Everybody clap their hands

Honestly though, we need to figure out a different way to snap the ball. It's way to easy to time the clap count we're doing IMO. He hardly ever claps more than once. Yes, he will fake clap but hardly ever does he clap and the ball isn't snapped fairly immediately after that.

Which is exactly what happens if you use a raised foot. And it's exactly what happens when you drop an arm. For that matter, it's exactly what happens when you use a verbal count.

There just aren't that many options. I think it's a bit of an over-reaction when we had problems one game in two years. Especially when it's pretty well shown that they were doing it on purpose and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

As far as cheating goes fake clapping isn't that bad I'm sure there plenty going on pre-snap on just about every play to try and distract players on both sides

Whatever they were doing, it was simulating the snap, and that's illegal. The plays JTrain identified all resulted in negative plays for the Huskers.

That doesn't absolve us from guilt - we should have figured it out & fixed it. Can't wait for the refs to catch this stuff.

I never considered the possibility of this. But it does make sense. You can't really tell the difference between a QB clapping for the ball or a defensive player clapping to either get a miscued snap, or get the attention of one his players to get into position or make a defensive change, or a some random fans clapping.

Maybe its just me, but how long has a QB been clapping to cue for the snap been going on in the game of football, not only the college level, but the professional level as well?

I wonder if they even thought it out that the defense could exploit it. There really is no way to tell whether a defensive player is clapping to disrupt the offensive snap or just trying to get the attention or pump up his defense.

I'm not taking the side of the Spartans on this. I'm just simply trying to point out the flaws of the "clapping" snap.

As far as cheating goes fake clapping isn't that bad I'm sure there plenty going on pre-snap on just about every play to try and distract players on both sides

Would Husker fans be okay with it if our team was doing it?

A couple thoughts-

If MSU was simulating the snap count, and that is against the rules, then by all means Bo should bring it to the attention of the league. But, this seems like a fairly petty thing and also probably very difficult to enforce consistently. The best bet would be for our center not to rely solely on the sound of a hand clap. I can't imagine that would work on the road and probably also not very good at home. Seems like a pretty shaky method IMO.

This is no excuse for the repeated snap problems we had in this game. It's no different than complaining after the fact that their offensive line was holding us all night. When the refs aren't calling something, you adjust and/or take advantage of that. I can't blame MSU for clapping if it was throwing us off and we were too dumb to make any adjustment for it not being called. When they aren't calling holding, everybody grabs and hooks a bit more, don't they? Same thing.

I hate the single clap snap signal. There is no element of surprise or even slight advantage to our offense the way we do it. The timing is always exactly the same. Clap once then snap the ball. Defenders are getting off on the snap count at exactly the same time our players are. I can't prove this but it sure does seem like we have drawn way fewer defensive offsides/ encroachments since we went to the clap. It also seems like we're giving the defense an unnecessary advantage at knowing when to tee off on their rush. In effect, they know our exact snap count every time. Has the game changed that those few fractions of a second just aren't worth the trouble anymore?

John Bishop retweeted

default_profile_1_bigger.pngnebraskafaninwi@12dcvf 5m5 minutes ago

@JohnBishop71 @MikelSevere 10:53 3rd, 0:39 3rd, 12:48 2nd. Pay attention to number 43. He turns his back to the ref to not get caught.

It's good that it is getting pointed out, but it doesn't help you from getting manhandled by their front 7.

I distinctly remember Wiscy doing this same thing on D against Ohio St a year ago. Didn't stop Ohio st from beating Wiscy....didn't look like it caused much issue for Ohio St...

Alright, let's not just talk about it, let's see it. This tweet from Knapplc is making its rounds which clearly demonstrates how the MSU defense (in this clip #43) where clapping and disrupting the cadence of the Nebraska offense (in this clip leading to an early snap by Mark Pelini that was dropped by an unaware Tommy Armstrong). Dantonio is so wrong in this situation. This was clearly a violation and should have been flagged. It puts into perspective the 3 or 4 early snaps by Mark Pelini that killed some of our drives and two-point conversion attempts.

knapplc@knapplc 36m

@RealMikeWelch Clap-gate: 12:48 2nd qtr - sack 10:53 3rd - Tommy fumble 0:39 3rd - 4th down failed Video - http://videobam.com/Ifehi

John Bishop retweeted

default_profile_1_bigger.pngnebraskafaninwi@12dcvf 5m5 minutes ago

@JohnBishop71 @MikelSevere 10:53 3rd, 0:39 3rd, 12:48 2nd. Pay attention to number 43. He turns his back to the ref to not get caught.

It's good that it is getting pointed out, but it doesn't help you from getting manhandled by their front 7.

I distinctly remember Wiscy doing this same thing on D against Ohio St a year ago. Didn't stop Ohio st from beating Wiscy....didn't look like it caused much issue for Ohio St...

I dont know.. if MSU players all know when their linebacker is going to clap.. they go and the o-line might be a second behind.

Obviously this doesnt explain everything but it is like the d-line knowing the snap count and having that extra second.

Most times i dont blame something like this for a loss.. but those missed snaps were in big spots...