An analysis of OC Tim Beck.

I don't feel like Beck does enough to prepare for a specific opponent or a scheme. It just feels to me like the philosophy is "this is what we do, and are gonna do every week, regardless of who is lined up". And that manifests itself in game management as a lack of specific adjustments.

I guess I had hoped that we had had something planned for Michigan State, perhaps a wrinkle we hadn't seen. Instead it seemed more vanilla than usual. I don't really like the "vanilla" excuse.... to me it seems like a justification for an inflexible, undynamic game plan.

Beck doesn't seem to ever have a plan B or a plan C when plan A doesn't work... he just hammers plan A again and again, somehow hoping it will force itself to work.

I hope they have the answers for it should we be able to get a rematch.

I don't feel like Beck does enough to prepare for a specific opponent or a scheme. It just feels to me like the philosophy is "this is what we do, and are gonna do every week, regardless of who is lined up". And that manifests itself in game management as a lack of specific adjustments.

I guess I had hoped that we had had something planned for Michigan State, perhaps a wrinkle we hadn't seen. Instead it seemed more vanilla than usual. I don't really like the "vanilla" excuse.... to me it seems like a justification for an inflexible, undynamic game plan.

Beck doesn't seem to ever have a plan B or a plan C when plan A doesn't work... he just hammers plan A again and again, somehow hoping it will force itself to work.

I agree 100%. The last 2 weeks we have been running the ball, so keep on doing it. We had great field position in the first half and they were keying on Ameer, so why not play action on first down. By 3rd down, there ears were pinned back and they were coming.

I agree 100%. The last 2 weeks we have been running the ball, so keep on doing it. We had great field position in the first half and they were keying on Ameer, so why not play action on first down. By 3rd down, there ears were pinned back and they were coming.

I agree as well with both of you...that has been my frustration/venting in other threads too. Beck's primary responsibility is to give the offensive players the arsenal they need to defeat their opponent on any given Saturday. Some Saturday's basic vanilla will work fine, but for a team like MSU, we needed to see more variations of the playbook that leveraged the strengths of our players.

Also, regarding Tommy losing his composure, especially in the 2nd quarter, I would have taken him out for a drive or two and let him regroup and re-focus. I've seen it done many times at the collegiate level, and 9 times out of 10 the starter comes back in and gets the job done. Tommy certainly came alive late in the game, but we needed him to get back on point by the 2nd quarter. That decision to keep Tommy in would fall with Bo and not Beck.

I agree as well with both of you...that has been my frustration/venting in other threads too. Beck's primary responsibility is to give the offensive players the arsenal they need to defeat their opponent on any given Saturday. Some Saturday's basic vanilla will work fine, but for a team like MSU, we needed to see more variations of the playbook that leveraged the strengths of our players.

Also, regarding Tommy losing his composure, especially in the 2nd quarter, I would have taken him out for a drive or two and let him regroup and re-focus. I've seen it done many times at the collegiate level, and 9 times out of 10 the starter comes back in and gets the job done. Tommy certainly came alive late in the game, but we needed him to get back on point by the 2nd quarter. That decision to keep Tommy in would fall with Bo and not Beck.

I don't think Tommy played that bad considering he was hit 20+ times. Cook who is averaging 70% was under 50% and we at times gave him all day to pass.

• Fire 1

I don't think Tommy played that bad considering he was hit 20+ times. Cook who is averaging 70% was under 50% and we at times gave him all day to pass.

Beck early playing calling needs to take some of the blame for Tommy's timing issues.

This is the problem. Tommy has tremendous accuracy on the deep ball. Why not use it on a first down play action here and there and throw the thing deep. Even if not complete, a consistent threat of it gets them safeties out of the box. They had no fear of Tommy manipulating coverages and going through progressions and dared us to throw deep by keying on Ameer and we never did. Pretty sure this was a key everyone all week long. This is my problem with Beck and why I'm done with him. It's not about balance and run this and that. It's about the fact that time and frickin time again the most casual of fans can see the obvious issues with this offense from a situational playcalling standpoint, yet he cant figure it out and execute on it. They had 10 guys within 7 yards of the LOS multiple times last night and all we would do was slam Ameer into the center for a yard or none. Theyre stacking the box. Throw over their heads. What do we do? We try some dink and dunk bullsh#t just like we did with Martinez, thinking we got Drew Brees or Tom Brady as qb. It's bs. It's basic football. And again, we cant figure that out.

Beck early playing calling needs to take some of the blame for Tommy's timing issues.

You mean first through third quarter early? Cause it wasn't just an 'early' thing--they came out of the locker room with the same damn plan that didn't work in the first half.

As for Beck...all of the good will he earned this season just got burned through in one sitting--this was an entirely winnable game early on, and he blew it with poor play choice.

I wonder if that's why our O-Line looked like they were out of it early--perhaps they saw what was being called wasn't working, and when they were asked to do the same thing over and over, they started checking out?

I saw the diamond once maybe? For a first down IIRC? They were keying on Ameer the entire game - seemed like a perfect place to use that diamond formation and let them suck up to ameer on one side and newby takes it the other direction. Or play action out of it adding another blocker since we obviously needed that. But instead we go wildcat which was about as obvious of a end result as you could get.

• Fire 2

I saw the diamond once maybe? For a first down IIRC? They were keying on Ameer the entire game - seemed like a perfect place to use that diamond formation and let them suck up to ameer on one side and newby takes it the other direction. Or play action out of it adding another blocker since we obviously needed that. But instead we go wildcat which was about as obvious of a end result as you could get.

This to the Nth degree.

Seriously--we have the damn diamond formation and the kids to run it...so f*****g run it, for f***'s sake.

Hell, considering how much MSU was selling out to stop the pass, Play Action out of this formation would have gone for large tracts of land all night.

• Fire 1

Funny thing is, just about every bitch of what people think Beck doesn't do, he did in this game. It simply wasn't working.

Bitches I have heard:

a) He isn't committed to the run game...hmmmm...he sure seemed to be committed to it most of the game.

b) He doesn't adjust during games.....Hmmmmm....well, he adjusted and went to more of a passing attack when it was proven the run wasn't working.

c) He doesn't do short routes...hmmm...he called them but they weren't completed.

d) He doesn't use his full backs...hmmmm...we saw a full back pass in this game.

e) He never calls a screen pass...hmmm...I saw a few.

f) He isn't creative on how to get Ameer the ball....Hmmm...I remember a number of plays I had never seen for Ameer in this game trying to get him the ball in space.

g) bla bla bla bla......

It doesn't matter what you call if you are getting your azz kicked up front. Now, I think if Tommy could have connected on the short passes that were wide open to Ameer and Westercamp, the running game would have opened up more. But, he didn't.

• Fire 5

I absolutely couldn't believe the diamond formation wasn't used more. But, I guess if the Oline was going to completely whiff and played like a bunch of scared babies well it wouldn't have worked anyway. The other RB's could have helped the tackles with double teams I guess and maybe that would have helped, but they didn't play with any fire until Tommy sucked it up(I in no means am saying that in a bad way) and came back in to the game after getting knocked out of the game.