I did blame the offensive line...now I blame the clap

If it took three quarters to figure out the clap problem, we have more problems than the clap.

It would have been pretty clairvoyant for us to figure it out before they did it.

Mark Pelini snapped the ball about 5 times based on Sparty clapping. However, the defensive line was charging on Tommy's clap. Herbstreit mentioned once that both defensive ends must have been off sides because they were in the backfield before our linemen even moved. Offensive linemen get an advantage knowing the snap count- should be able to get across the LOS before the defense reacts. Tommy's clapping surrenders the advantage. They need to work something out with Mark Pelini like see the clap, head up, and a silent count before he snaps the ball. Maybe get some offsides calls?

Clapping only excuses the false starts and snapping the ball early. It doesn't excuse the poor blocking.

The clapping directly doesn't. However, at least from my novice eye, Pelini was not changing the time from the clap to the snap of the ball. Michigan State's DL was teeing off on the offensive line all night until the changes made late in the game. I think it would be a difficult thing to block someone when you either aren't even out of your stance when the defensive lineman gets into you, you are still on your hills when he gets into you, or is already blown past you, which happened on more than one occasion. Just my .02

^

This guy understands the whole point.

I'm not even going to repeat the entire point of this topic, but some of you are still watching this go right over your heads. Geezus, I literally didn't think this was all that complicating but I guess so.

Tommy was clapping agiain in the Northwestern game. Did they do something different for the snap?

I really have to go back and look, but from the results I'd say either we changed or Northwestern's coaches and players haven't picked up on this. If they knew about it, there's no reason they wouldn't have blown by our tackles like MSu's ends were. Even if Northwestern's ends are not quite as quick, when the opposing team is signaling the snap with a simple single clap, it makes it pretty easy no matter who it is out there.

• 3 months later...

For the record, yes, Michigan State linebackers do use clapping to change their defensive fronts.

But a chuckling MSU linebacker Taiwan Lewis conceded Friday at the NFL Combine that, yes, the Spartans were trying to mess with Nebraska's snap count during a 27-22 win over the Huskers. Lewis and his teammates were highly successful, thwarting one drive into Michigan State territory when Husker center Mark Pelini snapped the ball prematurely on fourth down.
"We watched film, so we knew what the tendencies were in terms of what the quarterback does," Lewis said. "A lot of people said the clap might have thrown off the snap count -- which it might have. Sometimes that's we change our fronts, but in that game, it just so happened to work in our favor in a lot of parts in the game.

OWH

For the record, yes, Michigan State linebackers do use clapping to change their defensive fronts.

But a chuckling MSU linebacker Taiwan Lewis conceded Friday at the NFL Combine that, yes, the Spartans were trying to mess with Nebraska's snap count during a 27-22 win over the Huskers. Lewis and his teammates were highly successful, thwarting one drive into Michigan State territory when Husker center Mark Pelini snapped the ball prematurely on fourth down.

"We watched film, so we knew what the tendencies were in terms of what the quarterback does," Lewis said. "A lot of people said the clap might have thrown off the snap count -- which it might have. Sometimes that's we change our fronts, but in that game, it just so happened to work in our favor in a lot of parts in the game.

OWH

Lol

Another example of how great the previous coaching staff was at in game adjustments

But....but.....Urban Meyer hired Tim Beck.....so that means Tim Beck is obviously a far better coach than we realized he was. Yet, as Michigan St. destroyed our season, Beck couldn't figure out up in his box what some of us saw going on through our tv screens.

If Tim Beck brings "the clap" with him to Ohio St., I'd say our chances of beating them in the CCG goes up dramatically. I hope Beck has a major influence there.

If Tim Beck brings "the clap" with him to Ohio St.,

I guess you aren't aware that Ohio State.....yes, the national champions......use it already.
Really? They clap once and snap the ball every time?

I highly recommend Mark Banker take notice.

Yep, they did it all the way through the Natty Title Game. Funny thing though, they played MSU after us and after Bo raised Sparty's tactics as an issue and thus taking that piece of gamesmanship away from MSU against OSU.