***** What did we learn - Boilermaker Edition *****

Until Imani Cross understands his role and starts playing like the type of back god built him to be, we're gonna continue to have this issue. I stole this from Benning who had a real nice commentary the other day that Imani seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt and needs to understand that there's a role in this offense for him just the way he was made to be. Benning went on to explain how he went through the same thing as a sophmore, gaining weight to be more like Lawrence, Childs, and so on until he realized he had a role as well just the way he was.

Same with with Beck. Call plays for the type of guys you have.

Agree about Imani, embrace being the thumper and make folks pay for trying to tackle you in the open field. get low and behind your pads. It would also help if beck realized that his RB's are not interchangeable and called plays to their specific skill set.

• Fire 1

I don't think I could do any better than Beck, but for what we're willing to pay, we could hire a much better offensive coordinator. I don't see Pelini making that happen though. Probably has a cousin coaching in the Canadian Football League, or something.

Like who?

We scored 35 points, which is one single touchdown under our average, which is 12th in the country, and we did it despite:

No Heisman candidate runningback

30mph winds

Tommy Armstrong fumbling or bobbling a handful of snaps

Two ugly interceptions

It wasn't a perfectly called game or a perfectly executed game but no game ever is and I just can not for the life of me figure out what the hell people want in order to be satisfied?

The defense and special teams giving Beck good field position had a lot to do with it.

I don't think I could do any better than Beck, but for what we're willing to pay, we could hire a much better offensive coordinator. I don't see Pelini making that happen though. Probably has a cousin coaching in the Canadian Football League, or something.

Like who?

We scored 35 points, which is one single touchdown under our average, which is 12th in the country, and we did it despite:

30mph winds

Two ugly interceptions

It wasn't a perfectly called game or a perfectly executed game but no game ever is and I just can not for the life of me figure out what the hell people want in order to be satisfied?

I will use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) answer. A complete 4 quarter game of execution.

Until Imani Cross understands his role and starts playing like the type of back god built him to be, we're gonna continue to have this issue. I stole this from Benning who had a real nice commentary the other day that Imani seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt and needs to understand that there's a role in this offense for him just the way he was made to be. Benning went on to explain how he went through the same thing as a sophmore, gaining weight to be more like Lawrence, Childs, and so on until he realized he had a role as well just the way he was.

Cross isn't the one calling outside runs when he's in the game, I thought cross did a good job today lower the shoulder on a couple runs

Just a couple?

Like I said...

I hope you (or Benning) aren't suggesting that he (or any back) should try to seek out contact on every carry, because that would be incredibly stupid.

The defense and special teams giving Beck good field position had a lot to do with it.

Well duh. Now Beck gets lambasted because our defense is good :facepalm:

Any average OC would score starting inside the opponent red zone multiple times.

OC's don't score - players do. People bitch because we ran pistol the first time and Tommy fumbled. We go under center the next time, and Tommy fumbles again. Pretty sure we scored the times that Tommy figured out how to snap the football.

But #BlameBeck indeed.

Like who?

30mph winds

Two ugly interceptions

We had a TD drives of 7 yards and 17 yards today. The defense and special teams created those points. Give credit where it is due, not to Beck. His offense mustered 297 yards on 72 plays against a weak Purdue defense.

Beck is in charge of the offense, and Bo the team, if there are continual mistakes then something needs to be done about them. This is the 4th consecutive game we've had snap issues. Armstrong still never comes off this 1st read. Where is the offensive improvement Bo says good teams have throughout the year?

Any average OC would score starting inside the opponent red zone multiple times.

Even though Neb was tied for 3rd in the country in redzone scoring offense before this game...God...he sucks and so does NEBs offense...get a grip. Not every game is going to be immaculate. Landlord posted why people need to chill the f#*k out.
  • Fire 1

Still struggling with Field Goals. Hasn't completely bitten us yet, but it worries me looking at the rest of the schedule and what's at stake.

TA struggled badly throwing it today. My confidence in his progress has taken a step back for me : /

We can run without AA. But we are nowhere nearly as explosive or dangerous. Plus his leadership on the field is important.

8 defenders in the box to stop the run makes me real nervous because I'm sure Wisc will force Beck/TA to throw to beat them. As will Minn & Iowa.

Gerry is growing into a fine safety. Lots of good players on defense.

Defense played real good today.

Windy games seem to bring out the worst of both teams and not as fun to watch

Having a guy like Abdullah can be a blessing and a curse. The game plan centers around Ameer and even though Cross and Newby are serviceable, they are not him. You take a guy like him out of the game and Beck is forced to call a different style of game. Like others have said, Armstrong is not good at reading progressions, mostly because having Abdullah in the backfield makes it easier to pick out a single receiver in a pattern with one-on-one coverage. He has not developed into a QB capable of reading through progressions yet and that has to do with what Ameer does to a defense.

OC's don't score - players do. People bitch because we ran pistol the first time and Tommy fumbled. We go under center the next time, and Tommy fumbles again. Pretty sure we scored the times that Tommy figured out how to snap the football.

But #BlameBeck indeed.

Who's in charge of the "teaching the QB"? Who calls the plays to put his players in the best chance to succeed? Who knows the strength's and weaknesses of the O? Tim Beck........No QB development. Still sets TA in the pocket like he's Manning and calls plays poundage the square peg into the round hole i.e. Imani trying to go wide, TA throwing to the sidelines etc.... Your QB is not getting it done, then YOU AS THE OC need to friggin fix it. The buck stops with the staff.

I like TA. I think he has great potential. It won't be reached with Beck at the helm. Why did Martinez have to go pay out of his own pocket to get a QB coach?

• Fire 2

Not ripping him by any means, but does anyone ever recall Imani running someone over and keeping going? If you've got a gif of it I'd love to see it. I certainly don't.

Maybe he's just a guy that doesn't have that in his arsenal, despite his size. Maybe he doesn't have the balance involved.

When he was a freshman. I think he got pigeon holed (and rightfully so) as a thumper and short yardage back. For whatever reason, he decided he was an every down back and has changed (to his detriment) his play. He appears to want to dance and juke instead of lowering his head and rocking dudes. He needs to play like the Hulk. Cross Smash......No DB would want to tackle the 235lb behemoth in the open field if he was running behind those pads and picking up his feet. Beast mode activated. By the 4th, guys would shy away from contact and start trying to arm tackle or roll at his legs. Used properly (told this is what we need), IMO he cold be a game changer for NU.