Shatel: Is this what it's come to - celebrating a win over Northwestern?

knapplc

Bo said he didn't like where we were at when Beck called the trick play and continued to say "that's why he calls the plays and I don't."

If Beck didn't call the Offensive plays he shouldn't be making 750 grand. Well he probably shouldn't be making 750 grand now, but since he is, he better be making those calls. That's what we're paying him to do.

I'm not sure I understand the angst against Shatel here. This wasn't a negative article at all. If you are worried that Shatel "wants us to fail" or whatever, I don't think you read the whole article.

There is never a complete positive article from him. Read again, as he tries to push the buttons of the fans.

“I see us getting better in some areas,” Pelini said, “and some areas that continue to need work.”

Doesn’t sound like a championship team on Oct. 18, does it?

That’s OK. The Huskers can’t win a championship now. What they have to do is take their group of terrific, eye-opening individual talents and hope they can cover up the other warts that continue to pop up halfway through a season.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, there shouldn’t be anyone they can’t outscore and not many teams that will spread it and pass it like Northwestern. Wisconsin won’t do that. Nobody knows what Iowa’s doing.

Keep making plays, keep avoiding turnovers and hope the offensive line that mauled Illinois shows up again at some point in the next six weeks. And then take your chances in Indianapolis. Who knows what Mr. Pierson-El will be doing by then?

The Huskers have championship talent in several places, but you wonder if the rest of the team will ever catch up. But they don’t have to decide that next week against Rutgers. They just have to win.

That dirty, filthy Creighton homer.

Seriously though, what did he say that was incorrect?

• Fire 1

Tom can get over himself.

It wasn't a tour de force from a Top 5 caliber team, but Nebraska took care of business in a performance to build on. Northwestern is probably low on talent, deprived of their best playmaker, but they are a well-coached team with a capable, veteran QB. They tried their best to give Nebraska all it could handle again, and lost in the end by 21. At home, on homecoming.

Absolutely. I'll never forget that wretched Saturday a couple years ago that these guys came into Lincoln and ruined our month. Used to live in (and root for) Iowa and Northwestern has earned the moniker: JNW, for Just Northwestern- a play on the fact that they were a terrible thorn in the side of the generally heavily favored Hawks for years. "It's just Northwestern... what could go wrong?"

This program has earned a very decent rank. Where's USC? A&M? Missou? They're always exciting to watch and usually having fun. Randy Gregory is a monster. Rarely have I seen a player throw himself at another team with such abandon. So many positives! I'm content to wait for a loss to actually mourn our inadequacy and I think the article acknowledges that.