Chatelain: It's a running battle with playcaller Tim Beck

I am just happy when we win. I hate losing. As long as we are winning, and we are somewhat multiple (thus you need to pass it once in a while), then I am thrilled. I do agree three straight passes that are all incomplete can cause an aneurism, but an incomplete pass, a short run and another incomplete pass is still a three an out.

13 drives against Rutgers:

6 touchdowns

1 missed FG

2 possessions ended by turnovers

1 drive that ended with the game

63 plays for 455 yards.

22 passes (35% of snaps). 14 completions (63.6%) for 163 yards and 2 td.

41 runs (65% of snaps). 292 yards and 4 td.

8 of 13 (61.5%) 3rd down conversions

Huskers had a chance to score on 7 of the 12 drives (58%) during which they actually tried to score. Moore had 2 or 3 more drops. Complete those and Tommy is over 70% completion percentage. The interception was dumb. I just re-watched that drive. Bell was 3 yards out of bounds when Tommy threw it. There's no way Tommy looked before letting it go. That's not on Beck. A starting QB at the division one level has got to avoid such a poor decision, especially one who has started 15 games or whatever the number is. Yes, he's JUST a sophomore, but he's got a lot of experience, and certainly enough to make a better decision in that scenario.

They have successfully built an offense that makes the defense honor the run and the pass. Even if they aren't a great passing team, they've shown the ability to pass just enough to keep themselves in it when the run game does nothing (see the MSU game). Defensive coordinators have a lot to worry about. People act like Beck goes air raid when in reality they still run the ball 2/3 of the time. They're a top 10 offense in the country, putting up better numbers than any Husker team since 1995. They have the leading receiver and possibly the leading rusher in Nebraska history on the same team. Bottom line, I'm not sure there's as much to complain about as people are saying there is.

• Fire 2

6 touchdowns

1 missed FG

63 plays for 455 yards.

Huskers had a chance to score on 7 of the 12 drives (58%) during which they actually tried to score. Moore had 2 or 3 more drops. Complete those and Tommy is over 70% completion percentage. The interception was dumb. I just re-watched that drive. Bell was 3 yards out of bounds when Tommy threw it. There's no way Tommy looked before letting it go. That's not on Beck. A starting QB at the division one level has got to avoid such a poor decision, especially one who has started 15 games or whatever the number is. Yes, he's JUST a sophomore, but he's got a lot of experience, and certainly enough to make a better decision in that scenario.

They have successfully built an offense that makes the defense honor the run and the pass. Even if they aren't a great passing team, they've shown the ability to pass just enough to keep themselves in it when the run game does nothing (see the MSU game). Defensive coordinators have a lot to worry about. People act like Beck goes air raid when in reality they still run the ball 2/3 of the time. They're a top 10 offense in the country, putting up better numbers than any Husker team since 1995. They have the leading receiver and possibly the leading rusher in Nebraska history on the same team. Bottom line, I'm not sure there's as much to complain about as people are saying there is.

Your right no reason to complain. At the time I was a little upset with the three pass series that resulted in the int. I would have run the ball on second down of that series.

Not real upset with the offense other than AA is just so much better than his backups when you watch the game it is scary.

The defense is the thing that is a little disappointing. They really took the foot off the gas in the second half. They didn't finish.

Part of the defenses problem if you can believe it is the fact that Nova got hurt. The different style of QB with a different skill set and a little different play calling than they plan for gave them some problems.

But still the defense mostly lost focus and coasted, which does happen. Coaches are never happy about it but it does happen.

It gives coaches something to work on after an easy win.

6 touchdowns

1 missed FG

63 plays for 455 yards.

Your right no reason to complain. At the time I was a little upset with the three pass series that resulted in the int. I would have run the ball on second down of that series.

Not real upset with the offense other than AA is just so much better than his backups when you watch the game it is scary.

The defense is the thing that is a little disappointing. They really took the foot off the gas in the second half. They didn't finish.

Part of the defenses problem if you can believe it is the fact that Nova got hurt. The different style of QB with a different skill set and a little different play calling than they plan for gave them some problems.

But still the defense mostly lost focus and coasted, which does happen. Coaches are never happy about it but it does happen.

