Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

At this point Bo's had multiple chances to make staff changes and has made more than a few. Given his track record here I'm not hopeful for a change in approach. The best I can do is hope I'm completely wrong about his judgment and Beck/Cotton/Fisher make the best damn team of Mangino Offense disciples ever assembled.

Or Shawn will say say something similar to what was reported when Carl left - the checkbook is open - go get your coordinators. And having failed already, I think Bo will go do it this time. If he wants to keep coaching here I bet he does anwyway.

• Fire 1

THANK YOU!!!

nupolo,

I have had these same sentiments for over 4 years. Ever since the issue with how Taylor Martinez got his job I have had an issue with Bo and this Program.... Since then I havent posted as much as I used to because I was chastised for my opinion on Bo and Taylor etc... I enjoy reading some things here and basically kept my opinions to the Baseball threads.

I can appreciate that now, after 4 years of udder BULLSH*T that FINALLY people are coming around.... I mean for me its absolutely absurd that my favorite program, my heros of the college football world, the team I wanted to play for and would have died trying, i root for them to lose so the administration has no choice but to fire his ass... I honestly think last year the administration just did not get the guy they wanted and they decided to keep Bo because they had no better option, and they did not want to just make a change "just to do it" they want the right fit, the right guy, the right leader.

Its sad to me that I get excited thinking about the prospect of this team losing so we can get a new coach and a new light to this program, A new feel, a new excitement, a feeling that the dream of even COMPETING can possibly come to fruition. We as Nebraskan's, want to be on the map, we are prideful and our pride is in our Huskers. Re-draw your pirate treasure map, 'cause the trail to the treasure is quickly disappearing. I think that is all we ask for, yes we were spoiled in the 90s and before, but now to ask for a program with a fan base, the money, the facilities not to field a team that is competitive enough to be proud of is absurd!

The B1G sucks, our schedule sucks, and like NUpolo said, we will get that pretty little 9 wins and everyone will be happy... Solich was fired because he couldnt recruit and had embarrassing losses.... how many times have you been embarrassed as a fan the last 7 years... no seriously look in the mirror and ask that without making an excuse.... i can count on more than 2 hands... no how many BIG wins have you been excited and thrilled and proud of in that time frame? And I dont mean a hail mary come back win against the likes of teams such as Northwestern.... I can count less than 5. Big wins had to come against teams that had injured QBs like Ohio state, Michigan, and Wisconsin...

Karma is a funny thing, the last several years Nebraska has scraped by the skin of its teeth on sooooooooo many games, is this the year that everything starts evening out and those "close" games the ball bounces the other way? I dunno but it came damn close this week.....

I can appreciate that now, after 4 years of udder BULLSH*T that FINALLY people are coming around....

Have you not read this board the past ten months? Polo and several others have been saying much the same thing, in much the same way, all off season. In fact, NUpolo8 was saying very similar stuff during the season last year. If not before the Iowa game, then certainly during, and ever since afterwards.

I can appreciate that now, after 4 years of udder BULLSH*T that FINALLY people are coming around....

Have you not read this board the past ten months? Polo and several others have been saying much the same thing, in much the same way, all off season. In fact, NUpolo8 was saying very similar stuff during the season last year. If not before the Iowa game, then certainly during, and ever since afterwards.

Maybe this time I finally did it well.

I hope so, I used spell check and everything.

• Fire 1

So 95, in September of 2010, you already had the reasons laid out in front of you to suggest this is where we'd be at this point in the Bo era? (Think now. At this point in 2010, we were 2-0, and on the brink of a total ass whoopin up in Seattle).

I just happen to think your thoughts were just a hunch and are now a bit of revisionist history. But I congratulate you. You were right. As of now anyway.

• Fire 1

After reading through all of this, I do have a couple of questions. Why do most believe the B1G to be so bad this year? It appears to me that the B1G is pretty much the same it has been the past several years. It's been quite a while since there's been a B1G team even mentioned in the NC hunt. The B1G is poor this year, but not any worse than it has been for the past several. It seems the easiest route to take is to blame the OC. Several did it when Watson was here. Now, several are doing it with Beck. When was the last time we had a dominant OL? I'd say the last time we had one was when Dominic Riola(sp) was here over a decade ago. It's hard to have a good offense with mediocre OL play. The thought of going through a coaching change isn't very palatable. Will Nebraska really open up the purse strings and get a proven coach? Will they lowball a decent coordinator with the hopes of finding a diamond? Brady Hoke seemed like a good candidate when Michigan hired him. I'll be surprised if he's employed there come 2015.

I don't think it is ludicrous that the staff is in question. I think it is ludicrous to need to use fabricated facts and hyperbolic statements to try to support a position.

Fabricated facts and hyperbolic statements aren't necessary. I can send you some game film if you need it . . .

:laughpound

Truly.

Watch the games. They'll make a far more eloquent and convincing argument in favor of a coaching change than I could ever assemble.

I haven't been in full-on "fire the coach!" mode since the week or two following the 2012 conference championship game - I'm still not. I don't know, maybe it's apathy. At this point I'm honestly more surprised when the team plays well than when they don't. I can't imagine how anyone watched that game Saturday and honestly felt that's the best we can do. I can't imagine how anyone watched that game Saturday and honestly thought the University is holding up their end of the bargain - by providing those young men with the very best coaching possible. It's certainly not a talent issue. I don't care if McNeese State played 4-5 D1 athletes, we played 57 D1 athletes.

