I did blame the offensive line...now I blame the clap

5:47 left in the fourth quarter tells you everything you need to know. MSU was anticipating and jumping the snap based on Armstrongs clap. When Pelini, the center, hesitates on this single play in the fourth quarter instead of snapping the ball immediately after the clap, both MSU defensive ends are flagged for offsides penalties.

And our staff didn't notice? Or the team didn't say anything? WTH? Sadly, IMO, this is more telling of how inexperienced our staff (not all) really are. Details and execution.......

• Fire 2

5:47 left in the fourth quarter tells you everything you need to know. MSU was anticipating and jumping the snap based on Armstrongs clap. When Pelini, the center, hesitates on this single play in the fourth quarter instead of snapping the ball immediately after the clap, both MSU defensive ends are flagged for offsides penalties.

I just rewatched the ending and noticed this too, although I'm pretty sure NU had mostly switched to silent hand signals before this point. Also interesting, re-watch when Ryker Fyfe is in for the two-point try- he claps a bunch of times before the ball comes out, then seems surprised when it comes, botches the handoff, and ultimately walks off the field in apparent disgust.

I think the coaches figured this all out sometime in the late third or early fourth quarter, and it helped change the complexion of the game.

And our staff didn't notice? Or the team didn't say anything? WTH? Sadly, IMO, this is more telling of how inexperienced our staff (not all) really are. Details and execution.......

Watching the fourth quarter now. Tommy is no longer clapping for the snap. We are moving the ball and Tommy has more time in the pocket on passing downs.

There could be multiple factors in this situation, but I find it interesting that we quit clapping and things changed.

• Fire 4

Watching the fourth quarter now. Tommy is no longer clapping for the snap. We are moving the ball and Tommy has more time in the pocket on passing downs.

There could be multiple factors in this situation, but I find it interesting that we quit clapping and things changed.

Agree. Can't remember the guy that was interviewed (Husker OL) that said in the fourth when we went up tempo it threw MSU off. That coincides with changing the clap. Damn, I wish we had done that early on..................

Ok, I just went through and watched the plays deedsker pointed out in the other thread, as well as most of the fourth quarter, and I'm now of the opinion this made an enormous difference in the game. Our O-line looks a lot better when the defense isn't able to jump the snap and #43 is no longer allowed to induce QB-Center exchange problems. Crazy!

Too bad we couldn't figure this all out earlier in the game. I hope we do get them in the CCG. Without the advantage of a) interfering with the snap, and b) knowing the cadence, we'll beat them.

• Fire 6

I coach a youth 11-12 yr old team. When we are in pistol or shotgun formation my QB does the clap also. But We have drilled it 1000 times. 1 clap means nothing. 2 claps is just telling the center he is ready and to snap it when he wants. the rest of the O-line is going on ball movement. So the center never snaps it the same time. Its always different.

As far as one can tell just from television broadcasts, it seems like communication on the sideline usually consists of Pelini barking at a player, and that player hanging his head and walking away. Aside from that time Stafford fired back.
  • Fire 1

It aggrevates me. This shouldve been adjusted to long before it was an issue. The first time

Tommy: "whyd you snap it. what the hell you doin?"

Pelini: "I heard the clap"

Tommy: "I didnt clap. I was getting an audible"

Pelini: "Well someone clapped"

Tommy: "Lets go to a hand signal then"

There. Done. Simple. Instead the rest of the game Pelini is more than likely more focused on trying to determing the right "clap" to snap it on rather than focusing on def aligment, pressure looks, and protection adjustments. No wonder....

So if this clap thing really did have a marginal impact on the game, it's just as much our fault as anything.

• Fire 1

It aggrevates me. This shouldve been adjusted to long before it was an issue. The first time

There. Done. Simple. Instead the rest of the game Pelini is more than likely more focused on trying to determing the right "clap" to snap it on rather than focusing on def aligment, pressure looks, and protection adjustments. No wonder....

So if this clap thing really did have a marginal impact on the game, it's just as much our fault as anything.

You make a good point but the clapping isn't what knocked Cotton over and it's not what was destroying both of our tackles all night long

You make a good point but the clapping isn't what knocked Cotton over and it's not what was destroying both of our tackles all night long

I know that. Our line was garbage. I didnt mean to insinuate that clapgate was the reason for all that nonsense. But the fact that we let it go on was garbage on our part.

I know that. Our line was garbage. I didnt mean to insinuate that clapgate was the reason for all that nonsense. But the fact that we let it go on was garbage on our part.

I agree

As far as one can tell just from television broadcasts, it seems like communication on the sideline usually consists of Pelini barking at a player, and that player hanging his head and walking away. Aside from that time Stafford fired back.

That was awesome! Hated Stafford as a player, loved that moment.