Great post by bimmerman, and I on the same page as you NUinID. I think the D lost a bit of focus on the roll out game that the replacement QB got a few nice runs on. Other than those plays, the game was utterly dominated by NU. I just don't get the angst a lot of fans seem to be having. Regarding your point about AA being head and shoulders above the other backs, I would hope so as that is often the case between a Heisman contender and other RBs. Cross and Newby have looked good, issue is we are spoiled by AA. Newby is just a So. and will get better and Cross is pretty good as well.

6 touchdowns

1 missed FG

63 plays for 455 yards.

Great post by bimmerman, and I on the same page as you NUinID. I think the D lost a bit of focus on the roll out game that the replacement QB got a few nice runs on. Other than those plays, the game was utterly dominated by NU. I just don't get the angst a lot of fans seem to be having. Regarding your point about AA being head and shoulders above the other backs, I would hope so as that is often the case between a Heisman contender and other RBs. Cross and Newby have looked good, issue is we are spoiled by AA. Newby is just a So. and will get better and Cross is pretty good as well.

Yes, Newby should get better and they need to not run outside zone with Cross it is not his game. I agree we are spoiled with AA.

Hope Adam Taylor is back healthy next year as well. Some think he could be a force to be reckoned with. He certainly was in HS.

You guys saying the D relaxed realize we gave up 110 yards to their starting O until we pulled our first string D right? Even then, we only gave up 163 yards total in the second half. The two TDs were from 21 yards out after a TA fumbled snap and a 53 yard drive against our second team...

I wouldn't say they let up...

6 touchdowns

1 missed FG

63 plays for 455 yards.

Great post. That's all they needs to be said.

Hope Adam Taylor is back healthy next year as well. Some think he could be a force to be reckoned with. He certainly was in HS.

You guys saying the D relaxed realize we gave up 110 yards to their starting O until we pulled our first string D right? Even then, we only gave up 163 yards total in the second half. The two TDs were from 21 yards out after a TA fumbled snap and a 53 yard drive against our second team...

I wouldn't say they let up...

Let up might be a poor choice, but there were starters in on both drives. They misplayed the QB roll out, failed to contain, and it cost them both drives. Other than that, I thought they played well.

My issue is Beck goes away from whats working or sticks with it when its not. He also appears to try and fit the square peg in the round hole with his QB's. TA is not a side line to sideline passer. His vertical game is good and getting better. Yet Beck continually goes to that screen or quick out that kills drives.......

How do you know that Tommy is a good vertical passer? Oh wait, it's because you have seen him complete a lot of vertical passes.

Guess who called those vertical passing plays? :)

Unless you would literally like Beck to call 4 streaks every passing play, you defeat your own argument by observing what Tommy is good at because Beck called the plays to show Tommy's talent in those areas. Passing plays are incredibly intricate, and also incredibly important to show different looks in. Those screens and quick outs are efficient plays when they are executed. So if you want to criticize our offensive coordinator because our players don't occasionally make plays, fine, but if you're criticizing him for calling the plays, well, the criticism isn't warranted.

Call the game to TA's strengths in the passing game and watch our O go to that next level. When they have 8 in the box do anything to get them out i.e. vertical pass, PA, motion, misdirection, USE THE TE, RB delay and drag the middle etc..... Beck seems oblivious of changing to plan B and getting success. IMO, he has no plan B. That's an issue.

TA has one bona fide strength in the passing game. It isn't strenghtS with an s on the end. It's strength. Throwing nice deep balls. Nevermind that they are an incredibly low percentage play, we still throw at least 5 a game. Again, this just seems like ignorant posturing more than an actual informed observation.

Truthfully I think a lot of this hatred towards Tim Beck stems from his $700k salary. I think most Husker fans don't agree that we are getting $700k salary results from Tim Beck.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the only coach, beside Pelini that should be making that much, is Ron Brown. Aside from the fumbles, he has developed 3 NFL caliber running backs here at Nebraska under Bo Pelini in these 7 years. We really cannot afford to lose that man.

Truthfully I think a lot of this hatred towards Tim Beck stems from his $700k salary. I think most Husker fans don't agree that we are getting $700k salary results from Tim Beck.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the only coach, beside Pelini that should be making that much, is Ron Brown. Aside from the fumbles, he has developed 3 NFL caliber running backs here at Nebraska under Bo Pelini in these 7 years. We really cannot afford to lose that man.

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gi

I love Coach Brown, but a position coach getting or deserving anywhere close to that amount of money is about 10x more absurd than the criticisms of Beck or the idea that he's overpaid.