*** The Official Purdue Boilermakers Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

Some history. In each year of the Bo Pelini Era, Nebraska has lost a home or neutral-site game to an unranked opponent. They were:

2008 - Virginia Tech

2009 - Texas Tech, Iowa State

2010 - Texas

2011 - Northwestern

2012 - Wisconsin (neutral site)

2013 - Iowa

Six home losses in six years, one neutral-site loss, all to unranked teams.

Enter the 3-5 (1-3) Purdue Boilermakers. Two games under .500, nowhere near the rankings. Sagarin has them 81st in his ranking.

But this is not a terrible team. They can score points, in bunches, against even good teams. They scored 31 against Michigan State (although 14 of those points came late in the 4th quarter after it was 38-17 Sparty).

Including that Sparty game, Purdue has scored 31 points or more in its last three games. Austin Appleby has taken over at quarterback, a 6'5", 229lb behemoth of a kid, a Sophomore, but he can run and he's completing passes at better than 60%. He has five passing touchdowns in his last three games, one against Sparty. Also in that span he's run for three touchdowns, one a 62-yard scamper against Illinois. Appleby has thrown three picks in his last two games, though, including two against Minnesota two weeks ago. So he's not perfect - but he can hurt you.

Joining Appleby in the backfield is RB Akeem Hunt, who ran for 96 yards and three TDs against Michigan State on just 12 carries (8.0 YPC). The kid has ridiculous speed, and if they get him in the open, especially against some of our slower linebackers, he could house it. They throw it to him out of the backfield, and although he has modest receiving yardage, he has the second-most receptions on the year, and he's definitely a threat against this defense.

That's the bad news.

The good news is, Purdue's defense is awful. They've given up 30 or more points in five of eight games, holding only Iowa, Central Michigan and Illinois below 30 points. Their major defensive ranks:

Total Defense - 84th

Scoring Defense - 91st

Pass Efficiency Defense - 65th

Rushing Defense - 77th

That last stat is the most promising. Beck needs to use Ameer liberally today, 30 times or more if necessary, to burn clock and keep the Purdue offense off the field.

Purdue will score today. They could put up 30 points, only the second team to accomplish that against this defense all year (thanks to Miami's gift garbage-time touchdown). Nebraska needs to have their track shoes on today, on defense to keep up with their speed and on offense to run, run, run the ball down their throats.

With a bye week coming up, a loss today will make for a truly awful two weeks. A win and the team can rest up a bit for the stretch run against Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa.

Run, Ameer. Run, run, run.

• Fire 2

You forgot Washington part 2 in 2010

Our ranks for comparison....if it matters

2008 Virginia tech - NR

2009 Texas tech - 15

2009 Iowa state - NR

2010 Texas - 5

2010 Washington (neutral) - 18

2011 Northwestern - 9

2012 Wisconsin (neutral) - 14

2013 Iowa - NR

What does this tell us?

I don't really know but losing to an unranked team as a top 10 team pretty terrible. In 2011 we beat #9 Michigan state the week before and # 12 Penn state the next week if those wins are any consolation.

Yet another game where this board will be near unbearable if we don't win by 70 while pillaging their village and claiming their women.

We owe them a good pillaging for their sneak attack of 1654.

Agreed. I am praying for a 50-10 style drubbing just so we can have civil discussions for the next fortnight.

Something needs to happen. Right now all games being played are boring as hell. Wisconsin shuting out Rutgers and Oklahoma putting the smack down on Iowa State. Would rather have close games for the excitement. Last week was the 1st time I wanted to go home from the game early with 5 minutes left (didnt though and never will).

I don't think we are as good as some would say and I don't think Purdue is as bad as some would say. Us on our best day blows them out of the water though. We have yet to play our best football. Maybe today we start. It would be nice to see a good old fashioned Nebraska ass whoopin'......but, if Purdue plays well and makes few mistakes this game could be closer than a lot think it should be. I'll be happy with a win and moving on to 8-1.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/wp/2014/10/31/demornay-pierson-el-excels-as-true-freshman-for-nebraska-football/

"Remember, Pierson-El is the same guy who caught 15 touchdowns as a sophomore, then rushed for 1,658 and 26 touchdowns as a junior, and then threw for 876 yards and seven scores (and rushed for 1,007 yards and 20 TDs) as a senior when West Potomacs starting quarterback went down with an injury in last years season opener."

Those are some crazy numbers.

This was just a small article written by the Washington Post about Pierson-Els early success.

It would be nice to see this kid take another one to the house today. Fun to watch.

I don't think we are as good as some would say and I don't think Purdue is as bad as some would say. Us on our best day blows them out of the water though. We have yet to play our best football. Maybe today we start. It would be nice to see a good old fashioned Nebraska ass whoopin'......but, if Purdue plays well and makes few mistakes this game could be closer than a lot think it should be. I'll be happy with a win and moving on to 8-1.

Same here. Pretty much just want the win and come out of it healthy for the most part. Would be thrilled with a dominating win as a bonus. Won't be thrilled if we play sloppy with lots of penalties and turnovers. Either way, let's get this game and get ready for the final stretch of the season.