De'Mornay Pierson-El

He was in WR at the end and ran into Hovey which caused the INT. He also got a carry on an end-around which lost 5 yards.

I love his return abilities but it doesn't make him automatically a guy who should see more time in the regular offense.

Couldn't disagree more. He's got big play ability and has clearly shown that he can catch too. Especially with the injuries we have at that position. Get this guy in space and watch out. Until he proves us wrong how could you not call his number more.

I'm not a fan of slow-developing backfield plays like end-arounds. Quick misdirection from the wingback position gets into the secondary a lot faster. I don't fault Beck because he has tried a bunch of different things ,but the execution many times looks like an eleven man clown car.

I'm still steamed that the refs blew that punt in the first quarter and ruled that he signaled for a fair catch. He had a nice lane past the first wave of Spartys. Who knows how far he would have gone?

Apparently, that's actually the rule now. Can't do any kind of wavy thing and then return the ball.

Pierson El is a gifted returner, but probably has a ways to go before he can be a proficient route runner and reader of coverages. I mean, he's a true freshman. But at this point he's almost certain to be pressed into at least some duty, given other injuries at the position.

Here's some more reading on the matter.

It sounds like any kind of waving is an "invalid fair catch" signal and is treated much the same way in that you can't advance the ball after fielding it.

Personally, I think it's a little confusing. Although it looked like DPE and coaches were sorting it out on the sidelines afterwards (as opposed to the coaches going nuts on the officials and asking for an explanation) -- so I think our guys knew.

That basically sounds like an idiotic rule although perhaps there was a problem somewhere with punt returners angleshooting with ambiguous arm signals? IDK. There should still be some way by rule to signal to your teammates that is distinct from a fair catch call.

I understand the urge to get him more involved with the offense, and frankly we may have no choice with the bludgeoning the WR corps has taken, but in my ideal world, his first, last, and only responsibility is doing what he's doing.

And get Ameer the f#ck away from kick returns. He's middling at best, needed elsewhere, and he's dropped two. Ass –––> Bench. Pierson-El is our special teams.

Didn't the ball hit the ground first on the first punt? Wouldn't that negate a fair catch call since he was taking it off the bounce and not making a fair catch

That's exactly what I thought....but maybe they think any waving makes the defense stop going for the returner??

It was considered an invalid waive by official, which makes it a dead ball and can not be returned. The only way it becomes live is after a miss handling of ball before it hits the ground.

He was in WR at the end and ran into Hovey which caused the INT. He also got a carry on an end-around which lost 5 yards.

I love his return abilities but it doesn't make him automatically a guy who should see more time in the regular offense.

Couldn't disagree more. He's got big play ability and has clearly shown that he can catch too. Especially with the injuries we have at that position. Get this guy in space and watch out. Until he proves us wrong how could you not call his number more.

Exactly, this is the the most basic concept of the spread offense, get your best athletes the ball in space and let them make plays. No way anyone can argue the bubble screens we ran to Tarik Allen wouldn't have be been better served going to Pierson-El. Even Allen looked puzzled as to why he was getting those balls.

• Fire 1

Sooooo....he doesn't know the offense well enough to stay out of the way of our other receivers routes ( a good sign he's running the wrong route) but.....he has play making ability so he should be on the field.....

Got it......

• Fire 1

I am not saying Beck shouldn't try to get Pierson-El some additional touches in the offense, but that's easier said than done. I haven't seen any practices, but he may not have a full grasp of the offense. He ran a bad route on a crucial play against Michigan State.

When Pierson-El was recruited, many thought that he would be able to contribute on punt returns, given his experience in high school and NU's struggles in the punt return game the past few years. I will also echo the sentiments that he should be back there on kickoff returns.

• Fire 1