• Fire 2

After reading through all of this, I do have a couple of questions. Why do most believe the B1G to be so bad this year? It appears to me that the B1G is pretty much the same it has been the past several years. It's been quite a while since there's been a B1G team even mentioned in the NC hunt. The B1G is poor this year, but not any worse than it has been for the past several.

It's probably too early, but on paper they look worse. For starters, don't forget we added Maryland and Rutgers. Adding 2 bottom dwellers to a league that had plenty already doesn't help much. Purdue is just downright bad, and Penn State has enough sanctions to likely lock them at 7 wins max. Northwestern for a while was a lock for a mid-level bowl, but will struggle to make a bowl this year. Ohio State - well they were top 5 and are lucky to be in the top 25 now. Add to it the other team we hung our hat on having a boatload of points hung on them by a Pac team that may or may not be the best Pac team. Then you look at Wisconsin who's been top dog for the better part of the last 5ish years with multiple BSC bowls struggling to a 50 yard passing day in a complete transition and it gets worse. I don't even need to throw in Illinois (squeeked by w. kentucky & youngstown) or Indiana. Who'd I leave out? Oh yeah, our other marque program Michigan - getting blanked by Notre Dame.

All that, and you have Nebraska and Iowa competing w/ MSU who may rebound and a Minnesota sleeper. Did you every think when we entered this league you'd see the day when Minnesota and Iowa would be on the rise, and Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State appear to be in a free-fall?

Bo's managing of the staff has been one of his weakest qualities as HC.

He's had two bright, hard-working coordinators in Watson and Beck. Cue the "too cute/away from what's working/too simple/too complicated" nonsense, but it's true. He's, by turn, not given them what they've needed or wanted for position coaches or allowed them to run their preferred scheme, or both. I mean, where has the "back to Nebraska running roots with running QBs" shift gotten us in four years? Back to a balanced attack and spread passing game.

We have a guy who came in and turned his nose at the OL schemes of one of the most respected OL coaches in the business, telling his linemen to just be aggressive. Now we're back to a zone blocking scheme as Bo had inherited in the first place. In the meantime, this OL coach had to have extensive help brought in to bring him up to speed, and even that didn't work, which resulted finally in him being released promoted to "TE/OL/Run Game Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach", where he now apparently can't keep up with the Kansas passing principles Beck wants to implement.

At this point I expect a lot of people to talk about how we all know defense has been the real problem. I'd like to remind them that we ran out an OC in 2010 and are keen on doing so again in 2014, so us fans haven't been even close to that happy with the offense, either.

I wish Bo had simply let Shawn do his thing with assistants of his choice, and the same for Beck. It looks like we're finally there on the scheme part with Beck, except two of his four assistants are Bo's handpicked guys and maybe not the best fit for Beck's scheme so we can't even go completely there.

At this point Bo's had multiple chances to make staff changes and has made more than a few. Given his track record here I'm not hopeful for a change in approach. The best I can do is hope I'm completely wrong about his judgment and Beck/Cotton/Fisher make the best damn team of Mangino Offense disciples ever assembled.

You're cooler headed than I am, zoogies. +1

So 95, in September of 2010, you already had the reasons laid out in front of you to suggest this is where we'd be at this point in the Bo era? (Think now. At this point in 2010, we were 2-0, and on the brink of a total ass whoopin up in Seattle).

I just happen to think your thoughts were just a hunch and are now a bit of revisionist history. But I congratulate you. You were right. As of now anyway.

If you asked many people around me hours before game 1 of that season, i said "this is bad, things are not going to be good." after taylors first play i facepalmed as everyone around me was cheering at the tailgate, again saying "this is bad, this is not a good thing,"

I didnt suggest that I had everything laid out in front of me by any means, and no this is not a "i was right" comment, I just knew things wouldnt be good. I didnt know how when or what for sure, You are right, its stated best as I had a very bad feeling about where this program was headed... that was the point where I strongly questioned Bo's decision making ability and leadership

Maybe this time I finally did it well.

I hope so, I used spell check and everything.

Knapp,

No, i have not read many of the comments in the football section for along time, i just pop in now and then... i just kinda quit because my opinion and thoughts for a long time were drastically different than most of the Bolievers ets.

NUpolo,

You did good!! haha

If there was just one thing I would love to never hear or read again from Husker fans is the bolded part in TGs post. Joe is right. NOBODY IS CONTENT WITH 9 WINS AND NO HARDWARE.

Good Lord, I can not figure out why people keep saying that other than they want to say something provocative to make some sort of point.

Content might be the wrong word . . . but the first part is certainly used on a regular basis to defend Bo.

Just because someone claims we have won 9 games every year doesn't mean ANYONE is content, happy, think things are great or what ever people want to claim. Just because someone doesn't act like we are the worst team in the history of college football and throw a temper tantrum after a game (that we won) doesn't mean anyone is content or happy.

^^^

some better words might be: excuse, tolerate, accept.

Yes, better words then Content which I used. Says it better - thanks

some better words might be: excuse, tolerate, accept.

I think the best word is "resigned," as in, we all know there's a problem, but we're resigned to the fact that we can't do anything about it, that the time for Eichorst to act was after the Iowa game, and since he didn't fire Bo then, we've got him for another season regardless of what we say.

So, since many of us just don't want to go full-blown negative about our team, we make the best of the situation.

• Fire 8