A Few Realities to Chew On

Landlord

Well tgats what i mean mav. Thats what Bo said but i dont understand what receiver woulda been wrong and what they were supposed to run. Regardless it still shows tommys lack of using his eyes. Way too much dependence on the route concept itself there.

While I don't disagree, this kind of miscommunication on anticipated routes happens every Sunday to some of the best quarterbacks and receivers in the game.

Can't we all just agree that we liked what we saw on Saturday night because it was just like the good ol' days of running the ball down someone's throat and the QB didn't need to pass much?

Most definitely. And the logo on that other helmet also had a lot to do with that as well. As much of living in the past and yearning for it as the Nebraska fanbase does, Saturday night was just over the top incredible.

Can't we all just agree that we liked what we saw on Saturday night because it was just like the good ol' days of running the ball down someone's throat and the QB didn't need to pass much?

Most definitely. And the logo on that other helmet also had a lot to do with that as well. As much of living in the past and yearning for it as the Nebraska fanbase does, Saturday night was just over the top incredible.

You are correct. I just mean the nitpicking TA about INT's and such is just plain tiresome. Everyone of our past great QB's had fumbles and INT's. No one was immune.

Pretty sure the talk of mis-communication is a bit of covering for the young QB.

81Q641.jpg

Kenny Bell (at the 42 on the hash) runs a short curl from the inside of the trips. This route would be a check down but also to hold the inside defenders from flowing to the outside too quickly. Moore (on the 38) runs the corner off from the outside of the trips - trying to clear out the outside zone for someone else to come in underneath. Westerkamp (45) runs the wheel route from the middle of the trips.

yfpwOz.jpg

The route combo is obviously designed to clear the intermediate outside zone for Westerkamp. But the corner gives enough cushion that he doesn't have to turn and run with Moore so he can see the throw, come off Moore and intercept the pass. The only possible wrong route (if you're going to assume the pass was thrown to the correct spot) would be if Moore was supposed to run an out but then it would make no sense for Westerkamp to be running a wheel route directly into the out. Unless both Moore and Westerkamp ran the wrong route - and happened to both run wrong routes that complimented each other - it was just a poorly thrown ball.

From my vantage point, the ball was way to deep to be thrown to Westerkamp, but a nice placement for an out to Moore.

4 days out from the game here are my "top ten" comments from the game and the season thus far

1. Can we teach our defense how to defend a WR bubble or tunnell screen? (We did a little better towards the end of the Miami game though)

2. We still need to clean up the penalties

3. We are not a team who should have to throw the ball over 20-25 times a game (15-20 would be ideal)

4. How many times can Gregory get chop blocked in a game before it is penalized

5. Although the O-line has been somewhat inconsistent, but Saturday gave us a glimpse of what we all want to see

6. Our secondary is getting better, I would still like them to find the ball a little better and play with more physicality

7. Two "young guns" of the year Gerry and Pierson-El

8. Ameer is exactly what we thought he would be

9. Criticize TA all you want, he has only lost 1 game as a starter

10. The mindset is changing in Lincoln

You are correct. I just mean the nitpicking TA about INT's and such is just plain tiresome. Everyone of our past great QB's had fumbles and INT's. No one was immune.

The fact that they ran the ball, almost at will, against a D that was supposed to be "fast". Hopefully this opened some offense coaches eyes to the capability to run the ball.