something special because we have the talent and schedule to do something special; and i can't help myself but to expect to win every game. but this looks awfully familiar, and that's not great. when do we make a change before we are forced to change because of a disastrous season?

The fact is, shawn screwed the pooch on Black Friday last year. I know the reaction by some is "fire bo" but I don't even know who I would want as a replacement.

shawn screwed the pooch because he had a policy that he stuck to, and failed to realize his head coach has the sensibility of a petulant child? ok.

as far as replacement, i doubt your input would be required. not our job to find a replacement. but if our baseline is 9 wins? i am sure there are plenty we could take a gamble on for the chance of having a higher ceiling than 10 wins.

So I'm not allowed to give my opinion now? I must have missed those rule changes. Either way, it's generally a good idea to hire a replacement that's better than the last guy, but since that's where we're in the spot we are, you know that.

And yes, Shawn screwed the pooch. He had a good chunk of the fanbase pissed (at Bo), and the media was calling for Bo's head, and he didn't pull the trigger.

He tried to pull the trigger, but Tom still has the ear of the boosters and is protecting Bo because he cares more about his legacy than what is good for the program at this point. (Tom just like everyone else has an ego and he doesn't want his second coach that he forced upon the program to fail like his first one did) So we are left with three scenarios and only one of this is one that will make everyone happy, but it has the least amount of chance of happening.

Scenario #1- Bo finally gets it and starts to achieve something during his time here at NU.

Scenario #2- Bo finally loses enough to where Tom can't defend him and he gets canned. Even the people like me that don't feel that Bo is the right man for the job can root (or shouldn't) against the team just to get a new coach.

Scenario #3- Tom passes away and Bo isn't protected anymore and Shawn can finally run the program without Tom's interference. Nobody in their right mind wants anyone to pass away just to improve the football program and if they do they need to get a life.

So this is why I am pretty much indifferent with the program right now. Either Bo gets it (not likely) or we go to one of the other two scenarios’ which should make nobody happy.