Dedicated QB Coach

So our coaches lack the ability to recruit the type of QB needed to turn us into a contender? Either way you slice it it falls on the staff

Not sure about lack of ability. I think it is a combination of recruit, the system that works with the qb's strengths, the player's development as he gains experience and the coaching. But the most important factor would be the recruit/player. Would we be a better or an improved team with Brent Hundley or even a Brett Smith (Wyoming)? If so, then it isn't so much about the needs of a dedicated QB coach. If that makes sense

So our coaches lack the ability to recruit the type of QB needed to turn us into a contender? Either way you slice it it falls on the staff

Not sure about lack of ability. I think it is a combination of recruit, the system that works with the qb's strengths, the player's development as he gains experience and the coaching. But the most important factor would be the recruit/player. Would we be a better or an improved team with Brent Hundley or even a Brett Smith (Wyoming)? If so, then it isn't so much about the needs of a dedicated QB coach. If that makes sense

That is assuming we have the coaching staff to put them in the right position and game plan around our qbs strengths

It's true that someone has to be coaching multiple positions. There are a lot of ways to mix & match.

We do need a "QB guy" on the staff, however. I think every team does if they are to expect quality QB play. When we had Watson, this wasn't an issue, as Watson was clearly a OC/QB guy with specialty in working with QBs.

With Beck, it's not clear that this is his specialty and I don't think it is. We do still have that QB guy, though, and it's currently Joe Ganz, who has to be considered a lot more inexperienced than Watson at least, and also won't be here next year.

We're going to need someone to take over the "QB guy" role next year, and I hope it's a full-time assistant who is also a recruiting asset and works with another area of the offense as well, whether that's run game coordinating, WRs, TEs, RBs, whatever -- and shuffle the staff as needed to accomodate.

• Fire 2

I think Quarterback skills have gone downhill since Turner Gill left the staff. We definitely need someone at that position.

Could be. But two notes:

- We didn't exactly have the greatest passing QBs during his time

- We could afford to have a QB coach because we didn't have an "offensive coordinator"

I think Quarterback skills have gone downhill since Turner Gill left the staff. We definitely need someone at that position.

Could be. But two notes:

- We could afford to have a QB coach because we didn't have an "offensive coordinator"

we could probably lose our "defensive coordinator".

just saying.

Could be. But two notes:

we could probably lose our "defensive coordinator".

just saying.

"Tight end/big picture coach" is probably the one most see as superfluous

It's true that someone has to be coaching multiple positions. There are a lot of ways to mix & match.

We do need a "QB guy" on the staff, however. I think every team does if they are to expect quality QB play. When we had Watson, this wasn't an issue, as Watson was clearly a OC/QB guy with specialty in working with QBs.

With Beck, it's not clear that this is his specialty and I don't think it is. We do still have that QB guy, though, and it's currently Joe Ganz, who has to be considered a lot more inexperienced than Watson at least, and also won't be here next year.

We're going to need someone to take over the "QB guy" role next year, and I hope it's a full-time assistant who is also a recruiting asset and works with another area of the offense as well, whether that's run game coordinating, WRs, TEs, RBs, whatever -- and shuffle the staff as needed to accomodate.

^^ This. Because of ncaa limits we're going to need to combine position coaches somehow. And OC/QBs is a logical combination. Alabama does it. Oklahoma does it. And quite a few other teams as well. But Beck might be more OC oriented that QB oriented. Having Ganz help out provides the needed insight and know how into the QB position.

Could be. But two notes:

According to Gill's bio he coached quarterbacks at Nebraska from 1992 to 2004 ... so that would be among others Frazier, Frost, and Crouch ... Yeah you're right. Who needs guys like that.

Could be. But two notes:

According to Gill's bio he coached quarterbacks at Nebraska from 1992 to 2004 ... so that would be among others Frazier, Frost, and Crouch ... Yeah you're right. Who needs guys like that.

Who need to be able to read my post or the part of being a QB that is generally being discussed in this thread.

Could be. But two notes:

If we're using this logic, we might as well as boot Pap out now. However, I think he's a very good recruiter that has a connection with a lot of the younger kids so I don't know if that's going to happen.

Of those on staff, I view Barney, Els, and Pap as the most expendable, probably in that order.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian Kelly is on Mike & Mike right now. They were talking about the turnovers Golson's turnovers, particularly in the last game against AZ St. In particular, they were talking about how Golson was fairly loose with the ball on the fumbles. He said - not a direct quote but very close - that's the way [Golson] is and he's not trying to change that. Basically, he's athletic an running around is part of who he is as a quarterback. The implication was if he tried to work with him on being more careful, he would lose some of the other things that he does well.

Just thought that was interesting as Kelly is known for having pretty good QBs and our discussion about "why don't we see improvement in __________?"