#16 in Both Polls

Why would people find it surprising to have two teams from the same conference in the playoff? We've had two teams from the same conference in the championship game before. I don't want it to happen, but if Ole Miss wins the rest of their games and Alabama wins the rest of their games, Alabama would have a good argument that they're one of the top 4 teams. Their only loss would be to the #1/#2 team in the country in an early game. If Mississippi State and Auburn win the rest of their games, Auburn would have a good argument that they're one of the top 4 teams. Their only loss would be to the #1 team in the country in an early game.

Because bama wouldnt even be the best team in their conference, which is settled on the field in actual games. Not some computer or polling. Why should one conference get a free pass as the best when an opportunity arises such as nc games and now playoffs and they pair two teams from the same conference.

Not to mention ghe big complaint of the playoff seems to be taking some importance from the tegular season. But if they just made it an 8 team playoff with the 5 power conference champions, the top mid major (non power 5), and two wildcards.

Its just simple common sense. If youre not the best in your conference how can you be the best in the nation?

Sorry bama. But win your games. Its that simple. But in all factuality, theyre not out of it yet.

Why would people find it surprising to have two teams from the same conference in the playoff? We've had two teams from the same conference in the championship game before. I don't want it to happen, but if Ole Miss wins the rest of their games and Alabama wins the rest of their games, Alabama would have a good argument that they're one of the top 4 teams. Their only loss would be to the #1/#2 team in the country in an early game. If Mississippi State and Auburn win the rest of their games, Auburn would have a good argument that they're one of the top 4 teams. Their only loss would be to the #1 team in the country in an early game.

Because bama wouldnt even be the best team in their conference, which is settled on the field in actual games. Not some computer or polling. Why should one conference get a free pass as the best when an opportunity arises such as nc games and now playoffs and they pair two teams from the same conference.

Not to mention ghe big complaint of the playoff seems to be taking some importance from the tegular season. But if they just made it an 8 team playoff with the 5 power conference champions, the top mid major (non power 5), and two wildcards.

Its just simple common sense. If youre not the best in your conference how can you be the best in the nation?

Sorry bama. But win your games. Its that simple. But in all factuality, theyre not out of it yet.

They're looking for the 4 best teams in the country in order to find out who the best is, and both of those teams would have very good arguments in the scenarios I mentioned. The teams they would beat out for a spot are teams that also have one loss. The only undefeated teams right now are Ole Miss, Mississippi State, FSU, and Marshall. At most we're going to have 3 undefeated teams at the end of the regular season. Why should a team from another conference that lost to a crappy opponent get in over a team that lost to the #1 or #2 team? It depends on which team we're talking about getting left out, though. For instance, if Oregon and Michigan State both win out, Michigan State should get in over a 1 loss SEC team that didn't win their conference, because all things would be even + MSU won their conference.

• Fire 2

The issue people have this season is these SEC teams got big lifts by beating a vastly overrated aTm team who were rewarded for beating a vastly overrated South Carolina team. 'Bama has defeated nobody of note and Mississippi's only noteworthy win is over that same 'bama team. MSU has an impressive win over Auburn, but got a huge lift by beating a weaker LSU.

There was a time when Nebraska being ranked #16 would incite riots. Now...we rejoice *sigh*

There was also a time when Nebraska had 2 losing seasons in 4 years and was losing 76-39 to Kansas and we would be begging to be 6-1. It's all about perspective.

I'd argue your scenario would draw the bigger sigh... so +1.

I'm not going to worry about the SEC. They're going to beat each other into the ground. I'll wait to see it shake out before I start to wonder how many they'll get in.

If the argument is that they got a superficial rankings boost by beating poor teams that got overrated early on, then I think you also have to complain about CFB as a whole having an SEC prestige. They ranked 8 teams from the SEC in the top 25 in the first edition of both polls, with 11 SEC teams receiving votes in the initial AP poll and 10 SEC teams in the Coaches poll.

If the argument is that they got a superficial rankings boost by beating poor teams that got overrated early on, then I think you also have to complain about CFB as a whole having an SEC prestige. They ranked 8 teams from the SEC in the top 25 in the first edition of both polls, with 11 SEC teams receiving votes in the initial AP poll and 10 SEC teams in the Coaches poll.

the SEC, with the help of the media, has been put on a pedestal over the last 10 years. They over-rank many of their teams simply because they are SEC.

According to the narrative that has been force fed for almost a decade, If a BIG team (or other power conference) ranked #5 loses to an unranked BIG team it is because the #5 BIG team was over-rated. If a #5 SEC team loses to an unranked SEC it is because the unranked SEC team was just that good. Look at Texas A&M this year. They shot up to the top ten because they "had" to be that good in the minds of the media for beating an almighty SEC team.

• Fire 3

The issue people have this season is these SEC teams got big lifts by beating a vastly overrated aTm team who were rewarded for beating a vastly overrated South Carolina team. 'Bama has defeated nobody of note and Mississippi's only noteworthy win is over that same 'bama team. MSU has an impressive win over Auburn, but got a huge lift by beating a weaker LSU.

As a whole the SEC is overrated. They are not as much better than the other conferences as the polls indicate. But I can't think of teams that are obviously better than Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, and Alabama, and when/if those teams get 2 losses they will be leapfrogged by 1-loss non SEC teams.

We're not really talking about now though. If those teams I mentioned win out, they will have beaten some very good teams and that's what makes their argument good. Not where they stand currently. Alabama could end up losing 2-3 games and then they're out of the picture. I'm simply saying if Alabama or Auburn do win out, they're arguably one of the best four teams in the country.

I think it will get unmuddled and we'll end up with teams from all different conferences. But it could still be a really difficult choice. What if Michigan State, Mississippi State, Auburn, Kansas State, Oregon, FSU, and Notre Dame all win the rest of their games?

Then you've got KSU who lost to Auburn, Auburn who lost to Miss State, Michigan State who lost to Oregon, Oregon who lost to Arizona (but then maybe beat them in the Pac-12 championship), and Notre Dame who lost to FSU. How the hell do you pick the 3rd and 4th playoff teams from those? Auburn lost to the best team (hard to argue with the winner of the SEC being the best team), KSU lost to the team that lost to the best team, Notre Dame lost to the 2nd best team, Michigan State lost to the 3rd or 4th best team. Notre Dame and Auburn had tougher schedules than KSU/Michigan State.

• Fire 1